main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion LACWAC Member Interviews (★☆★ SpecialOpsUnit & Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes ★☆★)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Sep 4, 2012.

1. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Argh.... this was a pain. A lot harder than the episode list. The funny thing is, it's not that I care a ton about a lot of characters -- there are a handful that go in my top 10 hands-down, then a bunch I'm pretty "meh" about.

In some sort of vague semblance of order:

1 - Nute Gunray - because he's a quirky despicable stylin' little crony with possibly the best dialogue on the show.
    2 - Obi-Wan Kenobi - because he sticks by his morals and keeps the stiff-upper-lip attitude no matter what happens.
    3 - Hondo Ohnaka - because he's the most hilarious character on the show.
    4 - Asajj Ventress - because she's quite probably the most thoroughly developed character on the show, and can still play an effective villain.
    5 - Aurra Sing - because she's a super-badass. I sort of feel the show throws deus ex machinae at her to force her to lose all the time.
    6 - Barriss Offee - because if I were 5, she'd be my favorite. She's a more relatable hero than Ahsoka.
    7 - Rex - because although I thought he was just a dispassionate clone when the show first started, he actually proved to be more self-conscious and dynamic then some of the main heroes.
    8 - Waxer - because he's one of the most kind-hearted souls on the show and one of the few clones who understood what they were really fighting for.
    9 - Quinlan Vos - because he's a nonchalant sort of bloke WITH morals (the down-to-earth attitude seems to be more common among the unscrupulous ne'er-do-wells on this show...)
    10 - Mar Tuuk - because he's bloody brilliant.

That list could and probably will change by tomorrow, but that's what I've got for now. Runners-up were Satine, Halle Burtoni, and Tera Sinube. And Grievous should be up there. He really should. But this show's really killed his character. I shouldn't have to flinch every time he appears onscreen in anticipation of his next failure.

AkashKedavra_93

3. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    4. Barriss_Coffee: Who would be added if the list were expanded to the Top 20?

4. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Awesome choices. Kinda did not expect Gunray to top Hondo or Barriss Offee in your list.

But Gunray FTW!

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    In retrospect, if he weren't in the PT I doubt I'd ever have gotten into the EU, and probably wouldn't still be on this site. He's one of the few characters who's always hilarious to watch... even after almost a decade and a half (geez TPM is old!)

Ok AkashKedavra_93, you are a stern taskmaster! But I shall obey. Here goes...

11 - Mace Windu - because he's so dang badass he gives you chills to see him in action!
    12 - Satine Kryze - because she's a pacifist and not a total moron like Padme. Although I think she's terribly underused on the show.
    13 - Halle Burtoni - because she's sort of hilarious (a purple Kaminoan?!?), and a villain that's fun to hate.
    14 - Tera Sinube - because I always love cool ol' blokes who spout words of wisdom. Sort of like Yoda, before he became wedded to politics.
    15 - Grievous - because he *used* to be one of my all-time favorite characters back when Genndy's show came out, and nostalgia mandates I put him on my list somewhere. There's still a chance he can redeem himself. Maybe if he kills Darth Maul or something.
    16 - Kit Fisto - because you gotta love that smile.
    17 - Cad Bane - because if he wasn't marketed as the Gary Stu of villains, he'd be higher on my list. He's awesome, but the show maximizes this tenfold to the point he's always gotta be #1, unless he's dealing with one of the Big Three.
    18 - Luminara Unduli - because although I didn't care for her before the show, she worked well as a main hero and was one of the more level-headed characters. A true Jedi. I like that.
    19 - Mina Bonteri - because she tells the truth! Or at least, more truth than Padme and most of the Republic. Granted she's still being duped, but she's got a better argument than the Jedi and those working in the Republic Senate!
    20 - Eeth Koth - because I'm probably the only soul who ever wrote Eeth Koth fanfic, so I sorta feel obligated to put him on the list. (Also, Saesee Tiin and Sora Bulq both "died" in the same lousy sourcebook that claimed he did originally. I suggest everyone read Catch-22 who has a beef with his "return"...)

6. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
  7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm still awaiting the resurrection of the fourth person from that source book...

[​IMG]

8. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Well that's a sight to wake up to in the morning.... good grief!

Well knowing Filoni, Mr. Gon might not be a complete goner yet.

AkashKedavra_93: Best arcs, huh? Well I know these three definitely:

Umbara - consistently good plots, characters, settings, and technology. Just didn't like the Krell part in the last episode.
    Ventress/Savage (Season 3 ONLY) - I really liked how *different* this arc was... finally we really got to see what was going on with the bad guys.
    Deception/Obi-Wan Disguised arc - Obi-Wan disguised as an awesome badass while outwitting the opposition. Hard to beat that. Except like Umbara, the last episode was sort of weak.

