main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren and Rey in VIII and IX (See new guidelines on page 228)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by What Girl, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdTde33

jdTde33 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2016
    But is Rey a Jedi yet? Even though I do expect her to become one by the end, it's still possible for her to become a different type of force user altogether or something.

2. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    Seemed to me the whole point of the first half of TFA was to get Rey and Ren together in that interrogation room. That scene was the most important part of the film.

I've read where JJ said that the Vader/Leia interrogation scene disturbed him, but I didn't pick up that he wanted to replicate the horror. You never get to see the Leia/Vader torture scene - you just have to imagine it. But we get to see the whole of the Ren/Rey encounter, and we see that Ren doesn't have a torture droid with needles hovering over Rey, and doesn't treat her the way Vader treated Leia. We do get to see that they're both aware of some kind of shared awareness / connection. It's a kind of an anti-Vader/Leia deal.

That scene was the heart of the film, and the moment that Ren's ascendancy started to crumble. Whatever connection they have is going to be the heart of the story going forward.

With saber fights and space battles too, obviously.

3. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Yeah, I seriously doubt Rey is going to "get revenge" by slaughtering Kylo. She had that chance, and she spared him.

4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't expect Rey to slaughter Kylo, but I think the choice was kind of made for her in TFA.

5. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    MichaelSkellig

Exactly. They played it in such a way that it got people talking. Some read it one way, some read it another way and that's the whole point. They want debate and that we are not certain what to make of it and how it'll be important in the future. It's a fantastic scene, very layered, full of subtext, brilliantly acted, can't praise actors enough cause they really sold the whole thing which could have easily slipped into silliness. And the connection was felt. Like Yoda and X Wing that made one feel like there was indeed the Force between them, you could feel the Force flowing between these characters. And on the Cliffside, of course.

jdTde33 Good point though I can't imagine new Jedi or new Force Users becoming vendetta-approving radicals. I think it's going to be a bit like this without calling anyone Grey (since we don't have anything else to compare to, this will do, and the first "grey" rule is very similar to Churrut's chant, which is Whills chant):

[​IMG]

Artoo-Dion True, even JJ says that they deliberately had "operatic" ground opening to leave it ambiguous whether she would have killed him or not.

oncafar likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If the whole point is because they "want debate" and to "get people talking," it sounds like the whole point is to stir up drama for the sake of stirring up drama, which seems pretty juvenile.

Which is why I don't think that's the whole point. I think the whole point was to show what lengths Kylo Ren would go to in order to access the map to his uncle, to show that he was surprised to find out that there was another Force user and he had not killed all of them (and finished what Vader started), and to give another demonstration of Rey's power.

wobbits and La Calavera like this.
  7. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016
    I felt that the movie itself left it ambiguous. But the databank, all of the novelizations, and the official script make it clear that she spared him.

I realize the commentary says they decided to save it for another time. But even so, I don't see her making a different call in the future.

oncafar likes this.
  8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    if rey's on a vengeance quest she's becoming a *sith* not a jedi. vengeance involves passion and with force abilities, the dark side.

What Girl likes this.
  9. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016
    Rey closes her eyes for a long beat. When Rey opens them,
    she is centered, fortified, and she POUNDS BACK, SINGLE HANDED
    SWIPES, hitting Ren's gnarly, spitting saber with incredible
    FORCE. It's so fast now, so furious, that Kylo Ren FALLS
    BACK -- She ATTACKS HARDER!
    Ren gets up again but she HITS HIS SABER'S HILT -- HIS BLADE
    GOES FLYING OFF, TUMBLING INTO THE SNOW -- and she SLASHES

AGAIN AND AGAIN AND HITS KYLO REN SQUARE IN THE HEAD AND
    CHEST. HE GOES DOWN, SUDDENLY A FEARFUL MAN, A LARGE BURN SCAR SLASHED ACROSS HIS FACE! He still reaches for his saber.
    And she could kill him -- right now, with ONE VICIOUS STRIKE!
    But she stops. Realizing she stands on a greater edge than even the cliff -- the edge of the dark side. The earth
    SHAKES. The earth splits. A gully forms.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with this, but at the time of TFA and likely a good part of TLJ, she is training to be a Jedi, hardly a full-fledged one. And Luke was able to be almost provoked into vengeance in the throne room scene of ROTJ, when he was for all practical purposes fully trained.

