main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

L.A. County really, really wants me to report for jury duty

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by DarthTunick , Oct 20, 2011.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [image=http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/5421/summonsii.png]

I got that in the mail this past Saturday, after my failure to appear for jury duty many months ago (I forget the date). They're giving me little over 3 weeks (from today, 30 days officially when I got the summons) to respond by either reporting for duty (BOOOO) or phoning in a reason not to attend (of course, they may require me to report anyway. Of all the problems going on out here, they're taking this **** too seriously.

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 8

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Would advise you to MS Paint that up and at least censor your address. Just sayin'.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    In all likelihood you'll sit around in a courthouse for a day and not get called for a trial. If you do get called for a trial, you probably won't be picked (statistically). Suck it up. If you can't afford to be off work (I'm guessing Wal-Mart doesn't pay you for jury duty), say so.

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Don't you get compensated for jury duty? And don't you get paid more than you would at Wal-Mart? :p

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm sure Wally World pays for a day or 2, but I would have to inquire about that. When I do call (at the last possible minute because my middle name is Procrastinator), I will also point out that the courthouse listed on the damn summons (all of them over the past 3 years) is one in Beverly Hills, which would be quite a task for me to get there via public transit.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    So? 'It's hard' is not a valid excuse for not doing your civic duty.

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    No, no, not Wally World. I meant the government compensates you.

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Not for the first day it doesn't. And some employers pay for jury duty.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    True, Marcus. Rather, if I get a live person on the phone (or if I have to show up), I'm going with the truth: I've got very, very little faith in the jury system. History here in L.A. has tainted that view (ie: O.J. Simpson & Robert Blake verdicts).

10. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    i heard if you tell them you're a racist they'll let you off

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    You think not guilty verdicts for likely guilty men "taints" the court system? Try the other way around, especially for capital cases.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I didn't mean to infer that only those kind of cases (where the guilty get off) taint the system. Far from it.

13. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    You probably shouldn't sit on this one, they're more likely to give in if you call them early than if you wait until the last minute.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Think about it this way. Suppose you're a good, fair-minded, and ideal juror--the sort that wouldn't make those bad calls that taint the jury system for you. Are you helping things by not serving on a jury?

15. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A_jeCAfn0E not always.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Possibly..............but what if I end up in a jury full of people who are so swayed by ridiculousness or straight stupidity? I could get into a shouting match or be so annoyed by them that I would end up getting kicked off the jury, and thus having basically the same effect as if I hadn't been there.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    In case you didn't know, jury decisions have to be unanimous on criminal cases. You could hold out and cause a mistrial.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I forgot about that. :p :oops:

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I had jury duty a few weeks ago. I just sat on the JC the whole time and didn't qualify for anything they were calling people up for because I'm a student. Which begs the question of why they didn't just let me use that as an excuse in the first place.

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I've never been summoned or whatever. I guess I am lucky.

I do have to spend all day at the DMV next week though. That should be a fun experience.

21. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I am jealous of you for being summoned. Not for being summoned in Beverly Hills, mind you.:p Bit I want an opportunity to be a part of legal system in such a way. It's frustrating how so many people seem to be so apathetic about it all that they try to get out of it, especially when you're someone who actually is civic minded.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Because they make you sit there for HOURS while they question each and every prospective juror. You can't read. You can't do anything but sit and listen.

23. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Not being able to read would probably be annoying initially, but I'd probably start to have fun listening about people's lives anyway. It might be fascinating.

I refuse to be swayed on my opinion of the matter. Even if it's annoying for a while it's for the greater good and should not be treated like the way it is.[face_not_talking]

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's not that I have no sense of civic duty. I would love to be in a jury if I were at some job where I got paid to be on jury duty and just sat at a desk all day anyway. Right now I'm trying to make connections to get a job, though, so being on a jury for like a month would have been really horrible. Not to mention would destroy my thesis.

25. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Having it destroy your thesis I can sympathize with. Not caring unless you're paid I can't.[face_plain]