L.A. County really, really wants me to report for jury duty

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by DarthTunick, Oct 20, 2011.

1. FlareStorm Jedi Master

star 6
    I remember your previous Jury Duty Thread when conservijccers yelled at you for not doing your civic duty

In your case, I don't see why you WOULDN'T want to go. You complain about your job...its something different

Also, it isn't a "crime" if you ignore it. Its just threatening letters. You'll never get a bench warrant or something for skipping out on it
  2. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Just because I loathe my job doesn't mean I want to miss a day of work to do something else I consider loathsome.
  3. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight

star 8
    Yeah, but they pay you 8 bucks for the day, and feed you crappy food, why would you NOT want to go?
  4. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    The cafeteria at the Van Nuys courthouse is a cash only operation, so when I had my service in December, I went to a Quizno's for lunch. I can't stand a cash only business like that.

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.
  5. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Called the jury info number earlier today, and after shifting through 20,000 different menu options, I registered & selected the option to be excused from jury duty. You'd think that could be done over the phone? Wrong! I have to send in a part of the form that was sent with this latest summons, and wait to hear back from them. My tax dollars at work. :p

6. AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master

star 6
    Your tax dollars wouldn't have to work so hard if you would just go in, dude.
  7. Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Seriously. You're one of those people who make the easy things in life much harder.

...that's what she said!
  8. mrsvos Jedi Master

star 5
    I like jury duty. It makes me feel all smug and superior to sit judgement on crack ho's and hood rats wit guns.....
  9. Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master

star 9
  10. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

I did in December. :p I remember during that day it was mentioned that if you completed your service, you didn't have to serve again for another 6-12 months (I forget which number it was). This current summons is a glitch.

11. Kyle Katarn Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Perhaps you should call them to confirm that.
  12. AcklayComeHome Jedi Master

star 7
    As far as I know it's if you actually serve on a jury, since you were dismissed I guess they have every right to summon you again, though only a month later does seem too soon to me.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Tyrant

Manager
    star 8
    I understand the system which steers jury selection and the importance of said service in our particular jurisprudence, but I really wish they could find a way to offer it to people who have an actual interest or have possibly chosen some level of legal standing as a career choice. Give students credits for it or something like that.

I don't know how many times I can ask to send in my automatic verdict of "Guilty -- If I have to serve time, THEY have to serve time", before they comprehend that I would rather sort socks or be stuck on the toilet with painful constipation than to sit through a trial, when there are countless others who would actually benefit or garner some sort of satisfaction from the experience. It saddens me that I am forced to steal someone else's spot if they want it.
  14. Jozy_Oguchi Jedi Youngling

star 3
    am i missing something
  15. Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Master

star 6
    Is it common to have never been called for jury duty? Is there something wrong with me? :(
  16. Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I was summoned twice as a full time student. Had to provide proof to get out of it.
    Graduated, got a job, and was called for Jury Duty within a year. Put on a case that settled prior to starting. I was dismissed.
    It's now been over 10 years and nothing. :(
  17. block Jedi Master

star 5
    I served on a jury that convicted a pedophile a few years back. Going into it, I was pissed that I had to take personal time from work. It ended up taking two days altogether, but it was worth it and I was really glad that I hadn't bailed on it like I originally intended.
  18. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    I wish I had your luck.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Tyrant

Manager
    star 8
    I was in for a minimal 5-day trial with a person who sincerely said they didn't have a job, so they were going to make the $8 a day last as long as possible. I ran to the door and begged to be dismissed based upon my paid-per-unit income. They had mercy on me. I have no idea how long that miscarriage of justice eventually got milked.
  20. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight

star 8
    You should have asked to be the court sketch artist. :p

[image=http://s1.hubimg.com/u/823112_f520.jpg]

Guilty!!!!!

21. DarthTunick SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    That would make a great logo for Wally World. :p

22. Jack1138 Jedi Master

star 5
    I went through this back in November after Thanksgiving. There were a bunch of us in a room and a judge walked in to give everyone a 'pep talk' about serving.

I got called with several others to a courtroom and one thing amazed me. The 'Stereotypes.' The prosecutors looked like prosecutors and the defense attorney looked just like a defense attorney. :eek: Almost like it was pulled right off of my TV!

We sat around all day long and got a break for lunch. Where this court was, the best food was in the cafeteria. There was one brunette working there and she was pretty hot. The food sucked though. I got some type of cheeseburger that was horrendous! :(

Back in the courtroom I got asked if I had ever been the victim of a crime and I went on and on in a sore throat voice (I actually was sick at the time) about gasoline being stolen out of my truck. TWO TIMES! (yes I have a locking gas cap!)

The cops at the courthouse are really much nicer than the ones that pull you over. They joke with you. Needless to say I did not get seated on said jury but I did meet some interesting characters.

Throughout the day I saw many families not associated with the jury pool. Lot's of kids and moms and dads. Most likely divorces and child support hearings.....

Sad. More ammunition to not get married and have kids! Can I get a HELL YEAH!?!?