main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit L-Canon -- or, Taking Matters Into Our Own Hands (Final Results Announced)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That's because Yaddle is clearly the evil mastermind that has corrupted Barriss.

Do you think they're not going to take up the chance to have a Yoda vs Yaddle CGI battle? :p

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    You mean Anakin vs Yaddle. Meanwhile Obi-Wan duels Grievous.

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Hmm... I think I can do a fanfilm of that duel... *throws two bouncy balls into a box and tapes it for hours* :p

KamSolusar likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Whoawhoawhoa--just because I had a busy day at work doesn't mean you guys can go ahead and change the topic without me. :p

Informal poll on Ryloth, to see where we stand...

A) astronomical retcon--orbit is just wacky naturally, can both rotate and not rotate

B) superweapon retcon--Seps fudged the rotation temporarily

C) scorched-earth retcon--planet always rotated, earlier statements about fixed orbit were just rumors

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Though I'd never even considered it before, I've gotta say I'm leaning toward option (B).

6. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

that is not really a choice if it lacks other discussed statements.. A) is described wrong... or do you mean the double axis fix with that? do not influence voters by describing disliked options worse ;) Besides C) is no retcon or solution since it does not explain the ice side, merely solve one part of the problem. except the iceside does exist with other tech or nontech explanation as presented above. please reword your options more clearly for all to vote.

My vote goes to A)

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    They were meant as rough categories, obviously a comprehensive solution will involve more details. And as for this:

I believe "wacky" covers it. :p

My thinking was, once we know which general flavor of retcon we like, we can then get back into specifics. If 90% of people want B, then there's no reason to keep arguing about axis variations.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    it'll not be that easy to shut me up :p Zor betrayed me already.. but I won't give up ;)

Can't wait for the day TCW decides to put your superweapon retcon into effect and... at the episodes end Ryloth is no more but drifting debris.. Separatists declare "Oops.. that superlaser the Geonosians build works better than we expected.." retcon THAT :cool:

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    For what it's worth, I started out preferring B and the debate so far is making me much cooler with A.

Iron_lord and CeiranHarmony like this.
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think your title for choice C shows a bit of bias, Coop... :p

I choose the 'economical' choice of C. (If only because I think there's zero chance they will ever have Ryloth non-rotating at any point in any future work)

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes. yes it does. [face_talk_hand]

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm going with astronomical variations. Note that if we go with the tilted axis and extend Ryloth's year, there will be a period in which one side of the planet is the sunward desert and the other side is the shadowed iceball, a period on the opposite side of the orbit in which the same pattern holds but the specific sides are reversed, and then two periods between each of those points in which the entire planet rotates through day and night "sideways." Depending on how you structure it, if its axis is parallel to the plane of its orbit, there will literally only be two moments at which you've got pure day and night sides, and you'll have a constantly increasing and decreasing habitable band of night/day rotation, or if you tilt the axis at, say, thirty degrees, you'll always have a day/night band without a single instance of pure 50/50 day/night. I think that should formally fulfill your concern that the planet be "always" rotating through day and night, because at least part of it always will be, and for significant periods, effectively the entire planet will be.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    B. The Vong terraform, why not the Seppies? They may simply be seeking access to mineral resources on the burning side. Like Nkllon, but rather than adapt to the surroundings, the Seppies, in a display of arrogance, makes the surroundings adapt to them.

RC-1991, Valin__Kenobi and CooperTFN like this.
  14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I like both of those perspectives. Consensus, my ass.

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    What about the one source that contradicts all other sources, despite the fact it is the most recent source, is actually wrong?

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    It's Lucas' vision!!!!!!11!1!!!11!!!!!11!

GGrievous and Zeta1127 like this.
  17. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    That would ignore the entire point of this thread's existence.

RC-1991 likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    They were displeased with the Clone Wars... three months before it started? Does that contradict the EU

Valin__Kenobi, Zorrixor and CooperTFN like this.
  20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So fervent is their displeasure that it transcends the time-space continuum.

Iron_lord and MistrX like this.
  21. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Ah... The space time continuum. Wouldn't it be fun if Star Wars was like, say, an overly moralistic neo-pulp TV series from the 60s where all sorts of inconsistencies could be ironed out by the writers saying that "the alternate version of events take place in a mirror universe created by phase variances in the space-time fluctuation of the tetrapotasium warp core"?

Well, no, it wouldn't be. I vote for A.

22. darth fluffy

darth fluffy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 27, 2012
  23. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Or another 60s TV series where inconsistencies can be ironed out by simply waving a hand and saying "wibbly wobbly, timey wimey".

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Actually, it's more like "Their EUs don't count at all".

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Happens each time someone smacks Waru's side and the vibrations across his celestial gelatinous gold plated folds sent ripples through the time space continuum.