main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren and Rey in VIII and IX (See new guidelines on page 228)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by What Girl, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm pretty certain you saw that big warning a few pages back. If not here it is:

If that's still not clear then let me help... ENOUGH WITH THE VEILED BAITING COMMENTS. THE NEXT PERSON WHO DECIDES TO DO IT WILL BE BANNED.

Birkendoc, IncessantRamblings and EHT like this.
  2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i'm trying to imagine an inverse of kylo... where rey is called by the dark... but i don't know what would call it... because we are like missing her backstory. we don't know what luke (and ben) knew from their journey either... all the sources of conflict for rey have to be invented as speculation...

3. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Good/Evil Dark/Light stories are bitter sweet and strange, finding you can change, learning you were wrong. Just look at ROTJ. Characters have to learn something from their experience/bad actions or there's no point telling the story.

4. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    so in case Luke is reluctant to tell Rey that she is his daughter, I may see a dynamic between Rey and Kylo in which he promises to tell her more. He may know more about Rey's mom and whatever lead to Rey being left on Jakku.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I could see that happening if he knows something but I don't know how far Rey would go to get that knowledge.

6. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Why is he asking "Who are you?" then? [face_dancing]

Personally I want Rey to be no one. The theme of "Hero can come from the most humble origins" is more appealing to me, than shifting the focus on Luke. I'd rather Rey be her own character without any blood ties to Skywalkers imho.

Idril, Birkendoc and What Girl like this.
  7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    the line 'who are you' has Luke in the hut, so it is not his first line, if this line is in the final movie at all. :cool:

starocean90 likes this.
  8. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Also I read somewhere that he may not be talking to Rey. Although, if he was talking to her, it could be that he's asking out of disbelief. Like he's skeptical that it's his daughter, but he's not quite sure he's ready to believe it. For all we know, that line could be right before the reveal.

And Rey being a Skywalker wouldn't shift all of the focus onto Luke. I keep seeing people say that, but I've no idea why that would happen. If anything, her being a nobody probably would because naturally, most fans want to see a Star Wars saga film for the Skywalker. So if Rey isn't a Skywalker, I feel like most people would WANT to focus more on Luke then some random girl showing up to fix the Skywalker's problems.

I always figured that it was common logic for focus to stay on Rey if she was a Skywalker. But if she's not, then all the secrecy could've been avoided, and the big reveal would be pretty lame as well.

And Luke/Anakin already come from humble origins, and were revealed to be something greater, so we've seen that twice. Rey coming from humble origins and being a Skywalker would be exactly what you want. Just saying.

And just a sidenote, if you want a hero coming from humble origins, and being a nobody, there's also Finn, who started out as a lonely nameless pariah of a Stormtrooper, and is going to be someone bigger.

9. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Okay, Luke invites Rey into a hut and pours her a cup of convor tea before asking who she is. :p

Darth Smurf likes this.
  10. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    all of this is why it's hard to discuss rey in the thread... "who are you and why were you left in a pile of sand for the last 14 years?" is a question everyone might like an answer to.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  11. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017
    @RandomGreyJ

Her being a Skywalker would be boring and predictable to me. The awakening of the Force is pawing way for more champions, they dont all have to come from Skywalker family, we already have Kylo fulfilling that role here, along with Luke and Leia. The Sequel trilogy should carry this theme of "hero can be anyone" not just the Skywalkers. If she was Luke's kid, then its once again two Skywalkers going after each other and we have already had that in OT, not to mention the focus going on "Who Luke slept with? "Why leave her in the desert?" etc.
    This is what Rey represent to me - the potential of anyone being able to go on the hero's journey to save the galaxy. Skywalker lineage being part of her character would take from that.
    And besides, whats the problem with "random showing up to fix Skywalker's problems"? She can bring in a fresh and unbiased perspective that will help settle the conflict with Luke and Kylo and offers a huge range of dynamics. Maybe that's what's needed. If you limit her to being a Skywalker, you essentialy have all major Force users hailing from bloodline and their vision and morality dictating the course of history.

Birkendoc likes this.
  12. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    What some call "fixing" I call "Skywalkers can't save the day every time". There's a point in every long-running story where heroic role aka day-saving and also villainy have to be given to new characters or there would be no suspense and excitement if the same ones keep doing it.

ManWithoutAStar likes this.
  13. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016

Can't even discuss their connection in here, tbh. "Their bond means they're cousins, lol."

ManWithoutAStar likes this.
  14. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001

Why not? Their connection could mean a lot of things. Sure, it can mean the could be lovers. Could also mean they are mortal enemies.

It can also mean they are just very similar in their Force energies.

Unless a mod says otherwise, I think their connection/bond/whatever is very much a topic for discussion.

11-4D and IncessantRamblings like this.
  15. ManWithoutAStar

Mar 19, 2017

Being birthed from the Force is not exactly a humble origin.

16. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016

We technically can discuss it. But it turns this place into the parentage thread really quickly. Which is unfortunate because of the many other possible meanings the bond might present, as you've pointed out.

17. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    Okay then, let's discussed the bond in terms of kindred spirits. And by kindred spirits I mean they have had similar experiences, attributes (though sometimes polar opposite). iIt's vague enough, and it could cover all the bases including cousins, siblings, lovers, mortal enemies and just about everything in between.

Kylo and Rey are the following:

1. the two current generation Force users
    2. Kylo is equal parts light and dark
    3. Rey has some element of dark as well, so she may be this balance of light and dark as well.
    4. both have this lack of connection to their real families
    5. have seen in each other's head
    6. They both have a sense of what the other's fears are.
    7. They both had the opportunity to kill each other but did not.
    8. JJ says they have this nebulous "connection" between the two of them.
    So without declaring they are (points if anyone gets the Matt Groening reference) lovers, brothers or both(no, seriously, google it. Best comic strip ever) how do you envision this "connection"
    • do they still see each other's thoughts, fears and memories?
    • does this make them more or less empathetic to the other?
    • Can they communicate with each other?
    This connection could be something like the Revan-esque force bond (which, since I don't really know the Revan lore, it's still nebulous to me) or is it something more organic or intangible?

18. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016
    I personally believe Kylo and Rey will communicate via the bond at least once prior to their physical meeting in TLJ. Rey could simply hear his thoughts being projected toward her, voluntarily or otherwise. She may respond, she may not. Would be interesting if she initiated contact.

As for seeing each other's memories, it's very possible Rey could have a dream or vision showing crucial parts of Kylo's backstory. I can see something like this inspiring sympathy in her for him, or at the very least, a desire to learn more and understand.

19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    edit - removed

please don't just post an image without explanation. confuses everyone. thx

20. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Luke Skywalker didn't exactly save the day in RotJ at the end. Lando's the one who blew up the 2nd Death Star, which would've killed Vader and Palpatine regardless of what Luke did. Luke even told him "Soon I'll be dead, and you with me."

Anakin didn't save the day at the end of RoTS OR RoTJ. He saved Luke from Palpatine, sure, but that's about it. There's a reason that Luke, Anakin, and Rey were accompanied by Obiwan, Padme, Han, Leia, Poe, and Finn. Because Star Wars movies make a point of showing the audience that even Skywalkers need help from time to time.

starocean90 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  21. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Being a slave of a single mother is.

starocean90 and Birkendoc like this.
  22. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016

1 & 3. I think they may still be able to see each other’s thoughts, fears, memories, etc., but I think since Rey is still new to this whole Force thing (as far as understanding it) Kylo will be more apt to either use it to his advantage or to try and communicate using it. 2. I think it could make either more sympathetic to the other (depending on what they see/feel).

I think the feeling that passes between them as the novelization says “AN ENERGY THEY RECOGNIZE IN EACH OTHER”, where momentarily they aren’t adversaries, is the Force itself either creating a connection because they are in each other’s minds or the energy they recognize is because Rey is also an ‘ideal embodiment of the Force, a focal point of both light and dark side ability’ as Snoke claims Kylo is.

What Girl likes this.
  23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    My theories:

Kylo will track down Rey and Luke, kill Luke and duel Rey

Rey, Luke or Leia will kill Kylo

Kylo will persuade Rey to join him, possibly killing Snoke in the same episode

Kylo will duel Leia and either br redeemed or kill her

Luke will try and redeem Kylo based on his experience with Vader, unless Han's death affects him the other way

Rey will certainly want to kill Kylo

The connection between Rey and Kylo will be revealed

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    Some thoughts on Snoke's seduction of Kylo.

So Kylo is on the FO side in opposition to his Mother, the Resistance/NewRepublic side. His POV maybe the NRepublic represents chaos to him, as do his parents. Though why Snoke would be more of the disciplined powerful father figure than Luke would be doesn't make sense to me. I suppose it depends what Snoke is whispering into his ear and at what age.

Per Acoylytes of the Darkside in Empire's End, perhaps Kylo is also lured to Snoke in pursuit of a girl other than Rey,at first. The desire for a dictorial Father figure who willl impose order on the murderers, traitors and thieves, like his Dad--from Kylo's POV. A clearly knowledgeable & powerful father figure who seems to have all the answers, like a cult leader, would have great allure to a confused young man, with great abilities. Add available females, FO and KoR might be very tempting to Ben. In addition, the addictive nature of darkside artifacts, like masks, like DV's helmet may also keep Ben enthralled, like a drug, and also somewhat detached from empathy for others.

Thoughts?

25. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001

Why do you keep insinuating that it is wrong to be Kylo fan or that we can't agree on somethings? This is a mutual fandom, not a race.

What Girl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.