main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyp similar to Qui - Gon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vong_Killer, Sep 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    That post about Kyp vs. Tarken reminded me about a topic I've been meaning to post. Does Kyp remind only me of qui gon? Qui Gon was known for is actions against the requests of the council, not unlike kyp against the higher ups in the new jedi order (luke mara, ext) And was qui gon not ultimatly right in the end, like i believe kyp will be?

2. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    they are both screw ups on a galatic scale kyp screwed up and took up exar kun on his offer and obliterrated a couple billion people. and qui-gon by unleshing vader on the galacy yes anakin was the chosen one however the price to the galacy was a bit high to balance the force.

so yes they are alike.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The Screw up was probably letting Obi Wan train him instead of Qui Gon

Thank you Darth Maul

4. Cowboy_Jedi

Cowboy_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    Qui-Gon did the right thing in bringing Anakin to the Jedi. Palpatine was going to take over the Republic and destroy the Jedi if Anakin was created or not. If Anakin wasn't created then the Jedi would be extinct and the Empire would have ruled forever, the Sith would also have ruled forever. Yes, Anakin didhelp hunt down the Jedi Knights. But think of all the stuff that would have gone wrong had Qui-Gon not brought Anakin to the Jedi.

5. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    i am in an evil and sinical mood right now.

6. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Exactly. Kyp is a younger and overly zealous Qui-Gon. But Kyp is stronger than Qui-Gon. And he lives in a different time. Can't wait to see how that affects his further growth as a character.

7. Piett_clone

Piett_clone Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2000
    Kyp is about the farther thing from Qui-gon I've seen.

8. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    why so Piett?

9. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Kyp and Qui-Gon are alike, since they do tend to rebel against their leaders, but they're completely different in every other way. Kyp is motivated by anger, but Qui-Gon is motivated by what he belives to be correct.

10. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I dare say Kyp is thinks he's correct as well.
    Both of them fight authority. But Kyp doesn't seem to care what happens to his enemies. The ends justify the means. Say what you want about Qui-Gon but he doesn't needlessly spend peoples lives.

11. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    He did in Tales.

I know its not 'canon' (OR WHATEVER!!!!!!) but thats still supposed to be Qui-Gon. He helped that little person, and then he had to kill him later. And he didn't mind. Its the way of the Force. And then he and Obi-Wan blantly attacked and killed a den full of dark side creatures because the Living Force told him too.

12. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    thats equal too a couple billion people is it.

13. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Not at all.

Thats why they arn't the same people. Kyp was born years after the Battle of Endor. Qui-Gon, decades before the Battle of Yavin.

They never meet each other. They aren't the same. They are alike.

14. Jedi----Cost

Jedi----Cost Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2001
    QUI GON BLEAVED IN PEACE KYP DOES NOT
    WERE CAN I GET TALES

15. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Kyp believes in peace. Hes trying to stop everyone who dosn't allow for true peace to take place (which is impossible). He took out smugglers and pirates before the Vong invaded. Now hes attacking the Vong like he did the Empire.

I think all the single issues of Tales can be found at Things From Another World. And a local book or comic store might still have all the issues in back stock or something. And if not, the first Tales TPB is coming out soon. I think it collects the first 5 issues? Not sure though.

16. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    What it keeps coming down to me for Kyp are his actions in Rebirth.

I can't thing of a single instance comparable for Qui-Gon.

17. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Kyps actions in Rebirth are the same as Qui-Gons in Tales.

And Kyps in JAT are worse than what he did in Rebirth. In JAT he killed a whole planet and his own brother. That hurts a man.

18. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    "and qui-gon by unleshing vader on the galacy yes anakin was the chosen one however the price to the galacy was a bit high to balance the force."

that's unfair to Qui-Gon. He wasn't around to train. MAYbe it would have been different if he was.

"Kyp is motivated by anger, but Qui-Gon is motivated by what he belives to be correct."

Why do you think Kyp is motivated by anger? Kyp is fighting to protect everybody in the galaxy. That is what he believes to be correct and so do I. He doesn't hate the Vong: He doesn't even know them. He is fighting to protect people.

"I dare say Kyp is thinks he's correct as well."

He is. The Vong do need to be stopped. We can't ignore them. The GFFA must attack them or they will lose literally everything except the right to die.

". But Kyp doesn't seem to care what happens to his enemies. The ends justify the means."

He is fighting not his enemies but the galaxies enemies. What do you mean. His means have not been wrong. He has attacked military targets in order to defeat the galaxy's foe. He has even collected more intelligence than Luke even though that is supposedly what Luke has been doing all this time.

"Say what you want about Qui-Gon but he doesn't needlessly spend peoples lives."

