Senate Lack of Empathy in sociaty?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Likewater, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Likewater Force Ghost

star 4

No Man is an island, with great power comes great responsibility. If you are not hunting and gathering, you most likely did not make it on your own.

These are all common saying, but is it something we those who dwell in the United States have forgotten, i recently read this cracked article,

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-things-rich-people-need-to-stop-saying/

And it blew my mind, not what is being said. But that people rich or not may not have already known its truth, were as a society are inter connected.

When we eat most of us don?t farm our own food, we don?t transport our own resources, and we purchase the finished products of many communities hard work.

I am well aware I am as educated as I am because of my mother?s hard work, that my taxes pay for the things that keep society running, That my own Martial skills is a great deal due to my teachers and fellow students at my Dojo.

yes I pay my way, but I am also not hunting and gathering.

Have we as Americans forgotten that civilization is a collaborative effort?

2. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
  3. Violent Violet Menace Force Ghost

star 4
    Are you implying that people should be nice? How dare you? I'm grabbing my pitchfork, and I'm coming for you.
  4. Cushing's Admirer Force Ghost

star 6
    I completely agree with the original poster. Haven't read the link, but us Americans' arrogance, sense of entitlement, lack of respect for others and their efforts is appalling. :(

However, the world in general is a dark and cold place. However, I am very grateful that some, including Americans, are striving to rekindle empathy. It's a worthy struggle. :)
  5. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I think a lack of empathy is required to be in the 1%. It's the only possible reason some of these people aren't crippled with guilt as they stand on the backs of the rest of society.
  6. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    Not true. The 1% is anyone who makes over $350k a year (the line is somewhere around that number, I might be off by a bit). Which isn't middle class, but isn't rich. Still, even in the 1% of the 1%, we have millionaires and billionaires who create and support foundations, donate to charities, work to make the world a better place, etc. Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Oprah... they're all rich but they wouldn't fit your description. I don't think most in the 1% would fit your description. Could they do better? We all could do better. Let's just call out the rotten apples of the bunch, not generalize and stereotype an entire demographic. Should they pay more in taxes? I think so. Do they sometimes misunderstand others and their economic situations, or make stupid mistakes? Of course, everyone does. We all could benefit from a more open dialogue, without condemning anyone based on our misleading stereotypes of rich/poor.
  7. Gonk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Firstly, as a non-American, let's remember that this is by no means strictly an American issue. That American problems are discussed particularly is mainly because they're the country with the most power in the entire world, and they broadcast their issues freely abroad into a world that largely can speak the same language (the Russians back in the day were neither so free about airing their issues, and not a whole lot of the world spoke Russian).

Empathy is society is a problem, largely because Empathy is often hard work if a compassionate situation is not sitting right in front of you. Someone has to take a moment and consider another point of view, has to consider life from another angle.

The movie 'threads' comes to mind a bit, although in this case not because of it's nuclear war angles -- although that should be reason enough. But because few of us consider just how many aspects of our lives were built on what came before. That you might be married to someone you would have otherwise never met at 26 if you hadn't taken the job opportunity that caused you to switch cities of residence at 21. That you wouldn't live in the house you have now if you hadn't gotten the idea to improve that big project at work, and never would have had THAT idea if you had never picked up that technical manual 5 years back that gave you the idea. And never would have read THAT book if your friend from 7 year before that, who you've now lost contact with, hadn't told you about that book.

Everything we live in now is built upon the foundations of hundreds of years of living. Even if you're over here in North America, every condo tower you see wouldn't have been possible without much of the 5 or so millenia we associate with human civilization. It's more than just a collaborative effort of people living now: it's a collaborative effort of people who have been long dead as well.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Capitalism by nature promotes individualism and greed, any attempts at social equality and nationalisation for the greater good are labelled as some sort of Communist evil and attacked (certainly by the right-wing anyway).

