main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Labyrinth, baby, Labyrinth...

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Skylark, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Friend_of_Skylark

Friend_of_Skylark Jedi Knight star 5

May 19, 2002
    YAY!!! Sir Didymus!!!

I havent' been in here in forever, but I just have to say, I love the fact that this place is still up!!!!

While on winter break, I was at the mall with Skylark and I picked up this great t-shirt at Hot Topic with Jereth and Sarah on it. :) Soooooo wonderful!!! Definantly worth the $20 I dropped on it!

2. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Friend_of_Skylark: Welcome back! :)The shop owner had to be a fan.

k-man: Dang thats a doozer. 8-}I think that the fact Jareth is their king - leader is why he is in human form thus he'd be more intimadating to them, who knows, maybe he is'ent a Goblin. :D

<[-]> Saber

3. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Hello all!

First off, this is my first foray into this forum, so apologies if I break any rules. I'm sure the droid will put me on the right track. ;)

I'm a huge labyrinth fan, and have been enchanted by it since I was a little girl wishing she could be whisked away from that awful thing called reality. That and David Bowie looks delicious in tights. :D

I haven't thoroughly read through this thread, but I have two links to offer up, one I know you haven't seen before.

The first is to the Labyrinth of Jareth Fantasy Masquerade Ball I've known about this event for a few years, but haven't been able to make it yet. Anyone heard of/been to this?

Also, way back on the first or second page, someone mentioned a masquarade wedding. Well, a few years ago my best friend actually had one, so here's a link to some of the pictures. If you look closely, you'll see one of the performers (who were all friends of the bride and groom) doing the crystal ball routine. It was tons of fun, techno and raspberry wine all night long, under a tent full of fabric and lights. Sigh

Enjoy!

~H~

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah there are many explanations to Jareth's apperance, the easiest would be, well the movie wouldn't work unless Sarah lusted for a human, it would be hard with a puppet [plus there would be no audience connection. Anyway just because he is the King Goblin it could imply that he is King of the Goblins, but not a goblin (in the regular sense ) himself. More kinda like a wizard who is and has procalimed himself King. Maybe there is another breed of Goblins or they have a fair form when they become a king. That's the other possibility, the Jareth is a goblin but shows himself as a human both to entice Sarah and to put himslef above the other goblins and thus rule over them.

5. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    The wedding looks beautiful!!!!

I think Jereth is either not a goblin, or a goblin with such powers to make himself look like Sarah's ideal and to therefore capture her heart.

6. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I think Jarreth must not be a goblin as evidenced by his appearance, but also because he is obviously "enchanted" and skillful with magic; no other goblin displayed such abilities.

He must be some other creature (I always fancied the idea of an evil elf) and as Malducin said, proclaimed himself king.

7. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    I just thought of something, I think Jereth needed Toby, to keep up some kind of mystical bloodline. Toby was going to be renamed Jereth and he was obviously being treated well by his captors. They cared about him. Was he perhaps the heir to the goblin throne? That means Jereth may have also been kidnapped and trained as an infant.

8. k-man

May 14, 2002
    Friend_of_Skylark: THAT's a really cool idea! Imagine, he (Jareth) is taken by the goblins, grows up and becomes their ruler! What a great back story.

I found an old draft of the Labyrinth script on another site and (for what it's worth), when Sarah defeats him in the end, Jareth shrinks into a muppet goblin like the rest.

9. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    k-man: I have to read that old draft. Can you link it or give directions, please? :confused:

<[-]> Saber

10. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    I found that once. The beginning scene was okay, but I really like the way it was rewritten, even though it doesn't give the info on Sarah's mom.

11. k-man

May 14, 2002
    For the early draft, go to labyrnth.tripod.com/labyrinth/index2.html and in the left-hand navigation bar, select BEHIND THE SCENES.

From the COMPLETE EARLY SCRIPT link, you can pull the script in from 4 seperate pages.

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it's pretty cool so far. Lots of stuff on this site about how the story evolved and how Bowie was in, then he wasn't, then he was back...

12. k-man

May 14, 2002
    Some one better think of a new topic before this thread gets buried again...

13. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    What did Jereth get from keeping Toby? Obviously he wasn't doing it for ***ts and giggles. He had a purpose for himfor he wouldn't have wanted to keep him so badly.

14. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well he could get two things: maybe a heir, companion or even a son (a paternal feeling or loneliness) but also a way to get to Sarah.

15. BanthaPanthaSithDude

BanthaPanthaSithDude Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2003
    I have been looking everywhere for a Labrynth T-shirt. It would be awesome to have one just to say I had one. I've looked everywhere! Any links?

16. Friend_of_Skylark

May 19, 2002
    I'd try any Hot Topics in your area. That's where I found mine. They're ussually in malls and stuff but they might have a website too.

17. GreenWrinklyYoda

GreenWrinklyYoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I found another person who saw Labyrinth. That's makes 3 people I know who say it!

Yub yub!

18. EmperorJohn

EmperorJohn Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2003
    I saw it many years ago. [face_sigh]
    At the time, it was a great movie.
    Conelly's first big role I might add.

But when I saw this thread, I thought it was about a possible re-make. Alas, having read through some of it .. there's no mention of that.

Bummer, cause I think CGI could really make this film a big blockbuster.

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Replacing Muppets with GCI is a good idea?

I don't think so!

20. Fat_Guy86

Fat_Guy86 Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2003
    Me and my role playing buddys have come to the conclusion that Jereth is just an epic (super, incrediblely powerful) bard.
    with enough charisma and magic to spare.
    I think the fact that he kept tobey was just to get to sarah, she would be distraught and traumatized if he were to kill him, or otherwise dispose of him. thus resulting in her ultimatly being forever unhappy and hating him.

also I must address jereth's extreme obbsession with underage girls, how old was she? 15? 16? and he's like anywhere from 30-36? and thats assuming he's human, if he was some kind of magical being then who knows how old he is?

21. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    "Bummer, cause I think CGI could really make this film a big blockbuster."

Huh? [face_shocked]I'm with jp-30 on this one, CGI would've butchered the entire magical feel of the movie and despite what most say; pales in comparison to the complicated facial expressions Hoggle made as well as being a physical prop.

Maybe if this film was done in this day and age some of the background puppets could've been digitally created but other than that don't tamper with a masterpiece. :)

<[-]> Saber

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > also I must address jereth's extreme obbsession with underage girls, how old was she? 15? 16?

Most of the world outside the US has the age of consent at 16 (or younger). It's all a matter of cultural conditioning.

23. Fat_Guy86

Fat_Guy86 Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2003
    thats very true JP-30, I should have addressed that, who knows what the goblin society deems acceptable?
    and even if they don't agree wioth him what are they gonna do about it?

24. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Take his crystal ball away.:)

25. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    I can't believe i didnt know of this thread.

JP... Why didnt you tell me?? :p

Labyrinth aye, gotta love the little worm at the start (did he have a name??). I have the Goblin Companion book, shows alot of concept drawings for all the goblins and has some funny background stories for some of them. managed to pick up the original 4-sheet poster a couple of weeks back, definitely one to get framed.

Its a pity there werent any Labyrinth toys...or were there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.