main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit L-Canon -- or, Taking Matters Into Our Own Hands (Final Results Announced)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    No, Cad Bane is not leader of the Cottonverse, he is the last defence against the cotton invasion. That's what those unexplained tubes going into this face are there to protect him from.

Random Comments likes this.
  2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    enlighten me how his iskalonian Borgimplants can protect him against the cottonverse invasion? Becoming a Tubelord is cool though...

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ceiran, Lugija made your swing vote unnecessary. Topic concluded.
    • Ryloth's rotation - irregular orbit and/or axis
    • Even Piell's death - possessed impostor a la SotME
    • Dengar/Han swoop race - Dengar is middle-aged, races swoops on the side
    • Greedo: total timeline anarchy - TPM/TCW Greedo is Greedo the Elder
    • Asajj Ventress, bounty hunter - Obsession depicts her transition to bounty hunter
    • Adi Gallia's death - Grievous didn't quite kill her, Savage finished the job
    • Barriss Offee, traitor - Revanned and reinstated
    Open Topic!

Someone can declare a new retcon subject, or you can vote on one, or this can become the official Sentient Hats thread. You guys decide. [face_peace]

Iron_lord and HEDGESMFG like this.
  4. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    My vote goes without saying.

[​IMG]

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  5. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I'd like to see L-canons take on the ages of Hal & Corran Horn thx to Prequels and Jedi Trial...not to forget the SECOND CLONE WAR post-ROTS (see Warfare guide) or a short time of peace in the middle of the Clone War so it can be actual Clone WarS... plural. with most old EU Clone Wars mentions like clone madness etc. pushed into this second one.

and most important: WHO is the GFFA Mad Hatter who creates all these Hats?

6. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I have something for the 2nd Death Star being half-built a few months after the Battle of Yavin.

And it's good.... :cool:

By the way, L-Canon has produced some great stuff. With the exception of the Greedo fix, which I maintain should not have been allowed in the first place, I love the solutions.

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Coop, what's the scope for what we can suggest?

8. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The best part about the retcons is that they are actually very simple. You could describe all of them in a couple of sentences. Only Even Piell's death (the problem of it was that the death was in a novel instead of a comic and is so harder to re-interpret) and Barriss' revanization would need more explaining.

If someone liked to write an L-Canon article/fanfic of Barriss Revanned, I'd take it to my canon. It's a story that has a lot of potential.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I hereby declare thread anarchy. Do what thou wilt.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Now that's a system of political organization I can get behind. :cool:

11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Remember that I'm still the sole ruler of this thread... wait, put down those pitchforks, no, no, let, let me explain, no, you don't understand, no, I didn't mean, no, aahhh!

Well, jobless again. Let's update the CV: Sovereign ruler for over four hours.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Sorry, Lugija, but no dictatorship lasts forever. You can always go hide in the Deep Core.... [face_whistling]

So, since this is anarchy, here's my retcon for Death Star II in Star Wars #3:

What did The Crystal Star teach us? Well, mostly that Vonda N. McIntyre shouldn’t have gotten that particular writing job, but also that the Emperor gave actual miniature planets as gifts.

The ugly truth: Death Star II started life as Bevel Lemelisk’s worldcraft. Upon learning of the 1st Death Star’s destruction, and ironically having only just ordered a second one, Palpatine punished Lemelisk by doing his worst -- and Palpatine’s worst has got to be the worst, period. Of course, the Emperor ordered construction on Bevel’s half-finished worldcraft to halt. It was promptly moved to the Endor system (or maybe that's where it was to begin with), stripped down to its frame and slapped with a superlaser. And so, the frame and much of the Death Star II superlaser were ready 2 or 3 months ABY. And that’s why the 2nd one was so much bigger than the 1st one: it was originally intended to be an actual moon.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I still think that 900 km Death Star II + 4900 km Forest Moon does not compute.

Come to think of it, Forest Moon being 11.5x diameter of Death Star II does not match with most of the images. The ratio only appears to be that for the DS2 & Moon hologram (which doesn't have to be to scale) and the shot coming out of hyperspace (in which case the DS2's several thousand km "closer" to the camera than the Forest Moon is- they're spheres, after all.)