I'm also a fan of the Citadel (cool location, villain, & Tarkin, although not a fan of the Even Piell thing), the Holocron-Heist-trilogy (decent heroes vs villains plot with some twists, and didn't get boring), and the Gunrilogy (EXCEPT Bombad Jedi... sort of hated that episode, although the initial premise wasn't bad -- the Gunray vs Padme thing was something that needed to be addressed, and this was one of the few arcs they used Grievous well)

Seerow likes this.
  9. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    6. Which arcs have surprised you the most, good and bad? Barriss_Coffee

10. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Surprised... hmmmm...

Well I'll start with the bad, because that's somewhat easier:

-Dooku Captured/Bombad General: Surprising because they introduced a hilarious memorable character (Hondo), plus had a plot they could have struck gold with (Obi-Wan and Anakin forced to work with Dooku), and managed to turn it into a painful slap-stick comedy. And then added Jar Jar. It was already mindless slapstick before he entered the picture, but it was ten times worse afterwards.

-Blue Shadow Virus/1000 Moons: Again, they had a good plot. Plague in the making since TPM, plus the elusive Iego. I was actually really looking forward to this one before seeing it. Then they managed to introduce a character who was even MORE annoying than Jar Jar. I was watching Season 1 with friends and they quit the show after this episode. Plus there was a pink Gungan. And Jar Jar. And Padme in a stupid outfit. And the Iego plot made no sense. ARGH.

-Corruption/Academy: Was really looking forward to seeing Mandalore again. Was expecting Pre Vizsla's revenge. Wasn't expecting... lizard salesmen tea and the scooby doo gang.

Onto good surprises:

-Rookies/Kamino (is that an arc?): They killed all the main characters! In reverse chronological order! Yikes!

-Umbara: This is what I imagined the Clone Wars as back in ANH, when Luke's reaction was like an Earth kid wanting to hear tales of his grandfather's exploits in a World War. Grim, crazy, you never know if your next move's going to be your last -- all that kind of war stuff. Not like what we see in... um... Bombad Jedi. So I was surprised to finally see a real battle that didn't rely on the Big Three.

-Nightsisters/Savage arc (Season 3): A story centered on the villains at last!

-Deception arc: This one surprised me because we really had no clue what was going to happen, aside from Obi-Wan's inevitable survival.

AkashKedavra_93

11. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    4. Season 4's Revenge. Oh brother. brother. brother. Bringing Maul back was just a marketing gimmick, and it's ruining Maul's reputation. Not only was the premise of that finale utterly ridiculous, but the dialogue sort of sucked as well.

3. Season 3's Wookiee Hunt. For me, this is almost tied neck-and-neck with Season 2's finale in terms of quality. Wookiee Hunt had some good stuff -- the setting was beautiful, and it was exciting enough. But I didn't care about most of the characters, heroes or villains. And although I love Chewy, seeing him paired with Ahsoka was more than a little annoying. It seemed like Ahsoka could do no wrong in those episodes.

2. Season 2's Lethal Trackdown. Although I was really annoyed at the way Aurra was defeated, and with Boba Fett's stupid quip at the end of the episode, it was still sort of fun to watch. I had mostly enjoyed that episode until the last few minutes.

1. Season 1's Hostage Crisis. By far the best season finale. It not only had a decent plot, it managed to include elements from many of the previous arcs in that season (even the movie). And Cad Bane certainly became a memorable villain after this one.

Hmmm... I don't like the trend I'm seeing in that list...:p

AkashKedavra_93

13. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Your list shows the decline in episodic quality. Going from great stories to mainly visual episodes with no good story.

14. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    That's exactly it -- now that I'm thinking back through all the episodes, the visuals are the main thing I remember from a lot of the later episodes. The actual plots are sort of meh (not consistantly, but frequently). Hostage wasn't visually impressing in the least. But it's plot was a succinct ending to the first season and a great lead-in to the next season.

Ok season premieres...

5th place - Mon Cal episodes (these sort of meld into one in my memory...) - The Mon Cal have always sort of bored me in the EU, and for some reason they did it here too. I guess it's because they're (almost) always shown as the unerringly reputable, noble heroes. They'll always win, they're never wrong. There's nothing particularly interesting about them.

4th place - Ambush - I feel bad picking on this episode. It served it's purpose. It was a simple introduction to the clones, Ventress, and did a good job with Yoda. But it's pretty boring.

