main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD LACWAC - Management Statement on Harassment & Poor Behaviour

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Okay, then why am I only seeing this zero tolerance policy here? If it is so widespread. We're like ground zero for all your problems aren't we?

2. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    so we are not allowed to be mean to someone on the forum
    but we are allowed to express negative and positive opinions regarding George Lucas / Dave Filoni / TCW / ?

Huyang likes this.
  3. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    To hell with both of them. Or to Japan. They'd make millions hocking their crap over there.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    We've had an official harassment policy in place for over 4 years.

5. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Then why not just put that up? Like I said, we're ground zero for all your guys problems, hence we always seem to get a ton of these mod announcements.

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    You mean, like, just throw up another generic mod announcement and hope it resonates with everyone?

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  7. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    You know what I want to talk about but I can only dart around the issue because of your ban policies. So we get to hear about how mean spirited we all are and how we should just back off personally while everyone else just goes about their business.

8. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm not even sure what you're talking about, to be honest. Unless you're planning to flame me or start harassing me for what I posted, you're not going to be banned for continuing the discussion. Just keep it civil.

9. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Because despite you guys not wanting us to talk about bans, I know part of the impetus for putting this announcement up. And I have serious issues with it, but I'm not allowed to voice them here.

Directed to you personally, is the question of why, if we have the four year old policy, do we need to be told right now, specifically for this forum, about reminding users of the policy, passively mentioning actions of the two banned people, if it was not connected to the bannings I can't discuss?

10. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Then I guess I don't need to tell you that the policy regarding the discussion of specific bans has been around longer than most of us have been posting here, and that any discussion of a ban is only done between the user and the mod(s) involved.

This thread isn't about any specific user. It's about the overall state of this community, which I think we've elaborated on quite a bit in this thread already.

11. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    And I pointed out that the behavior that SSS was condemning came from the same thread he personally endorsed. If he's gonna use examples of those that have been hit over harassment bans, then use ones that don't make him look like a hypocrite.

12. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    By that logic, I'd be a hypocrite for endorsing the LACWAC forum as a good place for any new user to discuss the Clone Wars TV show, even though we've condemned some of the behavior that's existed there.

13. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I'll just remove myself before I say something nasty. feel free to come by the Kowak forum if you want to discuss this more bluntly.

14. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Feel free to continue posting here in a civil and respectful manner.

15. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    As a new user, having come back to this forum after many many years away, and first arriving back on the Temp boards I was shocked to see a lot of negativity. Just yesterday I felt quite offended by a post that basically said that anyone that likes TCW needs to be educated to see how bad it is. That felt like anyone who likes the show must have a screw loose in their head or something if they like this show. I don't know how positive this forum gets during when the season airs having not experienced it, yet the last few weeks I am starting to feel I can't state a positive feeling about this show and that I'm not welcome here. I respect that everyone has their own opinion and are entitled to it, however. Yet on other forums I visit for a completely different fandom I have never seen such hostility towards a show before though it does exist there, its just not as loud and its a shock. Part of me does wonder if I should just stay over in the Fanclub thread and never visit this part of the forum because of the atmosphere that I am perceiving here.

Eh, maybe I should just get used to it or something?

16. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Eh, there's not much difference IMO. :p

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've been around TF.N a lot longer than my registration date suggests, i.e. before TCW show was even an inkling in George Lucas' brilliant brain, and people have been making such posts about anyone who likes the prequels since, oh, 1999 or so. I usually comment on the arrogance of such mentality when someone makes a post indicating that "all educated people/all people with taste share my opinion." Anyone who frequents the Movie forums has seen me do that at least once. There is no need to feel chased off the forums by the "everyone with taste shares my opinion" posts, as there is no one opinion shared by "everyone with taste." If you like the show, by all means feel confident in that and say so.

Some people have gotten disgruntled with the show over the past few years, myself included, although there are still some aspects I like. (I loved Evil Plans, and I am fairly certain that I am the only person posting here who did.) If every post was "this show rocks", the forum would get boring really quickly.

Harassment is never OK and I wish the boards had been stricter ten years ago, however, you should not feel harassed or even unwelcome by the type of posts you described.

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Zandalor - I know why you're upset. But, this was debated for a long time, and as Grimby said, this was a forum-wide problem.

Some people were bigger problems than others, but we were all getting sucked into it.

And approving a thread at one point and then later saying "this has gone far enough" happens all. the. time. That's when we lock threads.

This is nothing about expressing your opinion, it was users attacking other users or mocking them.

I said in the op, the hands-off approach wasn't working in any permanent way and we needed to do something more direct.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I thought things had gotten better since the move.. Well, I think we can all agree this place shouldn't be too jerky, or too uptight. Common sense ftw.

20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    No one should get offended if someone posts a negative comment, likewise no one should get offended if someone posts a positive comment. (Opinions =/= facts, ect)

There is a difference between harassing someone because they like TCW and sharing your feelings of the show.

21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am mad about what TCW is doing, and I have a lot of reasons for feeling the way I do. I feel like a lot of people don't understand what TCW is doing to the Clone Wars multimedia project, and the multimedia project is going to be lost to the sands of time if I don't speak out about TCW's disrespect for everything that came before it.

22. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Guys, anyone who's been here for a time knows there has been a large number of people with a heavily critical eye or even flat-out dislike for the show.

Have you seen my thoughts since halfway through S3? :p

We have NEVER banned someone because they didn't like a particular episode or even the show.

That is going to stay the same.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  23. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Mod Edit: This is a warning, discussion about bans on this forum will not be tolerated.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  24. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    THIS IS A WARNING. SILENT ALARM ACTIVATED.

25. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    ^ [face_laugh]

It'll be clear soon enough what people are suddenly missing anyway, Zando.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.