main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren's hatred for Finn

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Starsaber49, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starsaber49

Starsaber49 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 22, 2015
    Kylo Ren hates Finn. Calls him a traitor angrily, brutalizes him in a fit of sadistic sith rage, actively seems to focus on him as a problem. He see's Rey as a potential ally/advantage, something to give to Snoke and earn his approval. He see's Poe as an obstruction to his goal at the beginning of the movie. And it would make logical sense for him to see Finn as just a nusiance, a pest. But for some reason, Kylo Ren targets Finn and focuses his rage at him.

Why is this?

Lets examine first off, Kylo's comment of "traitor!" to Finn. He for some reason actively takes offense to Finn's betrayal, and focuses on Finn before Rey. Its odd. But only if you don't consider the fact that when given the choice to kill innocents and 'serve the dark side', Finn didnt do it, and immediatly began planning to escape, helping Poe escape in the process. Finn for all his grumbling, always chose to do the heroic, moral thing. He never hesistated. Finn isn't conflicted about his nature, Finn always chose the light.

Kylo instead is conflicted, and see's Finn as a traitor to the First Order, and by extension Snoke, but also see's Finn as someone who was given the same choice as Kylo, and willingly chose the light side without hesistation. And that's why Kylo has a massive hate-on for Finn.

Do you guys have any other reason's for why Kylo got so hate-filled towards Finn in thier fight? Please let me know.

2. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    The Force has awoken in Finn too. Kylo senses it.

Will be a pink prancing Darth_Britney if this doesn't come to pass (I like to live dangerously).

3. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    I think the moment where Kylo screams 'TRAITOR' at Finn has as much to do with Rey as Finn himself. He's positively frothing at the mouth in that moment, and I think it's probably because Rey very clearly represents everything he is struggling to resist - she is innocent, kind and compassionate, a clear embodiment of the Light side of the Force. By going to her when she is down, Finn is doing what a part of Kylo would probably like to do. He's maddened by it because he's dangerously close to experiencing the same 'weakness' (which is how he'd perceive it), and he lashes out violently as much to suppress and deny his own 'weakness' as to punish Finn for his treachery.

That's my reading, anyway.

4. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    We often most hate in others what we hate about ourselves.

Kylo may be projecting onto Finn his hatred for traitors because he himself is a traitor.

5. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Kylo/Ben's scream at the end was so visceral ... great, great performance again.

6. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    i think Kylo wants Rey to be his dark side girlfriend, and Finn is his competition lol.

Mana and moonjump05 like this.
  7. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    My thoughts exactly. Deep down, he probably sees Rey as what he (Kylo) could've been had he made the better choices and hates himself for it.

8. DiditAllForTheWookie

DiditAllForTheWookie Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2001
    He absolutely senses that Finn is Force Sensitive. That plays a huge role.

And he is force sensitive...don't even bother.

cbsnswf2390 and KalThor like this.
  9. General_Cartman_Lee

General_Cartman_Lee Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    I didn't see any indication that Finn was force sensitive, let alone Kylo sensing it.

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Finn ain't force sensitive people, he literally did nothing force like all movie

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  11. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    It had more to do with Finn giving away the weakness to Starkiller base and also him wanting to help Rey. Also Kylo at that point was so out of it and not in control that he was going to say anything.

JediRocks74 and Force22 like this.
  12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Kylo probably dislikes Finn for a few reasons, but one big one is because Finn reminds him of himself -- they are both traitors.

Ren is a huge hypocrite, and obviously he feels guilt for being a traitor, so he takes his own self-hate out on Finn.

13. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    It could be "projection" added to the obvious betrayal he feels as well. He feels betrayed by his father…his family. Even part of him felt betrayed by Snoke (for not having full faith in him….for Han's prediction of being thrown away once Snoke was done with him). And he feels deep inside that he is a traitor himself to his family and friends. So this added projection (in psychological terms) comes out.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Perhaps, just perhaps, Kylo called Finn a traitor because he is one?

15. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    I agree with the OP. We all choose our rivals, and Kylo zeroed in pretty intently on Finn. The force didn't have anything to do with it, he just hated that guy. Ren staring at Finn at the beginning of the film as if in bewilderment at his hesitation to kill, Finn rescuing Poe and impeding Ren's mission to hunt Luke, Finn staring down in judgement after Ren killed Han, and then the kicker: Finn holding Vader's saber.

It seems like no matter what Kylo does, Finn is always there getting in his way, making better choices, unhesitatingly embracing the light. Rey's only half of the problem, we should fully expect Ren to be obssessed with killing Finn and proving once and for all that he's the better man.

16. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I don't think anyone's disputing that. There's a much deeper reason, we believe, as to why Kylo's screaming "TRAITOR!" to Finn.

To me, Finn is what Kylo SHOULD have been, what he COULD have been and Kylo's so ashamed of himself that he's unwilling to admit it. Killing Finn would rid him of the guilt that keeps pinging at him.

Ian passman likes this.
  17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

The most simplest explanation is often the case in this movie. Finn is a traitor and that's why Kylo calls him that. In the military deserters and traitors are lower than the enemy as far as the top brass are concerned.

18. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Exactly. It's as if in Ren's warped mind Finn's mere existence is calling him to account for his deeds. Did you see his face when he realized Finn had seen him kill his father? He lost it.

Then there was his reaction to Rey's interference; whenever any tried to shoot him before, Kylo would freeze them in place. This time, he knocked her twenty feet into a tree. She got in the way, and he couldn't have that. Killing Finn was as important to Ren as killing Han at this point, and ridding himself of the ghost of the man he could have been.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that's a lot of falsehood for one post.

20. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    In the novel, when Kylo reads Rey's minds, he notices that she likes him (not necessarily anything romantic, I think the sentence used is that she finds him more than tolerable).

He might see Finn as an obstacle in bringing Rey to his side.

That of course on top of a lot that everyone has mentioned.

21. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    It may well turn out that Finn and not Rey by the end of all of this, is the one with all of the glory.

Can go either way.

The way I see it, the producers left this open for fear of alienating the fans who are a bit disturbed by the idea of having a non-traditional hero archetype carrying the mantle.

If I were the producers here I would follow initial instincts rather than play it safe. The whole point of Finn is to show that an underling can achieve the highest aspirations, and Finn made clear that he thinks that is at least possible, with a naive comment about using the force.

In many ways Finn is already the new Han Solo, and yet he is also young Luke. I would go even further and say he represents something more. This is the first time we have seen a 180 degree turn around. The character "Kylo Ren" senses this. He stops and looks at Finn. There is no reason for him to do this BTW, unless he was paying attention to all of his troops.

For me it would be a wasted opportunity if Finn does not progress and it would be a failure of the most essential premise of this story.

22. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The "Traitor!" line was a clear evocation of Anakin's "Liar!" line in Revenge of the Sith. A great PT callback.

23. DiditAllForTheWookie

DiditAllForTheWookie Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2001

You lack basic common sense.

24. Hoth Chocolate

Hoth Chocolate Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 21, 2015
    That joke ain't funny.

No but seriously some of you already hit the nail on the head. Finn is a traitor to the FO, the same way Ren was a traitor to the New Jedi Order. He sees Finn as a mirror of himself and his own self-loathing comes out as hatred towards Finn.

25. OZQUAD44

OZQUAD44 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    I like the basic stuff which the film clearly points out
    -Finn didn't kill at the village, Kylo felt that something was up and stared directly at him.
    -Finn helps Poe escape
    -Finn is a traitor, and that is worse than any enemy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.