It is true that what you do with your money is mobody else's business and you don't have to help others, and yes technically taxation is stealing through government force. We have a class-based society in the west because there will always be those that are wealthier and more successful than others. Those people should not be hated as many earned it through innovation and dedication, but they also have the means to change a lot for others.
  9. DarthIktomi Jedi Master

star 4
    $388350. Also, that's usually an objective definition of rich. And your "I'm not rich" argument is, ahem, on David Wong's list.

Seriously, any time rich people say they have their own problems, or they're "not really rich", I just think of this:

(Supposed to be a meme of First World Problems about getting a large when you wanted a medium. Didn't work.)

Didn't she have an abuse scandal at her girls' school in South Africa, though? And doesn't she wear "vegan" makeup made from baby foreskins? And doesn't her spinoff, The Doctors, claim vaccines might indeed cause autism, "but only if you're genetically predisposed to it".

And her credulity can be summarized by four simple words: Over nine thousand penises. And four more words: And they're raping children! (Also, when I first considered that a meme. Brava, Oprah.)
  10. Ghost Chosen One

star 6

$388350. Also, that's usually an objective definition of rich. And your "I'm not rich" argument is, ahem, on David Wong's list.

Seriously, any time rich people say they have their own problems, or they're "not really rich", I just think of this:

(Supposed to be a meme of First World Problems about getting a large when you wanted a medium. Didn't work.)

I read the list, that's why I posted that. People making that much are usually very well off, but they're not rich. They have a slightly bigger house, which is usually new or rennovated, and a slightly larger yard. They can afford better cars, afford better upkeepr of their property, afford expensive toys and games for their kids on Christmas, afford sending their kids to a very nice private school, and afford more and better family vacations. But they're not "rich." When I think of rich, I think of mansions, yachts, multiple nice homes, extremely nice cars, and all that... you need to be making millions a year to afford that lifestyle. And no, I personally don't fit into any of these categories. I'm living in a house that's literally falling apart and has almost no heat insulation in the winter, so don't assume anything.

Didn't she have an abuse scandal at her girls' school in South Africa, though? And doesn't she wear "vegan" makeup made from baby foreskins? And doesn't her spinoff, The Doctors, claim vaccines might indeed cause autism, "but only if you're genetically predisposed to it".

And her credulity can be summarized by four simple words: Over nine thousand penises. And four more words: And they're raping children! (Also, when I first considered that a meme. Brava, Oprah.)

How's that related in any way to the point I was making? That rich people do have empathy, and we should just focus on calling out the rotten apples of t he bunch?
  11. Likewater Force Ghost

star 4
    I know Mr.Wong article was abut the 1%, but I felt it liked to a greater issue.

The issue of civic responsibility, condemnation, and insular views.

This is the "Theforce.net" and he made quite the telling comparison with wealth and the jedi order.

If you have been gifted with resources, is it not your duty to help the greater community with thoes resources? After all, being the best in your chosen feild does not equal wealth. And Lucrative feilds do not equal...for lack of a more discriptive term "Vital Feilds"

Sanitation, servicing the Power grid, law enforcement, Farming, road and rail maintinance, the maintinance and piloting of ships and aircraft, are all feilds critical to civilization, but hardly the most lucrative.

the concept of "I made it on my own" or "I earned this so its mine" comes off a incredibly childish. I understand feeling it or in a moment of weakness or stress saying it. But It boggles my mind there is an entire political movement based around the "MINE! YOU NOT TOUCH" concept.
  12. MasterDillon Jedi Master

star 2
    A lack of sympathy? Have you not seen how people are helping each other out in the aftermath of the tornadoes across the country of America? People are inviting total strangers to live in their homes, people are donating supplies and goods to the tornado victims. Yeah mabe there is alot of evil in the world, but there is even more good in the world it just isn't reported in the news.

Yeah that is true about entitlement, alot of times I wonder at school what will happen to my classmates when they all of a sudden realise that they are going to have to be paying for their own internet, cell phone, house/apartment etc. and that their parents won't be paying it for them once we graduate. It also makes you wonder what will happen to us as a country as we start to rely more on technology it is a scary thing.