main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Lack of Plotholes in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Bor Gullet, May 30, 2018.

1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think that Beckett specifically says in the movie that they (team in the rain) triggered the sensor which caused droids to activate and he warns that they did it , so Val didn't make mistake at all. It was Enfys' gang (that was not part of the plan) that ruins the raid that otherwise would've gone smoothly. I'm not sure where the sensor was but I got the picture they wouldn't have triggered the sensor without the Cloud Rider's surprise attack

That was a mess-up from their part, but I think that it tells about Enfys Nest being still inexperienced and she made a mistake. Character making an understandable mistake or misjudgment is not a plot hole. It may also be that they didn't plan so well ahead as Beckett's gang, but went there quickly without good preparations.

I actually think that their bikes would've been able to carry that one car to safety if At-Hauler wouldn't have intervened- now it pulled the car to one direction and when Han released it, all that built momentum did the rest to make it fall. Sure it would've been wiser to capture the Hauler instead but they made a quick decision to focus on the train and use bikes to get the prize- it could've worked that way too.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I liked that I was able to go through this movie without a bunch of glaring "but that doesn't make sense!" moments. I have to think looking for the plot holes. :)

spicer and Bor Gullet like this.
  3. SunStar

SunStar Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2015
    I saw it a second time today and liked it even more. I was able to catch some things I hadn't before. One question I had: why doesn't Beckett kill Vos after he had shot his guards? He knows Vos will come after him. Why leave him alive? I thought perhaps Beckett really thought he could disappear. Did he believe that Vos would be killed by Han or Qi'ra?

4. JamieH

JamieH Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015

Because the script needed Q'ira to have a cool fight with him and kill him? :)
    Yah, Beckett probably should have shot everyone in that room except for Chewbacca. But it isn't the only time in the film Beckett doesn't kill someone when he probably should have.

5. SunStar

SunStar Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2015
    I didn't think he'd kill Qi'ra and Han. They weren't a threat to him they way Vos was. He had a soft spot for Han (though he snapped open his holster and was ready to kill him in the next scene). It's true that it's not the first time he leaves people alive. Perhaps it wasn't a well thought out plan on his part.

6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The sequence with the name seemed okay to me at first but then when he’s talking to Lando about how his father built YT-1300s and all of that it seemed strange that he wouldn’t have had an actual last name.

But I suppose it’s more that he’d rather not go by that because of how his dad was or what happened to him.

7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I thought it was the fact that he was now on the run from criminals like that Proxima woman. So he couldn't afford to be known by his real name any longer.

wobbits likes this.
  8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    That makes sense, and is probably the reason for the name change. It's also possible his real last name would flag something with Imperials. Either way Han is getting away from his past.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Do we really know how Corellians get their names?- Especially in new canon. Maybe people on the lower classes don't even have a surname and Han's father also lacked surname.[face_thinking] Sure judging by the imperial recruiter's reaction he should've had a surname, but we don't know how long he has been there and how well he knows the local culture. If lower classes never recruit to the empire under normal circumstances Han may be first "street rat" he has encountered.

Sure it seems more probable that Han doesn't want to give his name(for several reasons) but has one he wants to forget. But we never learn if he even had one- probably, but not necessarily.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Han's real last name could be a plot point for a future film if we meet his actual family. More likely it's a link or payoff for Rey in The Force Awakens not having a last name. And Finn too. Rey and young Han have a lot in common. So does Finn and young Han. Old Han finding them on the Falcon must make him think about what it could have been if he and Qi'ra both escaped Corellia on ship.

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes good points there. But Finn didn't have a real name at all which is even worse than having only one name. Some beings in the galaxy like Chewbacca for example have only one name, so imperial policy of requiring surname seems to be very racist or at least culturally racist way to keep unwanted persons easily out of the imperial service. Yet it seems that the empire very easily accepts people to recruitment ( as long as you are human and have some surname) but what expects many of them is the future as cannon-fodder on worlds like Mimban. Especially if you don't follow the orders that seems to be where you end up.

12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Han Skywalker
    Han Kenobi
    Han Palpatine
    Han Random 8-}

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Han-Han Binks.

14. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I like all of that. Okay, that came out wrong. I like that it seems to fit the way I imagine the Empire being.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Captain Hantilles

16. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    Second viewing last night. Still love the movie. Still felt tight
    Although the one thing that i was rubbing my chin about was how were they going to pay Lando the fast ship he unfairly won from Han ? Were they Just gonna leave without honouring the deal ? I'd imagine Dryden would kill them before paying for that goof

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Lando is probably owed a ship. Techinally Lando's ship was impounded at the time, so he's not exactly honest either. But the Kessel heist pays so much, they could have easily given Lando a bit extra out of that and not missed it. I think it's said the fuel is worth 60 million. In A New Hope we learn 17 thousand is almost enough to buy a ship. Lando probably forfeits claims to anything when he splits after Enfys Nest shows up.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018
    Yeah. Pretty bad deal for Lando all round. He doesn't get the ship he his owed from the game, nor any money for the coaxium heist, his partner and friend is killed, and top it all the Falcon is trashed. No wonder he left so grumpily.

I wonder what else Han pulled on him to make him so bitter when they meet again at Cloud City?

19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Well, Lando won the fictional ship by cheating. Maybe after the heist was over, he thought it's not worth asking for the Han's "ship" considering all the loses during the mission. And when they meet again on the tropical planet to play sabacc, Lando knows that Han & Chewie know he's a cheater, so asking them for a non-existing ship he won by cheating won't work anyway.

CT-867-5309, wobbits and SunStar like this.
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Great points. As bad as things go for Han in Solo, it's even worse for Lando.

Also Lando is surprised to see Han alive at the end of the movie. He's not expecting to get a ship from a deadman.

21. Bor Gullet

Feb 8, 2018

Seems about right. I imagine things always turn out disastrous when Lando and Han's paths cross !

22. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Biggest plot hole I found was that Vos agrees to rob Kessel because the Pykes don't know the crew are related to Crimson Dawn then sends Qira with them.

I'm forces of destiny it is shown that it is known she is part of Crimson Dawn

23. datatapes

datatapes Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2016
    That's probably it. So, he wasn't telling the truth when he said that was the reason he didn't wipe her memory. He would have been embarrassed to admit that he actively wanted to keep her around.
    However, another possible explanation might be that, possibly because of the way the AI works, there are technical difficulties involved in separating the navigation database from L3's personality (so as to download one without the other, or wipe one but not the other). This explanation is suggested by the fact that when the crew upload L3's memory into the Falcon, they state that L3 is now part of the Falcon, which would hardly be the case if they had been able to transfer across the navigation data on its own.
    Perhaps this was simply for lack of time or relevant expertise, but I think there may be a suggestion that the data and the personality are intertwined in complex ways.

Sarge likes this.
  24. datatapes

datatapes Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2016
    Even if it wasn't known, if they'd been captured, her tattoo would have been a dead giveaway.

25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Does the tattoo mean she is part of Crimson Dawn or she was a slave of Crimson Dawn? Like is it a life time membership or more like a brand that if she could escape had a totally different meaning.

Sarge likes this.