main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Labyrinth, baby, Labyrinth...

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Skylark, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    I think Jereth is either not a goblin, or a goblin with such powers to make himself look like Sarah's ideal and to therefore capture her heart.

Bowie as the Goblin King certainly captured my heart! :X But aside from my swooning, that's a really cool reasoning as to why he's not all small and goblin-like. I've never thought of it that way.

CGI would destroy the Labyrinth...it's the same deal with the dancing alien in the Star Wars film ROTJ in Jabba's Palace (Unless it was under the control of Peter Jackson's mob who did the effects for LOTR...just good enough to be realistic but not over the top)

But otherwise it looks horrible and it takes away from what is supposed to be going on in the plot, focussing instead on computer effects.

2. spyderbyte

spyderbyte Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2003
    Sorry, wrong thread.

3. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Chris-Stacina_Rajinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Wow, I didn't know this thread existed. This is great! I grew up watching Labryinth, but I had no idea it had anything to do with Lucasfilm til the end of last year. Imagine my excitment :) I have it on VHS and DVD and I have the soundtrack. Labryinth is so one of the greatetst films ever made!!

4. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I just saw Labyrinth for the first time 2 days ago. What a ridiculous film.

5. Friend_of_Skylark

Friend_of_Skylark Jedi Knight star 5

May 19, 2002
    Ridiculously good you mean!

6. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    I rented a DVD from the library, and when I put it in, it wasn't the movie I rented, it was Labyrinth. I had forgotten how much I love this movie. Ludo is the cutest muppet. And Jereth... I remember when I was younger that I wanted to marry David Bowie.

7. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    *Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with weird and gilly, the spiders from mars, he played it left hand, but made it too far, became the special man, then we were Ziggy's band*

BOWIE, BABY, YEAH!!

Gotta love this film.

Oh and underlying principles really reflected the condition of the central characters mentality.

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I just saw this movie recently on DVD for the first time in years, and found it interesting (though not nearly as good a fantasy film as "Willow"). The storyline/plot was simple but effective, and the effects were great for the time period. I also liked the Jim Henson monsters, which were very original.

I thought the music was a little dated and "80'ish" (which makes sense), and I wasn't extremely impressed by the David Bowie-sung songs, but they were alright.

One of my favorite scenes was near the end of the film when the girl was trying to find her little brother in that maze, where all of the starwairs were upside-down, etc. Awesome! The whole thing reminded me of an M.C. Escher painting, and this was all before CGI! Very impressive.

9. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    Just goes to show you that CGI isn't always the answer

10. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Maybe someone should tell George that. ;).

I remember watching this movie along time ago (93/94 I think) at my neighbors house when my parents went to take our dog to put to sleep. A sad day but I like the movie. I need to watch it again, I just saw it at Fred Meyers for $8-10.

11. CanaceErinn

CanaceErinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2004
    Love this movie. I'm currently writing a fanfic based on elements from it, which you can read by clicking the link in my bio.

12. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    This was a good movie.
    I used to watch it all the damn time back when I was a kid.

13. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Oh great, another CGI bash thread.

I bought Labyrinth on DVD never having seen it but I'm a big fan of Davind Bowie (seen him in concert on his Reality tour in Vienna in November 2003- he is a amazing person) and Jennifer Connelley (liked her performance in Once Upon a Time in America).

Sure this movie is a little dated. I really wouldn't have minded if ILM had updated the visual effects and updating the blue screen work a bit. Two things that are a little strange:

Connelley treating her baby brother really badly in the beginning of the film.

AND

David Bowie's bulge- this is a kids movie, I'm surprised they still left a couple of these slightly distracting shots in it.

14. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Oh great, another CGI bash thread.

Where??? I must have fallen asleep.

I really wouldn't have minded if ILM had updated the visual effects and updating the blue screen work a bit.

Just to be clear, ILM didn't provide all the VFX for the film. They mainly worked on the matte paintings (interestingly much like other 2 80s fantasies: Dark Crystal and NeverEnding Story), but the rest of the VFX were done by a British crew.

Connelley treating her baby brother really badly in the beginning of the film.

Why is this strange. Perfectly fine to me.

David Bowie's bulge- this is a kids movie, I'm surprised they still left a couple of these slightly distracting shots in it.

Well, paraphrasing Will Ferrel in an SNL sketch, "if you haven't seen a bulge by now, you got problems" ;-)

15. Moon_Beam

Moon_Beam Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2005
    Hmm, Not sure if anyone clarified this yet but I remember reading some people talking about Jareth being human or not. He's A Fairy, as were all the goblins before Jareth's kingdom was cursed. Toby becoming prince, or Sara becoming Jareths queen would have broken the curse and returned everyone to normal. Again sorry if this was already said. But heh, just thought I'd try to be helpful ^_^;;

16. EdWood

EdWood Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2004
    i love this movie

17. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    I just recently bought the DVD version of Labyrinth with all kinds of yummy features, including the "making of" documentary. David Bowie actually talks about the whole "what/who exactly is Jareth" issue. I would definantly recomend seeing it for those of you are interested in that question. It also goes extensively into the whole process of developing and building all of the muppets that were used. It's really very interesting. It's also weird to see how incredibly young Brian Henson is!

I support CGI in certain venues, but for Labyrinth, it wouldn't have made any sense. Part of the magic of Labyrinth is that Sarah and Jareth can really interact with all of the non human characters on a physical level. What Jim Henson did with the movie and with the artform of puppetry in general is pure magic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.