main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion LACWAC Member Interviews (★☆★ SpecialOpsUnit & Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes ★☆★)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Seerow

Good question. If I had to choose one it would be Hollywood Undead. These guys have a way with words and I know many of their songs would make one think they could not do a theme for a SW-related product but there are songs like Glory andYoung sound epic and are perfect examples that they could do such a job. I can just see a Star Wars Theme exactly like Glory...

Every time I hear GLORY I think of how the clones/stormtroopers fight, suffer and die for the Republic/Empire.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I can go for some Hollywood Undead. Nice!

#6. How do you like to watch your movies and your TV shows? Do you have a cool mancave Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan?

3. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    #2: TaradosGon: Rank all the Star Wars films from best to worst.

4. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Seerow :p

Funny followup question there. Dan Grievous's mancave!? hmmmm...

I must say that comedies and new movies that come out on DVD/Bluray I love to watch with family or friends cause if there is something funny it is always better when you are not alone to enjoy them. Same with horror films.
    The same goes for some TV shows I adore like Modern Family, Futurama, 30Rock, Community, American Dad and How I met you mother.

While when it comes to movies/shows I alone would only love like The Clone Wars or Transformers Prime or Walking Dead, I watch by myself in what I would call "The Lair of Dan Grievous". In this room I make it feel like my own personal space (Separatist at work) so I could have the best accommodations for enjoying my personal favorite shows.
    I love to just turn on the big speakers, crank up some TCW in HD and sit back on my chair.

5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
  6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    AkashKedavra_93

My list is always changing, ask me at any given time what it is and films can be moved around in their placement quite a bit.

(Best)

1. A New Hope - And I fully admit that this is perhaps purely fueled by nostalgia. It just takes me back to *some* of my earliest memories (my first memory is actually of the Battle of Hoth) of the franchise and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I was a huge Star Wars nerd growing up, talked about it all the time with friends, played "Star Wars" (don't ask what the rules were or if there even were any, I don't remember), played the CCG like I said. And a big part of the enjoyment was simply how the films sparked my imagination and how I could immerse myself into that world. I didn't read the books, other than insisting that I borrow the Guide to Vehicles and Vessels from a friend. The EU meant nothing to me. Though I was heavy into that "third pillar"/"holy ghost" as Lucas calls it and would make up my own stories and ping-pong ideas back and forth off friends as to who these characters were, and what their back stories were. That's how characters like DS-61-3 or Boba Fett could be my favorite. Not because of what they were, but because of what I imagined them to be. No scene inspired my imagination more than the cantina scene and seeing all of those aliens and background characters and wondering/imagining what it would be like to be there, and "oh, I wish I could go talk to that guy," "what would it be like if he flew Luke and Obi-Wan instead of Han?" etc. Then there was that awesome attack on the Death Star, one of my favorite scenes not just of Star Wars, but from film in general.

2. Revenge of the Sith - Most all around fun movie, IMO. Best action sequences. Bittersweet completion to the saga. Palpatine's my favorite character and I felt like he stole the show. Can't really say much beyond that. I like what I like.

3. The Empire Strikes Back - At one point I would have said this is my favorite SW film. Though as I push nostalgia aside and look at it more critically, I can see just as many flaws as with the other films. Yes, it gave me my earliest SW memory (Battle of Hoth), I loved Yoda, the reveal that Luke and Vader were related was huge. But really the characters are fairly stagnant. In ANH, Han and Leia are constantly bickering. The only inclination that Han gives that he likes her seems to be an act just to get on Luke's nerves, just because Han sees that Luke is attracted to her. Come ESB, and they're still bickering, though Han is now acting like a child and trying to bait Leia into admitting that she has feelings for him, while giving no indication that he has them for her. She insults him, they go back to bickering at each other. Then while Leia is working on the ship, Han abruptly decides to switch strategies which just seemed completely out of character given his constant bickering with her up to that point and tries to act smooth and gets a kiss. And then from that point on they're just in love. She's kissing him on the cheek, she admits she loves him, and then much of the time in ROTJ is spent with her rescuing him in the beginning, and then Han constantly worried about her on Endor. And somewhere between the beginning of ESB and ROTJ, Luke just doesn't seem to care anymore. If I think of Han and Leia, the first image that comes to mind is when he's acting smooth and she calls him a scoundrel and they kiss. But when I step back and look at that scene, it comes out of nowhere and just sets up me pretty much not caring about them for the next movie since the fact that they now all of a sudden love each other seems to be at the forefront of everything and they neutered Han through a relationship that just felt unnatural. It's Han, Leia, and the others fleeing from the Imperials for most of the movie while Luke is a way on Dagobah, which I think dragged a little bit too long. Things pick back up on Bespin though. Luke, Yoda and Vader I feel ultimately carry the film, and it's the beginning and end that I feel really put this film where it is. The mix of nostalgia and just epic moments like Luke and Vader, and a memorable character like Yoda.

