main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

L.A. County really, really wants me to report for jury duty

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by DarthTunick , Oct 20, 2011.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, because who can't live on 15 bucks a day from the court system? :rolleyes:

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I got called for jury duty once when I lived in the US back in the '80s. I got as far as being picked for a jury on a drug selling case but the defendant plea bargained so we weren't needed. Most days it was just a case of phoning a number to see if our jury group had to report the next day. If not, we could go to work as normal. (This was in CT.)

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

How long did you have to stay there for?

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 8

4. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    If you're a full time student you don't have to do Jury duty. You can mail them in something to prove you are a student. Also, you can
    get a doctor to write a doctor's note for you to get out of it to. I've never sat through an entire trial before, except just stuff I sat in on but never as jury. They didn't call me, I just showed up and waited and waited then they picked their people and I went back home. It was a real waste of time.

5. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    best thing to do is to cross the border into mexico. and go on foot. avoid all major roads/towns/cities. eat wildlife only. consume no liquids whatsoever. if you hear a steady buzzing noise inside your head that seems to originate from a spot just above your left ear, it's already too late.

6. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I don't know if sj is actually in LA county like Tunick is, but:

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Just a day. After I wasn't called in for anything, I was dismissed.

Yeah, it's the same thing here in Orange County. They said being a student didn't disqualify me. But then when I went in, they kept saying things like, "Please line up unless you have one of these circumstances..." and one of the disqualifying factors they listed was being a student with classes during the day. They also said you were disqualified from this service if you would not be paid by your job for jury days.

So yeah, I theoretically still could have been one of the random people picked for short cases. But that was a really long shot. I was automatically disqualified from the majority of cases because of my internship (which they said counted the same as a class since I get credit for it).

It just made me feel they should go ahead and pre-disqualify those people instead of dragging us in to sit there all day and be told we didn't have to line up for anything.

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    A whole day, eh? I don't think I could last a whole day. :p

9. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    People too lazy to do their civic duty are the worst. How about you contribute to society a little bit? Not appearing because you feel like other jurors somehow screw it up is no reason to not go; it is a good reason to go. There's also absolutely nothing difficult about it.

Now, if you have a legitimate reason for not being there(For instance: I am registered to vote in Florida, but was in California for school when I received a jury summons), then that's fine. But if your excuse is that you don't feel like staying there for a day, then you really haven't got one.

Bring a book, a laptop, or whatever. and just wait to be dismissed like everyone else.

10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I use jury duty as an opportunity to read because otherwise, it's really hard to find the motivation/time to. I got through an entire book while waiting last time :/

11. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I got a summons in the mail for FEDERAL court the day before I moved to DC. That was enjoyable trying to get out of it.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I'm sorry, but since when is going to jury duty such a sacred ******* thing? My view of city/county government is really, really low, based on a lot of things. That's a big reason why I haven't gone........it's a small "**** you!" to the county. If I can get them to change to the courthouse from Beverly Hills to somewhere here in the Valley, then I will go, and only so I can get out of work or not spend one of my days off sleeping for 12+ hours :p .

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Because people whose lives are about to be changed deserve a jury of their peers, not just a bunch of people who couldn't weasel out of jury duty. Like voting, you owe it to other people to do the job and to do the job right.

14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    If I can get them to change to the courthouse from Beverly Hills to somewhere here in the Valley, then I will go

Oh, I didn't realize you were actively trying to make change happen. What have you done to get this to happen? Probably nothing, since your idea of fixing things appears to be not participating at all in it.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I've got 3 weeks to respond to this summons.............I plan on calling sometime this week (Tuesday or Wednesday) & see if I can get a courthouse change.

16. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Since you lived in a ****ing democracy that affords you certain rights and and some civic responsibilities to go along with those rights. If you are accused of a crime you have the right to a jury of your peers. The other people you live with in your county and in your country have that same right and it's not your place to deprive them of that just because you're a lazy, worthless sack of crap.

17. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I've never been summoned for jury duty. I wonder what it is like to be summoned for jury duty, head on in expecting to be drafted for a minor-type case and end up on the Next Big Trial to keep Nancy Grace busy.

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Finally someone other than myself who thinks I'm worthless. I didn't want to be alone in that thought. :p And yes, other people in the county deserve their jury trial (though some cases done just in front of a judge). Jurors will be always be found, even when people skip. But this time, I will not.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol "finally"

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Beverly Hills is pretty far away, but you don't really have a right to complain about it when you've evidently been too lazy to try to get it changed. If they refuse to change it then, yeah, I could see being annoyed but still. It's really not that painful to go in for jury duty.

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    When you get picked simply take charge and use your judgement and intellect to guide the group to a proper decision.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

It wasn't about laziness, but apathy. When you get a summons in the mail with "Sanctions" put on it, it's time to take notice.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No, when you get a summons with "JURY DUTY" on it, it's time to take notice.

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Tunick, do you think you'll ever get a drivers license?

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

From certain points of view. And harpuah, I imagine I will at some point. I can't keep failing the damn tests.