Neither does Kyp. He is trying to save lives and he takes precautions to keep his people alive. Did you notice how devastated he was when his squadron died. He tried to keep them alive, he tried hard, but you can't keep everyone alive in war.

"QUI GON BLEAVED IN PEACE KYP DOES NOT"

Kyp is fighting for peace against those who break the peace. Hello? Galactic War that Kyp didn't start, but is trying to end.

"What it keeps coming down to me for Kyp are his actions in Rebirth."

He attacked a military target. The only bad thing he did was lie, but he felt it was necessary and it probably was. People never listen to him. Our old hereos have done this exact same thing and we did not get on their case.

19. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    There are some similarities but you're comparing way different time periods. Its though to compare two people of different eras. Like comparing Abe Lincoln to George Washington to Franklin Roosevelt. All great presidents but how do you compare for what they did for their time eras? You have to take each case differently than the last.

20. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    They are alike in the aspect that they don't follow the Jedi way totally, but look within and try to do what they feel they must.

Qui-Gon is alot older than Kyp was and there's no telling at what point in his Jedi career QGJ began to look within and do things his own way rather than follow the code. The situation with the Vong in the New Jedi Order is different than the situation with the Trade Federation and the attack on Naboo.

Qui-Gon didn't start his own faction. Kyp didn't have this thing for concentrating on the moment. So no, they weren't completely the same.

I've compared them from time to time myself but still Qui-Gon is more disciplined and would have probably handled the situation with Vong the same way Luke has.

21. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    "but still Qui-Gon is more disciplined and would have probably handled the situation with Vong the same way Luke has."

You mean, doing nothing? I don't think so. Qui-Gon would be doing something, gaining support for the war, helping the military, and fighting the enemy. You can't even really say anybody would handle it like Luke cause Luke ISN'T handling it.

22. mjerome3

May 11, 2000
  23. mjerome3

May 11, 2000
    There were more Jedi in the time of QGJ than in the time of L. Skywalker. Luke doesn't have many resources and the Vong are gigantic in number.

Qui-Gon would have pondered a weakness in the Vong before moving against that particular enemy. But he would have taken his time to find out what that weakness was. Isn't that what Luke is doing?

I have to disagree. It's not like Luke hasn't done completely nothing. He has done something at one time or another.

Qui-Gon wouldn't been as reckless and careless as Kyp. Kyp has proven over and over that he is rash and headstrong in his decisions and his ways of dealing with the Vong is one of them. Kyp has shown that he lacks patience. Qui-Gon has patience and would have waited for a solution to present itself like Luke Skywalker is doing. Because like Qui-Gon, Luke knows that a solution would present itself.

24. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Heres the big difference between the two.

Kyp lies to get the military to attack the worldship. But when Amidala is trying to convince the Gungans to join forces, Qui-Gon does not use his skill with the mind whammy (which is a form of deception, making someone think they want to do something when they really wouldn't) to get Boss Nass to agree. Sure, he does that to get a bongo and save Jar Jar. And yes, he cheats on the dice (though c'mon, you think Watto's chance cube lands on blue nearly as much as it does on red?). But these don't place anyone in danger. If Qui-Gon were to wave his hand and say "You will fight it out with the droids" he'd be putting the Gungans in danger without giving them any control over their destiny, and that would not be the conduct of a Jedi.

25. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    Solutions don't just present themsleves. You have to solve your own probalems. I wish the solutions to the quesstions on my math tests would present themselves to me.

"Luke doesn't have many resources and the Vong are gigantic in number."

dOESN'T MEAN HE CAN'T DO SOMETHING. wORKING IN CONCERT WITH THE nr MILITARY WOULD MAKE THE jEDI VERy, very effective.

"Qui-Gon would have pondered a weakness in the Vong before moving against that particular enemy. But he would have taken his time to find out what that weakness was."

When it takes you 2 years and you still have nothing you should realize it's too late. Yopu better do something now. You have to discover the weaknesses of your enemy during war not before you start fighting. You give them too much of a headstart.

"I have to disagree. It's not like Luke hasn't done completely nothing. He has done something at one time or another."

So what has he accomplished. Kyp has supplied more intelligence on the Vong and that is supposedly what Luke has been doing this whole time.

"Qui-Gon wouldn't been as reckless and careless as Kyp. Kyp has proven over and over that he is rash and headstrong in his decisions and his ways of dealing with the Vong is one of them. Kyp has shown that he lacks patience."

How has Kyp been careless or rash? You see somebody do something and you say he's careless. He's been very precise and cautious or else he'd be dead. He's been fighting a whole invasuion force with ONE SQUADRON, 12 FIGHTERS, for 2 years. If he were so careless shouldn't he be dead like 7 times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.