Kyp Durron, love him or hate him, but in this forum he's good for debating

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Knight1192, Oct 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yep, me, perhaps a well known Kyp hater writing a Kyp thread. And not one to say how much I like the character or hate him. But to say how good he is as fodder for debates here in the lit forum. I mean, look at virtually all the Kyp threads that have popped up in here. Always you get both the Kyp lovers and Kyp haters show up, and debates always insue. Usually, they seem to be fairly heated debates at that. But whether you love him or hate him, you have to admit that he makes a good topic for a debate.

So sound off folks. Let's know what you think about Kyp debates.
  2. JediMasterAaron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I for one, know that my enjoyment would be much less if Kyp Durron were not around. The guy produces some great discussion, that's for sure.

JMA
  3. Kier_Nimmion Jedi Grand Master

star 5

First I should thank you for starting this thread. So...thank you.
  4. Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Master

star 4
    That's true. Kyp seems to polarise EU fans with his mere existence. You could start a thread that asks "Who would win in a fight between Kyp and a Mutant Woolamander" and be guaranteed to get Woolamander supporters eager for a showdown with Kyp lovers. :D
  5. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Now in a thread like that I'd have to go with Kyp. I mean, mutant animals tend to loose out everytime to Force-users.
  6. NarundiJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    whooooooooooo!!! You guys rock!!! This is a hella good topic! maybe I'll get more into it tomorrow, but I just wanted to tell you that I wish I'd thought of that name :D

Jae Angel
  7. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  8. JediStryker Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't mind debating his fans, but as long as they are calm and friendly debates involving him are alright. I personally don't believe he contributes much to the NJO or the EU in general, but that's just me.

If he went bye-bye tomorrow, I'd shed nary a tear.

EDIT: Whoops, I hope no one saw my original post. My mind was somewhere else.
  9. Emiaj Force Ghost

star 2
    Dear LFL,

Please kill of Kyp stop He is the cause of far to many pointless threads stop Infact could you please erase him from existence altogether question-mark Just please please make it stop

10. exar-tull Force Ghost

star 5
    i personly don't like him, however the debats are very fun.
  11. mjerome3 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Kyp Durron is a very interesting character. Although I disagree with how he goes about things, I still respect him.
  12. Kier_Nimmion Jedi Grand Master

star 5

One thing I am still fuzzy on: In Jedi Search, didn't Kyp blow away his home star system Carida, and kill his brother or his family? I got the impression that after Luke got him back and the whole Exar Kun thing was resolved, Kyp sort of got back on to the straight and narrow. So if he felt regret for killing more people in one shot than the Emperor did in a year, then why is he such a jerk now? Has he learned nothing from his little episode with the Sun Crusher?

If this is not the case and he has in fact fallen to the Dark Side, why hasn't anyone done anything. Ganner was wise enough to realize that Kyp was heading down the dark path, so was Corran and a lot of other people, so why hasn't Luke done anything? If it's a case of letting him plot his own destiny, then that destiny is going to cost a great many lives

Since Luke is the chief cook and bottle washer when it comes to the Jedi- a defacto occurance, really, but he is sorta the guy in charge, it should fall to him to reign Kyp in since whenever Durron does something, it usually costs lives, which is usually not just on the other side. It seems more like Kyp's on a slow and steady slide since Jedi Search, which has been what, 14 years? If he hasn't slipped over to Darth Durron or Kyp Maul territory by now, it will probably never happen, either that or they're waiting for Kevin J. Anderson to figure out what his eventual fate will be.

13. MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm in completely agreement with Kier Nimmion. I definetely thought after Jedi Search and the whole Exar Kun episode that Kyp would have his act together. Even more so after Darksaber when he DID have his act together. granted, i didn't read leviathan but i assumed that kyp had gone the straight and narrow and was becoming a good jedi knight.

but when i read vector prime, i discovered this rift among the jedi. i assume, when decided who should lead the other faction, that kyp would be an obvious choice, but it shows a completely de-evolution from the character that was developed at his introduction.

and another point, he will be forced to face Dark Side (or should i say Drak Side) Jaina when the time comes, but he will not kill her and she won't kill him.
  14. I-poodoo Jedi Master

star 4
    This thread is what I've been saying for the past few months.

Kyp good or bad he's what makes several of us buy the latest NJO, a marvelous character foil to both Luke and Jacen.
  15. NarundiJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    All I gotta say is that if Kevin J Anderson was writing the NJO then you'd see a very different Kyp. He'd be a good guy because he's one of Kevin's creations. Other authors don't see him that way. That's why he's such a jerk in the NJO. This isn't about whether Kyp learned a lesson or not from Carida, it's just a difference in the way the authors write him. I guess we could go into why Kyp suddenly became such a jerk, but since there are no books from Jedi Academy Leviathan until Vector Prime with him in them it's a lot easier just to say he's such a jerk because the writers write him that way.
    For the record, I don't think the NJO would be quite as fun if there weren't jerks like Kyp around for you to hate. I personally like that he's a jerk. If he were real, I'd probably want to smack him too :D

Jae Angel
  16. Durron001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I think he is one of the greatest characters created out of the EU, up there with Mara jade and so forth. It's just that Kyp haters piss me off when they want him killed and then I start flaming. If you guys would stop egging del rey into making an unwise financial decision than there would be peace. I love how Durron, doesn't give a crap about what the Skywalkers think, they are just people too. And he's such a bad@$$ that Mara will only talk about him behind his back, fearing that she would meet the fate of her late emperor. In fact only a few select jedi(mostly the only one's with midi counts on his level) will voice their opinions about him. And the inner council is lucky he never stops by because if they were spouting stuff about jedi-persecution when he was in the vicinity, they would be personally dealt with. Kyp is a lot like Lancelot, who always crapped on whatever Arthur said, got all the ladies, and kicked the enemies butts while taking names.
  17. Durron001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hey logically if Luke were to die wouldn't Kyp take over. THe solo kids are too young no matter what anybody thinks, and Kyp has seniority over Mara(reached Master before her, more driven jedi, etc.)
  18. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Kam is the heir apparent to the leadership role. He's now the head instructor at the Academy, he was the Jedi that performed the ceremony at Luke and Mara's wedding, and he's universally respected.