3rd place - Revival - I sort of liked this episode despite my better judgement. Darth Maul's dramatic return ending in complete and utter ruin at the hands of some rowdy Weequay pirates is a plot to be shunned by most fans but... they did it well enough. Hondo was hilarious, and I can't say I was rooting for the Maul bros. Especially after what happened with Adi.

2nd place - Holocron Heist - This was a fun episode. We got to see some more of the Jedi Temple, Cad Bane and his nefarious plans, and a Clawdite disguised as Jocasta Nu. I can't complain.

1st place - Clone Cadets - I almost put Holocron Heist in first place, but the premise of Clone Cadets is commendable. They essentially went back to the much-acclaimed Rookies and wrote backstories for all the redshirts. I love seeing underdogs developed -- it adds a ton to the story. It's also risky, since we already knew what would happen to the characters. But the episode successfully built off of that notion, and characters like the otherwise-forgettable Cutup suddenly became interesting individuals in their own right. What's great is you can go back to Rookies after this one and see the episode in a whole new light.

AkashKedavra_93

16. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    9. Barriss_Coffee: List your favorite visually appealing moments from TCW.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmm... this was a tough one. Sometimes I liked the general background of a planet (Alderaan or Mandalore), but didn't care for any specific scene in general.

Season 1:
    -Trespass's snow battle (for a season 1 episode, that was pretty neat)
    -when the heroes enter the creepy glass goth-ish building where Ventress is hiding in Hidden Enemy

Season 2:
    -Landing at Point Rain's final battle
    -that moment when Ahsoka and Plo Koon fly down to the Coruscant underworld in Lethal Trackdown

Season 3:
    -the Separatist capital city on Raxus in Heroes on Both Sides (so cool!)
    -most of everything on Dathomir -- Dathomir just looks fantastic in this show
    -Padawan Lost/Wookiee Hunt when they're traveling through the jungle

Season 4:
    -Mercy Mission, when 3PO and R2 go traveling underground
    -most of every scene on Umbara
    -when Savage flew down to Lotho Minor to find Maul in Brothers (or whatever scene it was that did a fly-through of the giant fire-breathers)

Season 5:
    -I sort of like how they animated that scene with the smoke in the Soft War

Visually this show is great, and I'm probably missing obvious scenes that I'm just not thinking of at the moment. I guess Mortis sort of deserves an honorable mention as well, but I can't think of a specific scene I was particularly wowed by.

AkashKedavra_93

18. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    10. Barriss_Coffee: What are your favorite films and where does SW fit in?

19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    AkashKedavra_93: SW in general (all 6 films combined), or should I divide them up?

20. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    AkashKedavra_93: In some semblance of order:

Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    Jurassic Park
    Lion King
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    A New Hope
    Contact
    Blade Runner
    Toy Story Trilogy
    Star Trek (2009)
    The Secret of NIMH
    Life is Beautiful (NOT It's a Wonderful Life)
    Gladiator
    Spirited Away
    Phantom of the Opera
    Amelie
    Most of Alfred Hitchcock's films
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    The Phantom Menace

Not sure if those last three really deserve to be up there, but I suppose they earn honorable mention since they had some sort of major influence on my life and got me stuck on this forum.:p

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Great list. Hitchcock is amazing. He had a great talent for finding the perfect actors to work with.

23. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    11. Barriss_Coffee: Which characters should have the most important roles with Ahsoka's fate?

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Poor Cary Grant. He really put that man through one hell of an acting career.:p

AkashKedavra_93: Ah.... Ahsoka's fate! I think I might be in the minority on the boards, because I honestly don't think a show that would market Ahsoka Halloween costumes to little girls would kill its main protagonist. But if the show ends, she'll undoubtedly have a fate one way or another, whether by death or not.

I think there are some obvious characters who would be involved in Ahsoka's fate: Rex for one (Filoni admitted as much at C6, although he gave no details), and Plo Koon of course. And Anakin. Possibly Lux, although I'm still not sure if the two of them make better friends than BF/GF. I think his fate lies elsewhere.

Aside from that, it's obvious Ahsoka's made a lot of friends on the show (Chuchi, Barriss, those kids in the Chewy episodes...), and I'd like to see them involved in her fate somehow, if only to give closure to those plots. Another thing I've noticed is that Aurra and Hondo keep popping into Ahsoka's life, and I wouldn't be surprised if one or either of them had a role in her final episode. I know that's what I would do if I had to write her ending.

25. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    12. Barriss_Coffee: Create 10 coffee drinks named after TCW characters.

Togruta, Seerow and Todd the Jedi like this.