main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

kyp durron lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediBettyBug18, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBettyBug18

JediBettyBug18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    Is there a specific design for Kyp Durron's lightsaber? Or is that open field to play in?

love, marybeth

2. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    This is from a site called "Thelightsaber.com". It has the "Histories" of various Jedi and what their sabers supposedly looked like. Some are taken from books and/or comics, some are just made up.

[image=http://www.thelightsaber.com/web/HistorySabers/SmallPics/KypDuronRedSM.jpg]

Miniature figure:

[image=http://www.thecustomalliance.com/glassman/gg-kyp2-1.jpg]

If you do a Google image search, you're going to get different designs. That happens all the time in comics and graphic novels, too.

I'd say, either pick a design that you like the look of, or mix your favorite elements from several. I don't think there's any definitive design for Kyp's lightsaber.

3. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Is there a specific color?

4. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I could swear he had a green blade, but I can't really remember.

- Bill

5. PirateofRohan

Dec 11, 2009
    I'm just wondering because I've seen pics of him with s gold one, a red one, and a purple one. I think it's purple, but I just wanted to know if anyone knew for sure.

6. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Depends on the book, I have always gone with purple for him, as a Kyp Fan. But you're right, I have seen gold, Red and green.

7. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    More often than not it's purple. Some artists have taken a red-purple variation.

I was under the impression that Kyp's lightsaber was actually that of Gantoris, one of Luke's first Jedi students who died in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. I could be wrong on that, though.

8. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    Excerpt from Wookiepedia:

"The "Dark Man" Gantoris had seen in his dreams had begun to talk to him, convincing him that Skywalker was withholding the true secrets of Jedi knowledge. Gantoris' impatience only heightened the temptation of the power the Dark Man claimed to teach. Skywalker's student eventually discovered the "Dark Man" was in fact Exar Kun, a long-dead fallen Jedi turned Sith Lord who had instigated the Great Sith War 4,000 years earlier.[7] Desperate to learn more, he undertook this mysterious tutelage, learning first how to rid his tiredness from his body so he never had to sleep.[2] Soon after this, when roaming the area surrounding the Praxeum while the other students slept, Gantoris began to understand techniques required in constructing a dual-phase lightsaber[1] thanks to Kun's guidance.[8] To construct the weapon, he used three corusca gems that he had found near one of the Massassi temples. The combination of these gems gave the blade a purple hue, and also possessed the ability to quickly increase its blade length to be three times that of a normal lightsaber.[2]"

"Following his death, Gantoris was buried in a grove on Yavin 4, and the site was marked by a gray plinth.[6] His lightsaber was used by several students at the Praxeum who did not possess lightsabers of their own?Kirana Ti wielded it when the students stood against Exar Kun's spirit and Kyp Durron was given it during a redemption test by Skywalker. Durron had to go into Kun's temple with the lightsaber?he passed the test by refusing to use it to strike down Kun's shadow that appeared before him. The shadow then changed into Durron's brother, Zeth Durron, showing he had passed.[10] Corran Horn was motivated by the rivalry the pair had shared to create his own dual-phase lightsaber, to prove his skill was as good as Gantoris'.[6]"

"Gantoris's lightsaber is described in Dark Apprentice to be purple-white with rainbow colors running along its length. No other works involving lightsabers reference these shimmering colors, with Gantoris's lightsaber itself referred to as purple, amethyst or purple-white in other works, including I, Jedi, The Jedi Academy Sourcebook, and The New Essential Chronology.

The Jedi Academy Sourcebook allows the playable Gantoris character to wield a double-bladed lightsaber, although his lightsaber is specified as being dual-phase from both Dark Apprentice and I, Jedi."

So I guess he had a purple blade, of sorts, after all.

Sudooku likes this.
  9. PirateofRohan

Dec 11, 2009
    Wow. That clears up alot.

10. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    I do try to help. But it was a great question because I was curious, myself.

- Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.