4. Return of the Jedi - I have a love hate thing with this movie. Loved Jabba's Palace, but then it went downhill from there. This film also would have been my favorite at one time, when I was younger. I loved the Ewoks, I loved Jabba's Palace, and I loved the Emperor. But now, while I still like Jabba's Palace, the ending has been retroactively altered IMO by the prequels, and the Ewoks just aren't as exciting at they once were. This film and AOTC are the only two SW films that I sometimes have to watch in shifts and can't get through the whole thing in a single sitting (usually occurs around the time that Luke and Leia get separated on Endor). This film has the best space battle IMO, but as I've gotten older, I have become way more critical of the fact that they built another Death Star, and they let the Rebels know the location of the shield generator... The first Death Star had a weakness.

Assuming that the Imperials would have remedied this with the second, then why not keep the location of the shield generator a secret? The Rebels would not attack, the Imperials would have completed it, and it would be invulnerable, then Palpatine wins. Or just not build a second Death Star... Seems like a second Dreadnought or more Star Destroyers would do the trick. Thinking back to the battle of Yavin IV, seems like that battle would have been in the bag had they just sent in a few Star Destroyers to bombard the base from orbit, and fighters to intercept and evacuating ships or attacking starfighters. When it comes to the ending, I loved it. But now with how much time it took for Palpatine to turn Anakin, it just seems folly for him to even try to turn Luke with the method that he did. He spent years on Anakin, and he tries to convert Luke with "hey, kill me and you'll be evil," "kill your father and you'll be evil," "kill in anger and you'll become addicted and there's no going back." With what I felt ROTJ was implying in that regard, I would think that Mace would then become evil had he killed Palpatine, or that Anakin should have pretty much have fallen after killing the tuskens or after killing Dooku. But the prequels showed that you can kill in anger and yet hold onto the good side. Just seems like Luke could have turned around, charged the Emperor and killed him with no ill effect.

5. The Phantom Menace - I really don't know why this film makes me feel nostalgic, it just does. The anticipation of seeing a new Star Wars film must have just made 1999 an especially good year or something. I thought the increased political nature of the plot hampered this film (the enemies are... a Trade Federation?) Jar Jar, Anakin, and wooden acting all brought this film down. As well as why Palpatine tried to get Padme to sign the treaty so obsessively, when her fleeing back to Coruscant and calling for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum worked out so well. Instead Maul reveals to the Jedi that the Sith are still around, and for 10 years the Jedi don't seem to care.

6. Attack of the Clones - IMO there is this weird thing going on in the prequels where TPM has the best dialogue, but most wooden, awkward acting. This then shifts toward ROTS which has the best acting, but a bunch of terrible, terrible lines. Attack of the Clones occupies the middle ground on both. Not great acting, not great dialogue. A slow plot where you really don't get to meet the villains until toward the end. A plot that leaves me scratching my head at times, the worst lightsaber fights, Anakin and Obi-Wan pretty much not friendly toward each other at all except at the very beginning. And while Han and Leia had an abrupt romance spark between the two of them that was perhaps just as unnatural and shallow as Anakin and Padme's, it was not the focus of scenes nearly as much as theirs was.

I mean, right from the beginning... Padme believes that Count Dooku is behind the assassination attempt on her to prevent her from voting against the Republic arming itself...? So Dooku wants the Republic to arm itself? Well, yes, Dooku does want that, because the war is staged and he's trying to play his part, but why does Padme immediately default to predicting that? Wouldn't a rival within the Republic that wants to see the Republic raise an army be more logical? From her point of view, why is the enemy trying to kill the person that is trying to see the Republic not form an army?