EDIT:

According to the poll, Kyp is behind!
    Kyp: 0 votes
    Mutant Woolamander: 5 votes
    Mutual Annihilation: 3 votes

This is the most traffic that the Maritimes fanfic forum has had at one at time! :p
  19. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    One thing I am still fuzzy on: In Jedi Search, didn't Kyp blow away his home star system Carida, and kill his brother or his family?

Kyp was introduced to us as a prisoner of Kessel in Jedi Search. He helped Han and Chewie escape the prison planet and ended up as a prisoner with them at Maw Instillation It would not be until Champions of the Force that Kyp started using the Sun Crusher to destroy star systems.

Kyp's home planet was Anoat, and he was born on the Deyer Colony. Anoat is not in the Carida system. Thusly, Kyp did not destroy his home star system when he destroyed the Caridia system.

When Kyp was eight, stormtroopers broke into his house and took his family into custody. His brother Zeth was sent away to the Imperial Academy on Caridia where he would be trained to be a stormtrooper. Kyp and his parents were sent to Kessel. When Moruth Doole took over the prison on Kessel, Kyp's folks were among those he had killed.

Kyp did destroy Caridia, and essentially killed his brother. Yet one can surmise that Zeth would possibly have died anyway. Lt. Dauron hit Zeth pretty hard on the head. While it's possible he could have survived the blow, if treated, it's also possible that he would not recieve the needed treatment in time.

And there's no need for a poll to say "Do you think Kyp is a good subject for debate?" This really isn't about debateing Kyp at all. It's about us seeing him as a good subject for debates. Basically, no matter which side of the Kyp debates you're on, virtually everyone can agree that he's a good subject for debates in here.
  20. suncrusherX Jedi Knight

star 3
    Kyp Durron is the most jedi-like jedi around right now.

*ducks behind a hastily made barrier consisting of some furniture and "i hate jacen" picket signs*

I love him as much as a straight guy can love a fictional male.
  21. Muke_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    What deevolution of the character? If anything Kyp HAS evolved.

In the JAT Kyp was an inexperienced kid who gets seduced to the dark side by a poweful Sith spirit and is influenced into those acts.

The Kyp of NJO is a self assured Jedi Master. I penitent man who does what he thinks is the right thing to do. He remembers the evils he committed and is trying to atone for them his own way.

He is serving the light just in a different way than Luke.

The assumption around here is that Luke is always right no matter what and anyone who questions him is wrong.

What baloney! Any person out there who blindly follows authority and never questions it is a damn fool!

And the worst part is that the Kyp haters are hipocrites. They slam Kyp for doing the same things Luke has done in the past.

He gets slammed for stopping smugglers. Well gee remember HoT where Luke stops pirates? Same thing! Different character!

It's just a bunch of disgruntled Luke fans with a sick ant-Kyp bias.
  22. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ?He gets slammed for stopping smugglers. Well gee remember HoT where Luke stops pirates? Same thing!?

Main Entry: smug·gle
    Pronunciation: 'sm&-g&l
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): smug·gled; smug·gling /-g(&-)li[ng]/
    Etymology: Low German smuggeln & Dutch smokkelen
    Date: 1687
    transitive senses
    1 : to import or export secretly contrary to the law and especially without paying duties imposed by law
    2 : to convey or introduce surreptitiously
    intransitive senses : to import or export something in violation of the customs laws
    - smug·gler /'sm&-gl&r/ noun

Main Entry: pi·ra·cy
    Pronunciation: 'pI-r&-sE
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
    Etymology: Medieval Latin piratia, from Late Greek peirateia, from Greek peiratEs pirate
    Date: 1537
    1 : an act of robbery on the high seas; also : an act resembling such robbery
    2 : robbery on the high seas

Smuggling is a glorified form of tax evasion. Piracy is attacking and robbing someone at gunpoint. There is a difference between the two.

"It's just a bunch of disgruntled Luke fans with a sick ant-Kyp bias. "

Please retract that statement. :mad:
  23. -Vergere- Jedi Master

star 4
    Muke_Skywalker -
    And the worst part is that the Kyp haters are hipocrites...It's just a bunch of disgruntled Luke fans with a sick ant-Kyp bias.
    Your words really give more cause to Kyp detractors, not haters. I personally do not agree with Kyp & his methods but find him an engaging character to have in the series. Thank you Muke, now i know my stance on Kyp is the correct one. And everything you say just convinces me on the validity of my stance.

BTW, what are hipocrites? A gross exaggeration of hippopotamuses? ;) Now that's not very nice!
  24. NarundiJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Now now, Vergere, it's not nice to take cracks at people's spelling. If you're going to tell someone off, do it on the content of their message, don't take cheap shots at silly things like that. ;)

Jae Angel
  25. -Vergere- Jedi Master

star 4
    A crack? Who's cracking who again? I see, so presuming to judge the character of others ("hypocrites") is appropriate but what I did is not. Thanks for clearing that up for me, NurundiJedi.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.