main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyp Durron's Age (continuity debate)[Possible Spoilers!]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NarundiJedi, Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Since there seems to be some debate on this subject I decided to beat all of youz to the punch and make a separate topic so the people who want to discuss Anakin in the Anakin thread can without having to hear about Kyp all the time.

Jae Angel, Master of Kyp threads :D

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He was 18 during the JAT, because he is described as being 32 in Dark Tide. Plus, I believe the Essential Guide to Characters says he's 18.

3. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    You do realize that often there are contradictions in the EU, because SunCrusherX is also right about saying that in Jedi Search KJA described Kyp as being age 16. Now, canon would say that Kyp was 16 during the JAT because of what KJA wrote, but it would also say he was eighteen during the JAT because of what was said during the essential characters guide, which definitely does say he's eighteen. My question is does KJA write both? Because if he does then HE of all people should know better! Blah!!

Also, does more than one year go by during the entire JAT? That might explain it if Kyp was a very old 16 year old and then there was about a year and he was a young 18 year old at the end. . .I dunno.

Jae Angel

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    JAT lasted no more than 6 weeks.

5. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Wow, then continuity IS screwed up!

Jae Angel

6. Ornitier

Ornitier Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2000
    I think we have to assume then, that he is 17 during that series. Then again, he would know his age as he worked in the slave mines, so he has no specific birthday... THat just occured to me. None of the characters can celebrate their birthdays really... Then there's also that tiwn paradox thingie. Maybe somehow he changed his age by traveling a lot at or near (past?) the speed of light?

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    We do know some of the character's birthmonths, though:

Wedge Antilles: 20.1 BBY
    Tycho Celchu: 21 BBY
    Jacen & Jaina: 9.4 ABY
    Anakin Solo: 6.7 ABY

8. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Yeah, and also, apperently now Dark Tide takes place during month 1 and 2 of year 26 after Yavin, so that might help it out a bit.

9. Silencer-7

Silencer-7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 1999
    I really wish authors would use dates. Specific nsames of days and months and whatnot.

I think it would make things easier--besides WEG came up with a calender a long time ago.

Anyone know why authors never used it?

10. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm going to continue to use kja's age since he is kyp's creator. I believe the eg are written by some other people.

It really ticks me off that njo authors still describe him as immature, young and brash when he's at least 32 years old spending over half his life training in the force.

I'm gonna go check out my leviathan tpb, see if there's an age given.

11. suncrusherX

Feb 18, 2001
    I can't let that barb in the other thread go.

regardless of what I may think?

I posted evidence. You have used the phrase "i believe" as evidence. let's see some citing, not word of mouth or conjecture.

MAS may have said that in dt, but he tends to screw up characters that are not his anyways.

12. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    in I Jedi, kyp is said to be the same age luke was when he blew up the death star

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    in I Jedi, kyp is said to be the same age luke was when he blew up the death star

Which would be 18. Booya!

14. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    I still would go by what Kyp's creator, Kevin J Anderson, said his age was. Perhaps Stackpole was just trying to draw a comparison between Luke and Kyp, but even though he's a good author, he should have paid attention to the fact that Kevin J Anderson STATED in Jedi Search that Kyp was all of 16 years of age.

Now whether you like Stackpole more than KJA or not is a different story. Still, KJA's books came before Stackpole's book and before the guide to the characters, so wouldn't it make sense that the first one to state his age, his creator, is the correct one, and all the others are wrong?

Of course, that's just my take on it ;)

Jae Angel

15. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    It really ticks me off that njo authors still describe him as immature, young and brash when he's at least 32 years old spending over half his life training in the force.

well, usually its in the point of veiw of other characters that don't like Kyp, and besides, just because you're thirty-two doesn't mean you have to act thirty-two, look at Wes Janson, lol

16. Maverick15

Maverick15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2001
    I see veryy funny funny

17. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    "Still, KJA's books came before Stackpole's book and before the guide to the characters, so wouldn't it make sense that the first one to state his age, his creator, is the correct one, and all the others are wrong?"

It would, but let's not forget...

MINOR EPISODE II SPOILER

Owen used to be Obi-Wan's brother

END SPOILER

18. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    What does that have to do with Kyp's age?

Jae Angel

19. Ornitier

Ornitier Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2000
    No matter if it's already been established then it may change eventually. That's would be my guess. Can't I be right about his age changing based on his traveling? Wait no...

20. Tsavong_Skywalker

Tsavong_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2001
    Kyp is 16 in JAT and 32 in Star by Star, enough said.

21. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Possible spoiler

Owen was thought to be Obi's brother, but in episode one they make him the son of the man Shmi marries.

end spoiler

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    No, Kyp is 32 in Dark Tide, which makes him 18 in JAT.

23. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Dark Tide was written by Mike Stackpole. Mike Stackpole believes Kyp to be 18 in JAT. That doesn't mean he's right ;)

Jae Angel

24. suncrusherX

Feb 18, 2001
    In leviathan, kyp is described as being "brash" and similar to luke at the same age. However, no age is given.

memo to everyone-try and contact either mas and/or kja to shed some light on the subject.

25. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    contact KJA, for he is the gatekeeper :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.