main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren and Rey in VIII and IX (See new guidelines on page 228)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by What Girl, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    This is what Kathleen Kennedy says on the matter, most important line, IMO, is what I put in red:

“[Q] You really wanted Adam Driver for this role. What made him the perfect Kylo Ren ?

[KK] I had the opportunity to work with Adam on Lincoln. That was our first met. From the moment we started to think about this character, Kylo Ren, Adam was an obvious choice to me, and one of the few actors who could play him. J.J didn’t know him as well as I did, but he was immediately convinced when they met. He was one of the first actors we had considered for the role and it was an early decision. One of the most interesting aspects of Kylo Ren is his young age. Most of the time, villains are damaged, troubled and older. Making the new Star Wars villain a 30 years old man was a captivating choice. We could take advantage from a troubled adolescence and a past we know very little about. There we could find this tension between light and dark which dominates all the Star Wars universe. We could use it as a metaphor for the path that leads a young adult to his accomplished adult life. The characters who can be drawn to the dark side and seduced by all sorts of experiences that might be dangerous are compelling for us. For today’s audience it’s an original, fascinating and appealing character.​

When we look at our own lives, it all depends on the choices we’ve made. Kylo Ren seems to have taken many bad decisions, but they aren’t necessarily bad decisions within the context of Star Wars, where they can lead to almost anything. This story reflects the real world. Many kids evolve in a political environment that can be difficult to decipher, and many events suggest that people are drawn to danger, trouble and agitation. In terms of international policy, there’s a sense that we live a time full of upheavals. The political structure of the Star Wars narratives reflects this in a unique way. Kylo Ren represents this dark side of society that can be appealing when we don’t know which side to choose and right and wrong become very vague concepts. All these aspects make Kylo Ren a really complex character and offer us many different options for future plots.”​

Here's the link to the original interview in French, from French Star Wars magazine:

http://thehermitsacedia.tumblr.com/post/140041132904/kathleen-kennedy-on-kylo-ren

2. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Interesting that she says "this story reflects the real world," when people are constantly saying "ignore the real world!" when it comes to Kylo.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, since no one wants to stay on topic, and you've all completely ignored Darth Chiznuk's earlier warning, we'll just lock this thread for the day.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Okay, let's see if we can stay on topic this time. This means do not start up arguments from yesterday, again.

IncessantRamblings and Birkendoc like this.
  5. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    how would you guys feel if kylo maims rey in TLJ. I'm not really feeling that direction. Its predictable and its just some unspoken right of passage that jedi heroes, especially skywalkers, have to lose a limb. They're likely gonna make him best her in some form or fashion, but I just hope they don't go the dismember route.

6. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    I figure one of them is going to lose a limb. Could be a leg this time. Won't be shocked or angered in the least.

7. Jabba'sFirstCousin72

Jabba'sFirstCousin72 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 21, 2017
    If plot requires it, the limbs are lost.

Luke lost a limb in ROTJ with a purpose - as a reminder that he could become like his father.
    We'll see if they are taking that route again.

8. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Let's look at Furious 7, where you got Jason Statham as a badass villain called Deckard Shaw with his epic fight against Vin Diesel and got sent to a super-secure slammer in the end... (Spoiler alert) Only to get released in Fast 8 as a reluctant ally of Hobbs & co., with yet another crazy bash-up session, this time with Dwayne Johnson, and Deckard ended up being accepted into the family after doing something good! =D=

So maybe we will see Kylo Ren ending up this way? With him becoming a somewhat morally ambiguous character in The Last Jedi rather than a full-fledged villain, and everyone subsequently finding out that it was Snoke who was organizing everything behind the scenes... And Kylo finally redeeming himself fully by the time Episode IX rolls around...

Birkendoc likes this.
  9. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Let's not.

...(Not to be rude)

Lucillalin and Darth Smurf like this.
  10. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I was just going to observe but I fear this is leading down a path that could see the thread locked again so let's change direction.

How does Kylo Ren's past actions complicate Rey's relationship with Luke and how does that feed back into how Kylo Ren and Rey deal with one another?

11. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Prince and Princess of the new Jedi, sorry for the hype but they looks sensational:

[​IMG]

oncafar and ManWithoutAStar like this.
  12. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I know it won't happen, but I LOVE the idea of Rey being marketed as a "princess" of sorts. Because wouldn't it be awesome if little girls imagined Rey when they "play princess"?

13. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    JoJoPenelli I'm sure that they are re-imaging Princess brand with independent, active, strong characters and that they may not call her a Princess but one can get the gist that Princess is now something else.

14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Wonderful!
    [​IMG]

15. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Nothing can rain on my parade! I'm getting what I've always wanted which is

STAR WARS MEETS LOTR!!!!

Look at them! She's a Jedi, and he's a high fantasy Prince. My dream of merging SW and LOTR is coming true! Thank you Rey and Ren! ^:)^

16. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    It will drive Kylo CRAZY to learn that - aside from becoming close with his father and piloting his father's ship, Rey is now being trained and (most likely) learning secrets/revelations about the Force from his uncle and - perhaps - is being seen by the family as the "true" Skywalker heir (even if she ends up not being a Skywalker by blood).

To some extent, Kylo sees himself as the rightful Skywalker heir. He may now superficially rejecting his family now, but I think one of his primary motivations to kill/defeat Rey may be pure jealousy. I love this idea because that be a motivation that is VERY understandable, and even somewhat relatable (vs just revenge for being humiliated).

17. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Kylo's lightsaber looks normal there.

oncafar likes this.
  18. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    You mean the blade?

19. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    If this is true and Battlefront didn't alter them. I like the costumes a lot. Both appear badass, Rey especially.

Love how Rey has taken on a darker costume than Luke. She strikes me as more Anakin-esque in the lines and color of her outfit. Very jedi without a complete redux of what we've seen before.

And Kylo isn't as Vader-y as spoilers made it sound. it's his own look as well. Kind of a blend of the baddies like Dooku and Vader yet very much his own identity shines through

I like these outfits. They will help to define the characters more.

20. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017

Impossible to determine from such small resolution. We need higher resolution to say for sure. But I believe it's still unstable, judging by the teaser.

TheBBP likes this.
  21. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001

Also remember they are video game renderings, so lower your expectation a bit. These aren't stills from the film or promo shots of the actual actors.

ManWithoutAStar likes this.
  22. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    It say's movie production stills, am confused. Also I know that Rey is Chloe Bruce who is also Rey in the movie? Am a bit confused now.

23. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Birkendoc definitely Anakin colors on Rey but lighter:

[​IMG]

of course, this is just an excuse to post Hayden's hotness. :p[face_love]

Dark Horse No confusion, you get exclusive movie production stills of Rey and Ren with pre-order. It was advertised with the first Kylo image (which was from the game but based on TLJ).

Kenobis were quick to point out Kenobi color sheme :p

[​IMG]

Valency Jane and Dark Horse like this.
  24. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    i FEEL like kylo could maim rey and she loses a hand as long as they do a bunch of other different stuff this would be a nice throwback.

25. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Maiming made sense in OT because of the "more machine than a man" thing (and later, of course, PT had to explain what led to it). But they aren't going in that direction here. Also, Daisy is heavily hinting at sustaining an emotionally injury. We don't know who or what hurts her feelings, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.