main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Lacking Heavy Weaponry (clone vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kudzu, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Title: Lacking Heavy Weaponry

Author: Kudzu

Timeframe: Clone Wars, Year Two-Three

Characters: OCs

Genre: Angst/Philosophy

Summary: A snapshot of the lives of four noncombatant clones from Kamino, doing their duties for the Grand Army of the Republic in their own way.

Disclaimer: Unofficial, Star Wars in general is property of Lucasfilm, etc etc.

Epigraph: "Let us train our minds to desire what the situation demands" - Seneca

How can I be a clone trooper when my job is not to destroy my enemy, but to bandage my brothers, keeping their legs elevated while more of them rush by with guns blazing? Why do they receive the glory while I perform tracheotomies and loot my brothers' corpses for intact limbs and organs, unblemished skin for grafting and fresh blood for transfusions? Why are they the proud infantrymen of the Republic, while I am just a medic, a Human droid?

CT-55/M2 wrestled with these questions every day, every hour, every minute of his life. He was no soldier, as much as he desired to have been one and not a battlefield surgeon. Not a medic. He wanted to not just heal, but kill, as he had been originally created to do.

Where is my Deece rifle? he asked himself sometimes. Where are my reverse-polarity grenades?

Where is my glory?

Sometimes he thought that some cruel god must be hiding them from him, and sometimes he thought that he'd spend the rest of his life searching for what he was robbed of by fate.

The Kaminoans had constantly reminded him that he was lucky to have been kept alive. The others in his batch had frequently gone on to greatness, serving at Muunilist and Hypori. He hadn't. From his earliest exercises, he'd never been the marksmen that his brothers had been. He hadn't run as hard or swam as fast.

He just hadn't been strong enough. But instead of culling him with a lethal injection as they had done with so many other sub-par trainees, the Kaminoans had given him a medical kit and some stimpacks, and they had entrusted him with the duty of saving those wounded in live-fire training from the jaws of death and helping them recover back to their full health.

By some accursed twist of fate, M2 had actually been good at the damn job. And so the Kaminoans made him a medic.

They told them that he was fortunate to have not been disposed of. They said that he was lucky. But sometimes, despite knowing what good things his service as a medic did for the Republic and for his brothers, Emtoo wished that they'd just killed him instead so that he'd never have to suffer the ignobility of standing by while the other troopers marched into the thick of battle.

He would never paint a kill mark on the side of his gunship. He'd never feel the grim, fierce satisfaction of seeing droid parts scatter in his rifle's sights. He'd never be awarded the Chancellor's Service Medal after some daring commando raid into an enemy battleship core.

He knew blood and gore and injury and death. But they were not of his enemies. They were of his brothers.

Emtoo understood that it was a selfish desire of his, to wish that he'd died instead of being shipped out to serve as some lowly field medic for his injured and dying duplicates. He'd saved the lives of many clone troopers - more glory for them to grab in a life not cut so short, thanks to him; more units surviving as assets to the Republic's militant defense.

In a way, it was honorable in itself. He was saving lives. He was helping his brothers and he was helping the Republic.

He still wished that he could be out there, shooting and destroying and killing - but if he was, who else would be back here, in his place, patching up the wounded and stacking up the dead? A droid - one of the cylindrical FX-6 medical robots that were standard-issue among gunship crews? He didn't trust them. Droids had their precision, but they couldn't ever replace organic sentients. If he was the one in pain, bleeding profusely from a shrapnel wound in the gut or missing an arm and both legs from a l

2. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    You guys are putting out some absolutely fantastic clone wars literature. Kudzu, this was another awesome viggie. If you ever wrote a clone wars novel (or have you?), I'd definitely read it front to back. Good job as always!

Edit: Excellent title, btw.

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I can't really describe how good this is. I think you've probably hit on one of the most original angles possible to portray the clones from, and you pulled it off exquisitely, these two segments in particular:

Once again, excellent.=D=

Vor'e, ner vod.

4. Aiden_Sanic

Aiden_Sanic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2005
    Kudzu, your a clone fanatic.

But a damn good one. ;)

Wonderful Viggie, I love the men in white.

5. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    This is a close second to "What is Real" for me, Kudzu. :) As your writing partner, I have to admit I feel kinda bad I didn't think of something like this first, heh.

But ladies and gents, stuff like this is why I write with Kudzu. He could kick my ass any day of the week but still puts up with my procrastination. Good writer and a patient dude. :)

6. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Wow, thanks guys :D

Fixed an issue with some clone trooper rank confusion. Yes, I invented the Senior Clone Marshal Commander rank (what a mouthful!) because c'mon, considering how big the Grand Army must really be, and considering how pacifistic a lot of the Jedi Masters seem to be, they'd need higher-up clones and other officers (Baraka from TCD, Grunger, Tarkin, etc.) to lead some of the sector armies. So there are only a few of them - literally, just a few - but Van has the distinguishment of being one of them. :cool:

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Why do they receive the glory while I perform tracheotomies and loot my brothers? corpses for intact limbs and organs, unblemished skin for grafting and fresh blood for transfusions?

Ohhhh, that line had me hooked! :_|

I noticed that the four mini stories seem to progress from "I hate my life" to "I accept my life" to "I'm proud of my life." Whether or not that was intentional, it made the ending line even stronger. Another amazing vig, Kudzu! =D=

8. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Kandosii, ner vod!=D=

I gotta second Mig on that... it's very close second to "What is Real", if not even on the same step... ;)

The idea is great, and all chars seem very real, and I really guess that we have such clones in the GAR.

Only one thing: Commander Van is a 1st gen Commander. Since he hadn't joined Alpha's sessons, he should still have a "CT-##/##-####" desig...

and btw, you should've named him "Thrawn" or so, lol... at least "Threnn" sounds quite similar to "Thrawn" :p

again, awesome job, Kudzu...=D=

Keep up the amazing work, burc'ya [face_peace]

9. young_zev

young_zev Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 1999
    Great stuff, Kudzu. Kandosii.

10. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    That's a confirmed typo on Bly and in Deviss's case, he was promoted two-thirds of the way through the war. Not sure about A'den.

Hehe, have you been reading my Fanfiction Database page? [face_peace]

Again, thanks guys - glad you all liked. :)

11. Arcalian

Arcalian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
    I especially liked the tactician one.

12. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Nope...

Wanna give me a link to it? [face_batting]

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This was simply amazing! Bravo! You really know how to get inside the mind of the troopers, a hard feat! =D=

14. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Linkie

15. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Sweet... Vor'e, ner vod.

I have such profiles for my Havoc Squad and Shadow Taung as well, but not for each character I write... maybe the idea isn't so bad, if you want to use chars in more than one fic.

I really like Faäs and Bendak... can't wait them to have their own fics :D

Commander Threnns backstory is nice as well *g* - even tho, as you already mentioned, the rank "Senior Marshal CLone Commander" doesn't exist... :p

16. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    This was excellent. You portrayed their thoughts so well. Bravo! =D=

17. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Thanks again, everybody. A note that I rewrote the ending a li'l bit and yes! I did shorten the title! [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.