main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyp Durron vs. Luke Skywalker who's philosophy is best?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Streick, Aug 24, 2001.

?

Kyp Durron vs. Luke Skywalker who's philosophy is best?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2001.
  1. Kyp Durron

37 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Luke Skywalker

48 vote(s)
    56.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Streick

Streick Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2001
  2. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    neither.

3. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Kyp is obviously right. Failure to fight back against the Vong will only lead to enslavement and death.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    the Kypmeister

5. RogueJeedai

RogueJeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    yeah, Kyp! Rock on...

6. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    neither.

7. Streick

Streick Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2001
    Come on I need you to get deeper into the issue why you agree and why you don't

8. RogueJeedai

RogueJeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Its just that I swing with Kyp. His ideas *make more sense* given the circumstances. Jedi are excpected to defend and protect...
    "Offense against evil is defense."

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Yep,

You guessed it - Kyp Durron.

10. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    No doubt about it. Luke.

11. LordMoltar

LordMoltar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2001
    Kyp. No doubts about it.

12. Jedi_Rawfish

Jedi_Rawfish Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2001
    Kyp. The best defense is a good offense.

13. nightstun

nightstun Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2001
    Luke's philosophy is better for many reasons
    1) Luke looks at the bigger picture where Kyp just looks to here and now
    2)Luke is trying to learn more about the Vong before he sends his people out to fight taking less chances with their lives, Kyp until recently goes out fighting what he doesn't know therefore taking a huge risk and losing many lives that could have been saved
    3)Luke is keeping everything in perspective with both the light and dark side of the force where Kyp is using whatever means necessary to take out the vong including dabbing in the dark side
    4)Luke knows that if they win this war by using the dark side it is no victory for the GFFA will be in worse shape than when it started Kyp doesn't seem to care he just wants to get rid of the Vong no matter what the cost or reprocussions(sp)

I could go on on why Lukes Philosophies are better but the ones I just gave you should be enough. Those who voted for Kyp must favor the dark side in some way because the choice is clear on who is using their powers correctly and niether is not an option this is between two people and who you believe is closest to the truth

Nightsun

14. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    nigthstun, youre doing the annoying thing. Just because I think Kyp is right, doesnt mean I favour the darkside. Thats a stupid, uneducated comment. Just because we disagree with you, doesnt mean we think the darkside is the right way

15. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Supporting Kyp against the Vong would be like supporting Stalin against Hitler!

sigh...

16. nightstun

nightstun Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2001
    well reaperfett if you could explain his philosophies and why they are better I wouldn't have to be an ass but so far all I've read is: Kyp rocks, Kyp no doubt, Kyp offense against evil is defense,

sorry you feel that way and my point about people must favor the dark side is Luke has done nothing aggressive to make people like him right now becaause he believes it to be wrong he feels that to conquer ones enemy you must know ones enemy and if you know your enemy there are ways of conquering without aggression or death to the wrong party. Kyp on the other hand doesn't want to know his enemy so he goes out and kills any sign of the enemy without knowing if the people he kills could have been good like the shamed ones. anyway Kyp is getting a fan following because he is acting not because he is doing right by the force

Nightsun

17. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    OK, Ill be more constructive now, and go through your points:

-----
    1) Luke looks at the bigger picture where Kyp just looks to here and now
    -----
    Being as weve never read anything from Kyp's perspective, prove this

-----
    2)Luke is trying to learn more about the Vong before he sends his people out to fight taking less chances with their lives, Kyp until recently goes out fighting what he doesn't know therefore taking a huge risk and losing many lives that could have been saved
    -----
    And by Luke doing nothing, millions more who could be saved are dying. Note how KYP knew the worldships were dying, not Luke

-----
    3)Luke is keeping everything in perspective with both the light and dark side of the force where Kyp is using whatever means necessary to take out the vong including dabbing in the dark side
    -----
    Hes going the path of the Warrior Jedi. Like so many were in the old days