I'd rather they retconned it back to its old size, than retconning the Forest Moon to be much bigger than Earth (size ratio of over 30-1, DS2 900 km, Forest Moon 18,000+ km), to match this shot:

[​IMG]

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    But... but... we did not yet address Cad Bane... does he contradict EU?

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

When planets like Endor can vanish and reappear.. you wonder about scales? Mountains can cry.. so... who cares for scales? Besides... movie screenshot ratios are hardly to be taken at facevalue... Saxtonites may differ but there are too many issues where it does not synch up with shipsizes alone to stop worrying and love it as it is.. ;)

16. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Who needs worldcrafts like traveling microplanets when you can outfit a real one with hyperdrives... see Zonama Sekot ;) we'll never learn who did it and why.. definitely not the hippycolonists.

bring on the WAR OF THE CELESTIALS... A long time ago, before the Republic, before the Rakata, the literal CELESTIAL bodies of the GFFA gained sentience and part of their ecosystems, their indigenious species became their servants. But as ecosystem after system got corrupted... many celestials died as technology outweighed nature.. and and those droids build in the celestials image they called the Silentium.. planetsized droids.. good initially until some decided to take on their Masters calling themselves Abominor.. the onslought of these Abominor Death Stars that eclipsed suns and entire clusters was so devastating that the remaining celestials instructed their servants to build giant repulsorstations as well as hyperdrives.. to escape their enemies as well as strike back as mobile as them. Ultimately, the celestials died moving on into the Force where they appeared their servant races as humanoid beings whenever they cast their shadow into the physical world. But luckily the servant races could repell the Abominor with the release of Abeloth.. casting them out to a nearby galaxy and its own celestials with peaceful Yuuzhan Vong inhabitants. Since then, the Silentium guard the Void watching the for Abominors return.. but where they only watch for terror from metal, they let pass the living and with them the Vong and their living technology. Zonama Sekot is the last that remains of the Celestials after Father, Son and Daughter died.

Darth_Culator likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Not to interrupt...this, but can someone update the OP with the final list as shown? Just so anyone who happens by can see A) that we've finished going through everything and B) what we came up with.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Every "size retcon" has been on the basis of movie screenshot ratios.

Now, if it turns out Saxton's estimates were wrong in one case, that doesn't mean they were wrong in other cases.

But I do think that the DS2 size retcon had less justification than the other ones.

19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Good work, people. With this thread, I consider my TCW retcon anxiety officially over. That's pretty much every major issue I cared about resolved here.

And now, we shall have peace.

Until Disney's next major move... :(

CooperTFN and CeiranHarmony like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Curse, you evil Jedi Council! You thought mindwiping Barris would make it all better and then she got blown up anyway! More futility for you!

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    imagine how often Anakin must think "Did they do it to me already and I can't remember?" and whenever he asks Obi Wan he replies: "Of course not, Anakin" and giggles.

BigAl6ft6 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    They tried once but sadly Anakin was just as much an idiot after the mind wipe so they gave up.

Lazy Storm Trooper and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It occurs to me that we still don't really have an explanation for how they got Tarkin off their backs. Somehow I don't see him being all that impressed with the mindwipe idea.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Palpatine might have talked to him, suggested that they allow the Jedi enough rope to hang themselves with. Most sources suggest that Tarkin was somewhat aware of Palpatine's true intentions, and it was already suggested earlier that Palpatine might have used the mind-wipe as ammunition against the Jedi in the wake of Order 66.

25. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    My understanding of the situation is that the figure for the size of Death Star II was changed from 160 to 900 km on the basis of Curtis Saxton's computations, which were mostly based on analyzing the movie stills in conjunction with a comment by Richard Edlund. However, in order to do his calculation, Saxton had to determine a size for the Endor moon, and he gives it an 8,000 - 10,000 km diameter (a 5,200 km radius was the figure he used). I believe the 4,900 km figure canonically assigned to Endor's diameter was supposed to have been assigned to Endor's radius. Since Saxton is credited as "consultant" on Inside the Worlds, he obviously supplied the Death Star II size figure. The 5,000 km Endor figure should therefore also originate from him, or at least a Lucasfilm employee looking at the Technical Commentaries website, but must have been incorrectly applied to diameter at some later point, as the Complete Locations book does not include information on planetary size as far as I can recall.

In any case, my proposed retcon is for the second Death Star being ready soon after Ep. IV. It works as long as it's big, and that it is anyway.