main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit L-Canon -- or, Taking Matters Into Our Own Hands (Final Results Announced)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 6, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now we can change the topic.

Per, well, you, Ceiran, there's a lot more detail we could get into in terms of the exact orbital...situation...Ryloth is in, but we can table that for the moment and circle back around later. In the meantime, we have our first entry into the annals of L-Canon: Ryloth's rotation is naturally irregular. So we have decided, and so it shall be. Our updated list:
    • Ryloth's rotation
    • Even Piell's death
    • Dengar/Han swoop race
    • Greedo: total timeline anarchy
    • Asajj Ventress, bounty hunter
    • Boba YA series inconsistencies
    • Adi Gallia's death
    • Barriss Offee, traitor
    I left some off (ex: Eeth Koth, Raxus) for being particularly minor and/or having pretty straightforward solutions. I also eased off on the chronological order in favor of alternating between easier and tougher topics. For the record, Ryloth was an "easy" one.

Even Piell's two deaths are now the topic.

Good luck, ****ers. [face_laugh]

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Jedi Order featured two brothers both named Even Piell. Lannik names are stupid.

dewback_rancher likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    With identical scars?

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The replacement Lannik gave himself the scar Piell had to honor him? It's some kind of weird Lannik ritual to receive a scar upon becoming a Jedi? :p

To be serious, I'm perfectly fine with the Piell we see in Coruscant Nights just being another Lannik Jedi master.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  5. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I hate to be the one to bring down a celebratory mood, but we're deluding ourselves here. This is not going to get solved. We're not talking about a simple matter of planetary rotation, we're talking about someone bitten dead by a dog then thrown into molten sulfur and turned to ash onscreen. I'm sorry, but there's no retcon. We have to face the fact that the guy in the novel, whoever he is, is not Even Piell.

Because he is, in fact, Palleus Chuff, the most famous Jedi actor of our time and hero of the Clone Wars, on the run after the Imperial decree “On the Reconstruction of Literary and Artistic Organizations" made it illegal for any form of art to portray the Jedi in a heroic manner! Having won the accolades of even the harshest critics for his portrayal of Master Piell in the critical and commercial success The Tragical History of the Life and Death of Jedi Master Even Piell, Chuff had no time to change out of his extensive prosthetic makeup when a fellow actor informed him that stormtroopers were at the door. He died a true Jedi's death.

[face_talk_hand] And I have no idea what I'm talking about. I've never read any of the Coruscant Nights books. But Yoda: Dark Rendezvous is great, I highly recommend it.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Really, is there any reason to discuss this further? I think that's the best of all possible solutions...

dewback_rancher likes this.
  8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It was a The Prestige thing.

Ulicus and CeiranHarmony like this.
  9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    The above retcon is brilliant but it leaves Jax Pavan as an idiot who does neither recognise an act, nor the Force signature of his Master.. so while fun, it ultimately is not enough for me. Here comes my attempt...

Repost of my earlier Even Piell retcon:

Well...Kenobi said in ANH, "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Lets just say Even Piell proofed that Obi Wan was right and did what many Force Ghosts did according to WEG rpg material: interact with the physical realm as if still alive till he had helped Jax Pavan one last time and vanished to be one with the Force. And yeah, his Ghost looked like the real deal then, which should be possible given the Force being allmighty.

Mistaken identity and clones are not my favourite retcon for Piell, but I got several ideas, the above being my personal favourite currently since it also explains why/how Jax felt his Master whose signature in the Force he should know and be able to see differences if it was an imposter. Especially since Piell was not seen in many sources during the Clone Wars if any at all aside his EU death post-ROTS. Maybe Jax did learn of Piells TCW death and assumed he survived it somehow when he met him again.. or he never learned of it busy with missions. Anyway.. Piell is Piell.

Zorrixor likes this.
  10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

Don't worry Coop. you'll not get me out of your orbit for some while :p plenty of time to discuss how to make us spin ;)

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, well, I was just gonna go with "Even Piell was a practitioner of the dopplegänger ability."

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    CooperTFN -- here's some others to add to your list:
    • Gardulla's survival
    • Mon Calamari's situation: different/contradictory capital and political system
    • Death of Tarpals
    • Onaconda Farr's death
    • Seeing R6 and R7 astro units. They aren't even supposed to be seen until after the GCW.
    I have some other points (the list is old) though you might deem some of them as nitpicks, or disliking the direction of the show. Also, we may as well get a retcon ready for Oppo Rancisis, given he had a model approved for the show, which will most likely appear in the bonus content. He will be DOA. :p

K'Kruhk likes this.
  13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm still partial to the Second Clone War of the Clone Wars involving the Separatists abducting Jedi and cloning them to use as infiltrators who would actively work to discredit the Jedi Order from the inside.

But there's obviously absolutely no evidence for that unless they actually did such a storyline one day.

But I do like the idea that Dooku and Sidious had inserted doppelgangers onto the Jedi Council. It just makes the Sith look that much more evil if they'd been manipulating the Jedi Council itself inside its own council chambers.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    For my own entry:

Evan Piell faked his death at the Citadel as part of a long term undercover operation. I mean, isn't it odd that he lived just long enough to tell Ahsoka the codes?