I don't expect her to be on a full-on vengeance quest, but I would not put it past her, nor would I have a problem with it, if she felt that she needed to eliminate him due to his being a threat.

Luke would be the one sparing him because killing him is not the Jedi way.

11. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i'm referring to the idea that rey kills kylo out of vengeance, in case anyone is suggesting this (which maybe no one was?).

What Girl likes this.
  12. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016
    I suppose Rey had better be quick and kill everyone she hates before completing her Jedi training since she won't be able to do it then. Or something.

oncafar likes this.
  13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Once Kylo saw the sabre hilt evade his grasp and fly into the hands of Rey? He knew that beyond doubt, she was indeed the Awakening he and Snoke had spoken of sensing in the Force. But he was severely injured. He was weak, vulnerable. He called on all his strength to resist her aggression but it was no good

14. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I interpret that as her deciding which path to take... and not committing to a choice when the choice is taken from her.

15. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    it does give rey more of a challenge to overcome if she's drawn by the dark side more than it really appeared she was (to me) in TFA, rather than overcoming the dark side so easily right from the start.

i mean she does get caught up in things? she was really into shooting the stormtroopers, and kept shooting at kylo over and over, and i definitely thought she was using the dark side when she defeated kylo. maybe consistently things have interrupted her.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  16. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016

You see her choosing the light path, but possibly striking him down in vengeance later?

17. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The wording in the script suggests to me that she is teetering on the edge of light and dark at the point when the ground opens up.

oncafar likes this.
  18. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    If Rey is naturally drawn to the Darkside of the Force, I want there to be a good reason why. If so, is Luke going to reject and refuse to train her?

What Girl likes this.
  19. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016

It's pretty interesting isn't it? Rey is light, but is drawn to the dark side. Whereas Kylo is on the dark side and feels a pull to the light.

I personally think Rey has dark origins, but has chosen the light. And the reverse is true about Kylo.

wobbits and Jcuk like this.
  20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i was thinking of it as the contrast to kylo who chose the dark side but is called by the light. rey has chosen the light side, and so completing the contrast, she would be called by the dark side. and maybe the things mentioned in my previous post are examples of that. somehow i don't think luke would refuse to train her because then this whole problem with the dark side and snoke and so on can never be solved.

What Girl likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Interesting to hear what others thoughts are on the possible premise of Rey turning to the Dark, and Ben embracing the light. With Ben then eventually slaying Rey in an epic duel. But the guilt he carries of murdering his father is a curse he can never free himself of. He is both Dark and Light..

22. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    although i've suggested rey actually turning to the dark side before (that it could happen if *she* killed snoke herself and used the dark side to do it), i never really thought of her staying there long (or killing anyone else)... i probably think it generally unlikely that rey would actually *turn* to the dark side? she is the hero of the trilogy

23. What Girl

Mar 12, 2016
    They are yin and yang. Two halves of a whole, finding balance together.

[​IMG]

ManWithoutAStar and oncafar like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ugh, no.

I expect Rey to be tempted by the Dark Side but not to turn.

La Calavera and vncredleader like this.
  25. jujukane

jujukane Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 20, 2016
    I believe Kylo killing the clan leader and the KoR appearing are two absolutely different events. In the vision its just looking as it is all belonging together, but I think this is not true. I believe Kylo killing the Clan-Leader all alone in the past triggers a vision for him where he sees Ahch-To in the future, him being approached by the KoR there and of course Rey, who experiences exactly the same vision, but in another time, when she touches Anakins Lightsaber. Kylo and Rey are catapultet into the same vision but its triggerd for them by different times and circumstances.
    But they both see each other in the exact same obviously crucial future event on Ahch-To, where they are approached by the KoR in the rain.
    Kylo kills the Clan-Leader not there but this murder for some reason lets him see his and Rey's future.

I think this is hinted a little in the novelisation, where there is first a dry grassland and a battle with a lightsaber is occuring there. I believe the clan leader is killed there, in this dry grassland.

Does this make any sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.