Moving on. We have a bounty hunter being hired by a bounty hunter to do the murder. Unless Jango was convinced that he would fail and was setting up a less skilled bounty hunter for failure, why didn't he just do it himself? Why is he getting paid for a mission, but then turning around and paying her? And if she's the one that's going to do it, why does Jango need to be there? He predicts she'll fail and then kill her when she's caught so that she can't rat him out? Seems like it's all an elaborate plan to get them to follow a trail to Kamino, but then he uses a Kamino dart that can't be traced via the Jedi archives? But fortunately Obi-Wan knows Dex. But then Kamino is deleted from the archive... Why? Why would leaving Kamino in the archive hurt anything? It's apparently not in the Republic, so the Jedi aren't just going to go there randomly. And apparently the gravity well is still represented in the archive, which raises an eyebrow when perhaps leaving the planet in there wouldn't. And apparently a kid can reason through this in two seconds while Obi-Wan can't?

So then Obi-Wan goes and meets the Kaminoans who say that Sifo-Dyas ordered the army. Obi-Wan suspects that not to be the case. Jango says that he has never even heard of Sifo-Dyas, which seems like it should be suspicious. Yoda warns Obi-Wan not to assume anything (including that there appeared not to be a motive). I would think that the bounty hunter serving as a template for a clone army for the Republic being hired to kill Padme who wishes to vote against an army is a pretty big motive. Someone wants the Republic to have an army, and wants to kill anyone that might get in the way. Can't be Sifo-Dyas though, because he's dead, unless they believed he gave Jango an advance on 10 years pay to kill anyone jeopardizing the clone army, but Jango says he doesn't know him... Jango then flees and goes running to Dooku... We find out that Dooku apparently hired Jango to kill Padme as a favor to Nute Gunray and apparently has nothing to do with the fact that Padme is voting against a Republic army or that said bounty hunter is its template.

Seem's like the Jedi should be meditating on that ball of wax.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Well Seerow, as much as I would love to visit planets like Cato-Neimoidia or Mygeeto, I would have to go with Mustafar. That is my favorite planet and ever since I saw it in ROTS I have been fascinated by it.
    I know it is a place as deadly as Tatooine or Hoth but there is something that is just so inviting IMO in Mustafar.
    I would love to visit all those interesting buildings in the background of the Anakin vs Obi-Wan duel, I would enjoy learning more about the Mustafarians and their culture, the planet is owned by the Techno Union so it is bound to be fun and in the EU it has been said that there are various Old Republic structures on it.
    One last thing - as dangerous as it is, the idea of lava surfing sounds awesome if you ask me!

8. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    #3: TaradosGon: What are your favorite films and where does SW fit into it as a whole?

9. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    AkashKedavra_93

My all time favorite it Jurassic Park. Has been since it came out, probably always will be.

Beyond that I've never really worked out a ranking.

-Jaws
    -Alien, Aliens, Alien 3
    -Signs
    -Star Trek: 2009, Star Trek: First Contact
    -Braveheart
    -Lion King
    -Kagemusha
    -Bubba Ho-Tep (about an elderly Elvis that has been secretly alive this whole time by switching places with an Elvis impersonator. He's in a retirement home with a black JFK. Together they fight a Mummy that is feeding on the retirees' souls).
    -Gladiator

Episodes III - VI I would rank collectively amongst these towards the top of my list.

Episode II would fall off the bottom, really only gets my attention if I want to be a completist and watch the whole saga.

10. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    #4: TaradosGon: Rank the top ten storylines in TCW (for example, Ryloth and/or the Domino Squad).

11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    1. Cade Bane's capture of the children for Darth Sidious and their rescue at the beginning of Season 2

2.The 501st and Krell

3. Mortis. Yeah, I like it.

4. The overarching tale of Domino Squad

5. Zillo Beast

6. Rako Hardeen

7. Ryloth

8. Slick's betrayal

9. Citadel

10. Malevolence

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  12. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    #5: TaradosGon: Which one word would you want to describe your legacy?

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Let me guess... you're maybe possibly Bulgarian? :p

(I love the diversity in this forum!!!)