Now granted, they put his body in lava....maybe he knew some sort of secret jedi technique to have the lava not affect him? Or maybe the yellow lava of that planet isn't actually lava and thus not that dangerous? *shrug*

If I remember correctly, the guy in the novel was described as having both his eyes.

Just a bit of sloppy editing, but it gives us a nice out.

That has already been explained: her goons just cut her out of the Krayt dragon's stomach, since she was swallowed whole and the Krayt was killed very quickly after that.

Easy enough: they are a constitutional monarchy with both a king and a council.

It happened after the Duro incident, which is another reason his reputation was so low at the time.

Droid names are just a small part of an incredibly long string of numbers. Since the R6 and R7 droids in the series don't look anything like the ones from the Essential Guide to droids, it is most likely that they are simply called r6 and r7 for one reason or another, and aren't droids of that model.

Or they are Are-6 droids made as copyright skirting knock-offs. :p

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Going by likes, at least, it looks like the Palleus Chuff thing is enjoying a pretty strong lead, but Ceiran does raise a good point--at face value, it screws up Jax's POV in Jedi Twilight pretty much completely. And Jax losing his Master, to me, is actually a more important canon element that the identity of the dead person. Is there any way to have it be Chuff that still preserves Jax's reaction?

Or would we have to go the other direction, and make TCW's Piell into Chuff? Unlike Ryloth, the odds of that being contradicted somehow in the future are pretty much zero, so I think it'd be safe to go against George's opinion on this one if we absolutely have to.

Sounds like Jedi Flow to me. [​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Doing you a favor CooperTFN: It could be Chuff... who while thinking he acts Piell... is guided by the Force spirit of the true Even Piell from beyond the Grave! That'd also iron out my why his Force Ghost would have to look like a real person instead of the cheaper blue-ish hologram Ghost thingie Obi Wan could afford only.

Now if we only could add the other theory too making Chuff the long lost brother of Even Piell who never became a Jedi like his bro did... it's perfect. Then even the close bloodrelation of them would mask the Force signature being slightly off but familiar to Jax, due to Ghost-Piell remote controling his brother Chuff.

17. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    I blush. [face_blush] I really didn't think my cooky idea would gel with the novel. But looking through the first chapter using Amazon Preview, it looks like it could be possible. I'll look into it further. From what I can tell after browsing through the first chapter a little, it seems Piell is using the Force. Well, now we know how the Empire confiscated that pioneering technology developed for the Coruscant stage that would be refined in later years and come to haunt the Junior Jedi Knights! :p

@CeiranHarmony: Chuff can't be Even Piell's brother -- Chuff is human and Piell is a Lannik. Even if Lanniks are a near-human species (I'm guessing the Homo florensiensis of the SW universe), Chuff and Piell can't be any more related than we are to that ancient species. But your idea that Chuff thinks he's Piell is spot on, because whoever that guy is in the novel, he certainly believes himself to be Piell.

Anyways. All I'm saying is, Even Piell died on Lola Sayu. Not only is that the official word, it's also a necessity given the explicit nature of his death. I believe that any solution we come up has to use a different character from Piell in the novel.

P.S.: The yellow stuff on Lola Sayu is not lava (molten rock); it's molten sulphur. But it's not blood-colored, so it has to be rather cold. I'm guessing something like 150 °C. So, unlike Mustafar, it's realistic for people to stroll on the surface of Lola Sayu unprotected. I'm sure such an environment would be an unbearably hot, stinking hellhole if it existed in real life, but at least you wouldn't spontaneously combust just by being there. But faking your death (in front of two extremely powerful Jedi) and then surviving a dip in molten sulphur? There's no way out of that. And please don't bring up Maul. Maul fell, but we never saw him land in molten sulphur and disintegrate onscreen.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Not as far as the wook is concerned.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    I remember him being human in the novel. I don't think I'm mistaken, because I distinctly remember my reaction when reading: a human shorter than Yoda? That's unusual.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, the Piell in Jedi Twilight had twin eyes, so I find it unlikely he was the real Piell.

Though I am in deep support of the actor-turned-Jedi Master retcon. Order 66 either causes the actor to snap, or Piell marionettes him. Or both.

Beautiful.

EDIT: Oh, Coop, I fixed the title for ye.

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    then again maybe we should wait for Doctor Who's next season to see how already dead characters can die again... such impossible sidekicks are prime this season there ;)

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I like that, but it still doesn't explain Jax.

o_O

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Piell's ghost possesses Palleus Chuff briefly, a la Obi-wan possessing Luke in Splinter of the Mind's Eye. It turns out horribly.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ah, yeah, Splinter. That's not awful.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Technically the Splinter bit was a retcon too, so there's a precedent. Granted, Obi-wan's ghost never made Luke dress up like a crazy old hermit or start talking with a Scottish accent, but Chuff's an actor so it's all good.