main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit L-Canon -- or, Taking Matters Into Our Own Hands (Final Results Announced)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's actually been rather explicit for a while now. The New Battlefronts Visual Guide had been the first to specifically mention that only "portions" of Mandalore were desert, and it was in those deserts that the pacifist New Mandalorians dwell. The Essential Guide to Warfare notes that "swathes" of the planet were transformed, fully introducing the Republic conflict that was responsible as the "Mandalorian Excision." Even the Atlas, though, acknowledges the events of the series while still continuing to relate Mandalore's terrain as forested and possessing seas, alongside desert regions. With all of the above having been Jason Fry's handiwork, it really seems as though he's really spearheaded the effort to take on the issue and restore Mandalore.

I'm actually a bit more partial to the New Battlefronts and Warfare guides' phrasing over Shadow Conspiracy's, personally, since having "much of the planet" be desert is a bit, well...much, considering that much of Mandalore's northern hemisphere is supposed to be covered in veshok tree forests that stretch nearly to the ice capped pole. But it's all good when you consider it as a non-definitive bit of passing prose. Also,
    as if to solidify the move of Mandalore back to its established "roots," The Last Jedi features the protagonist going to Keldabe and the more verdant areas of Mandalore over Sundari and the deserts.

CeiranHarmony and CooperTFN like this.
  2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    D'oh.

Mia please, no spoilers outside of the spoiler thread for new books. Or at least spoiler tag it. I would have loved to find that out on my own as I'm currently reading The Last Jedi.

GGrievous likes this.
  3. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I think we have an explaintion for Ryloth. Let us move on.

4. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh, crap. I'm really sorry, Rob. I don't know where my head was at. I completely forgot just how recently the novel came out. I'd stick it in spoilers now if I could, but it's too late to edit. Sorry.

Robimus likes this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Added it for you.

Robimus and Mia Mesharad like this.
  6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Ryloth simply has a Milankovitch cycle around its sun and happened to go through one during the Battle of Ryltoh. :)

7. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank you! Much appreciated.

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Bah! Superweapons do not have silly names like the Hand of Dooku.

True superweapons have names that will spread fear! Like the Foot of Dooku! Which will kick your planet across the stars... or malfunction and just make it start spinning.

RC-1991 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    YJK books show us en detail the ice side.. with icecaves, frozen lakes and all hoth-esque where Jacen and Tenel Ka cuddle ;) not neccessarily all frozen over, some cold tundra and sibiria too but that closer to the shadowlands... the majority would be hothy.. maybe not as thick ice as Hoth got but sure quite some like polar regions of Earth.

10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    While Last of the Jedi was mentioned, I am still reading it, but it not only touches Mandalore but also Dathomir and other issues as well. Know those from preview at amazon only so far, but looks good to me.
    Dathomiri species issue might be adressed same way Mandalore was fixed.. by only parts of them being crossbred, others pure.. but it happens in all clans. not just nightsisters as they visit the Singing Mountain Clan and those got pure humans as well as crossbreds.. nothing on the weird look of pale or high heads though. guess that depends on what generation of crossbreeding you are from and if your ancestry got several generations of Zabrak or just one

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  11. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    PS: more for your list CooperTFN

I know some are already solved semiofficial or retconned by us here in the tcw topic.. so pick what you like ;)

-young Boba Fett during TCW vs. him in young reader books
    -Fett knowing Bossk
    -Dengar and his injuries vs. Dengar and turban.. vs. Dengar swoopracing with Han
    -Raxus vs. Raxus Prime

and yeah.. got my retcon list ready to rumble for whatever you choose.. :p

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

There is only one true SUPERweapon:

[​IMG]

and its name is.. MEGA MAID

13. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I actually came up with an idea why the Separatists, and especially the forces of commerce, would want to make a non-spinning planet spin. Homogenity! Abolish all local customs and the reasons why these customs developed in the first place. You want customers instead of customs. And a huge franchise that works beyond borders. You don't want to secondguess a marketing campaign like "GoodValors makes the world go round", especially since Twi'leks are one of the biggest galactic populations. The separatist galaxy would have had a New Order much harsher than what the Empire was offering: market assimilation instead of simple rebellion-inducing dictatorship.