-----
    4)Luke knows that if they win this war by using the dark side it is no victory for the GFFA will be in worse shape than when it started Kyp doesn't seem to care he just wants to get rid of the Vong no matter what the cost or reprocussions(sp)
    -----
    See above point. Kyp has differing opinions. That doesnt mean Luke is right, does it? You have two extremes. Both could be better. But only ones opinion will stop billions being sacrificed and whole worlds being destroyed. ANd that is Kyps

18. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    I come back from a week's vacation and all the old Kyp threads are dead and there are new ones to take the place. I don't really feel like starting all over again, but I think I will be eventually.

19. nightstun

nightstun Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2001
    ReaperFett the here and now attribute to Kyp comes from his actions, hints from other characters and the speaches he gives

2 are you saying because Luke is not like Kyp millions of lives were lost if so your thinking like Kyp and not looking at the bigger picture

3 The Jedi were never warriors they were Knights and like Knights they had quests. Violence is always the last resort for a Jedi

4 I'm not saying Luke is right I'm saying his Philosophies are better and I believe that's what this thread is over if you read the TITLE.

Nightsun

20. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    jarik-know what you mean, I was gone a day and there's like 10 new ones.

check my sig!

luke has no definitive philosphy so just by default kyp's is better.

21. nightstun

nightstun Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm still waiting to read why Kyp's philosophies are better I have proven why Luke's are but as I said before fans like aggression and that's what Kyp is doing therefore grabbing a huge fan base right now and I belive that's the only reason Kyp is winning this poll because honestly if you look at the bigger picture it is obvious that Luke is closer to the truth although I don't thinkeither one is completely right

Nightsun

22. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    ok, Ill ask this. What has Luke actually done so far? As in, what that is a great aid to the survival of the galaxy. Remember, thats what a Jedi does, PROTECT the Galaxy.

Kyp has found out that Worldship's are dying, as well as taking out one being spawned (remember too, as he said, no "innocents" were even onboard). THats a big thing. Meanwhile, Luke has started planning a way the Jedi can stay hidden. That isnt going to win survival

23. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Luke just wants to run off somewhere and hide, since he has become a craven coward.

24. nightstun

nightstun Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2001
    reaperfett What has luke done so far? as I stated earlier he has been learning about the Vong sending out Jedi on recognance(sp) missions so that he and the other jedi can learn more therefore being able to affect the vong in a more purposeful manner in the long run. You are still looking at the smaller picture the here and now while I like luke am looking for answers which in the long run will be more helpful in the long run

Luke is not hiding from the Vong He must set up this network in order for the Jedi to be succesful against the Vong every good order has a HQ and right now the Jedi don't have one and that's why it is necessary that he sets one up and if you haven't noticed he's having other people help set it up so he can still help the Jedi. If there is no place to work from there is no union and the GFFA will surely fall to the Vong. you have to look at the big picture that's what Thrawn did and it was a key to his successes but he couldn't use the force to guide him whereas Luke does.
    ps. I'm still waiting to here Philosophical points on why Kyp is correct

oh yea In Rebirth it doesn't state that he is actuaaly the one who discovers the worldships are dying he just states that they are so please don't use that again and furthermore there is no way if Kyp could know if there were innocents on the planet b/c he cannot sense them in the force B/C surely there were innocents because I can't picture the warriors making a new worldship especially without the shamed ones to do their labor.

Nightsun

25. darth-skycrawler

darth-skycrawler Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    What annoys me is that people think that the jedi in the TPM were not warrior like. Don't you think that Kenobi does a bit of fighting if he becomes a general. Kenobi and Yoda did not join the rebellion for one simple reason they would have been killed and then Luke would have never redeemed the chosen one. Anakin becomes a jedi master because he kills palpatine without anger. Kenobi becomes a jedi when he kills Maul without anger. Jedi are supposed to fight but they are supposed to do so with out emotion. If the old jedi were alive they would have followed Kyps example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.