You know, my first draft was the Thumb Of Dooku. Dread the day when Dooku is putting his thumb down.

If we keep everything in canon, the only physical rule is "anything goes". A planet wih twin suns is already too outlandish for some people, isn't it? I understand your point of view, but I think SW doesn't need more dire post-nineties sci-fi realism, it needs a bit more whackiness to survive its own canon.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    On the subject of Ryloth rotating: mass hysteria.

CooperTFN likes this.
  15. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Aren't we missing the obvious here with Ryloth? Why can't it just be Centerpoint Station developed a glitch and Ryloth rotated for a few years?

dewback_rancher and CooperTFN like this.
  16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'm still inclined (pardon the pun) to say that the easiest solution for Ryloth is that it does rotate, but that the axis of rotation is very high, so that there is one pole that is pointed towards the sun, one pointed away, and an equatorial band that rotates giving a day/night cycle.

Ris_jSarek and CeiranHarmony like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Thing is, planets like that usually point each pole first at the sun, then away from the sun. Though I suppose it could be "locked" so the north pole always points at the sun and the south pole always points away.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Okay, someone pretend I'm an idiot and re-explain the last two posts--I'm lost. :p

I get the idea of its rotation being "sideways" in relation to the sun, but how does that then preserve both day/night and cold side/hot side?
    It's not a race--I'm happy to let the topic continue as long as we're still talking. There could be someone with a great idea who hasn't even seen the thread yet.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Explanation: It all boils down to what I am trying to tell you for hours now and what you yourself even stated earlier at some point ;)

Wibbley Wobbley...

Meaning, the axis is near-fixed but not with 50% of the surface to the sun, 50% facing always away with one pole to the sun, the other to darkness... if slightly off that perfect tidal lock, the planet rotates around its axis.. yet rotation does not create day and night if perfectly locked. if slightly off.. it rotates and only a small part of the equatorial band moves in and out of darkness.. not the entire surface thus preserving old and new Ryloth in one.

Edit: so you got depending on how far off the perfect axis lock you go like 40% iceside always in dark, 40% hot side always to sun and 20% shadowlands moving in and out of darkness giving this region true day and night.

such an axis f.e. got our own URANUS.. a sideways axis but without a tidal lock ;)

[​IMG] Uranus axis slightly off a perfect tidal lock.... its magnetic poles are different from axis rotational poles though.. so do not be confused by that here.

[​IMG]

20. Shira_French_Cheese

Shira_French_Cheese Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2010
    My vote goes to "Ryloth II". I think it's best to avoid creating convoluted retcons.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well that's me sold. Result of a separatist superweapon it is!

Grey1 likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    You'd need it to be rotating on two axes, not one, to get a "lock"- to get one pole always pointing in the general direction of the sun no matter what, the planet needs to rotate on a second axis from the one it's spinning on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranus

Near the time of Uranian solstices, one pole faces the Sun continuously while the other pole faces away. Only a narrow strip around the equator experiences a rapid day-night cycle, but with the Sun very low over the horizon as in the Earth's polar regions. At the other side of Uranus's orbit the orientation of the poles towards the Sun is reversed. Each pole gets around 42 years of continuous sunlight, followed by 42 years of darkness.

MercenaryAce and CeiranHarmony like this.
  23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't get the point of this thread when we have one already

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

exactly.. I left the second axis out of my explanation to not make it more complicated. But you are right of course ;)

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Please feel free to not participate in it, then.

Oh, I thought we'd moved past the wobbling thing. :p

I do get how that works, but I don't see how it can jive with the Chee statement that "all parts" of the planet experience both. I would be thrilled with a wobble solution if it were presented, but I don't think that's going to be the canon going forward. I think a comprehensive retcon is better than squeezing something in on a technicality that could later be contradicted all over again.

Iron_lord likes this.