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
  15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    AkashKedavra_93

There are too many "the Greats," "the Magnificents," etc. Charles the Bald was on the right track. Nobody's going to forget such a hairless legacy because it stands out.

I would think perhaps "Michael the Mediocre." People will look back and think, he wasn't bad, but he wasn't great either. Always left something to be desired and there was always room for improvement. They'll say, "I'm entirely indifferent to him." But at least I'll stick out and be remembered.

16. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    Nice one!

#6: TaradosGon: Rank the halves of the TCW seasons from best to worst. (Ex. 1st half of Season 1, 2nd half of Season 4, etc.)...

Options:

1. Season 1: "Ambush" --> "The Gungan General"
    2. Season 1: "Jedi Crash" --> "Hostage Crisis"
    3. Season 2: "Holocron Heist" --> "Lightsaber Lost"
    4. Season 2: "The Mandalore Plot" --> "Lethal Trackdown"
    5. Season 3: "Clone Cadets" --> "Pursuit of Peace"
    6. Season 3: "Nightsisters" --> "Wookiee Hunt"
    7. Season 4: "Water War" --> "Kidnapped"
    8. Season 4: "Slaves of the Republic" --> "Revenge"

17. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    A much more difficult question, because some of the halves have some of my favorite episodes and some of my least favorite, together.

Best

1. Season 3, 2nd half (pretty much consists of the Nightsister, Mortis, Citadel, and Trandoshan). I didn't dislike any of these.

2. Season 1, 1st half (I don't think there was a single episode in these first 11 that I disliked. Some were just OK, but I was surprised that I actually liked the show when it first aired.

3. Season 2, 1st half (wasn't really digging the whole brain invader thing, and Senate Spy made a convoluted mess out of where the commerce guilds sit in the political situation. Other than that, some great episodes).

4. Season 1, 2nd half (Some really good episodes like Ryloth and the finale, but the Shadow Virus arc was the first group of episodes I came across when watching the series that I really despised. The Lurmen episodes were just OK IMO.

5. Season 4, 1st half (Umbara makes me want to bump this half up, but the rest of the episodes ranged from OK to awful IMO. Putting it smack in the middle is the best I can do).

6. Season 2, 2nd half (REALLY dissatisfied with the Boba Fett episodes here, some good episodes like the Mandalore ones and the Zillo Beast, the rest were mediocre IMO)

7. Season 4, 2nd half (Aside from Brothers, there aren't any episodes I down right disliked, but none I really loved. It was decent, not great).

8. Season 3, 1st half (opened well, but then my God was that followed by garbage episodes).

Worst

18. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    #7: TaradosGon: Which episodes had the most surprised reactions from you, best and worst?

19. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Seerow

I must say as much as I find "Grievous speaks to Lord Sidious" and "Duel of the Fates" as absolute masterpieces. The one theme that inspires me the most... the music that makes me want to draw, edit videos, animate and overall just boosts my imagination is the variation of the Imperial March at the end of "Attack of the Clones" when we have Palpatine overlooking the Clone army and the ships fly off.
    I know it is just a different version of Vader's theme but personally I find this rendition much more inspiring for me than the original from "The Empire Strikes Back".
    I do not know what is it but it feels...well... inspiring!

2:40 to 3:38

20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I'd say Ambush got the best surprise from me in the sense of "hey, this show might actually be pretty good." I was tempted to go see the TCW film just because, hey, it's Star Wars. But with all the terrible reviews it was getting beyond "you're little kids will love it," I set myself up to think that this show would actually be pretty terrible and for little kids. Ambush surprised me in that regard. Thought that maybe the film was just rated too harshly, but then got around to seeing it... Nope... I thought it was indeed pretty awful.

The worst for me was Nomad Droids. I just could not believe that tale was occupying the same universe as any of the other Star Wars tales. Especially when it got to the Pit Droid Oz...

Monster also was a surprise. I read about the advanced screening and that Maul would show up in a crystal ball at the end. And I thought, "this has to be a prank, this sounds like the crappiest of fan-fictions" but in the end I actually enjoyed the arc, and actually didn't mind Savage. Now that Maul is back though, he's been made a little redundant. After being pleasantly surprised with that arc, I'm disappointed that it was pretty much undone by Brothers in delegating Savage to a mindless minion role.

As far as pleasant surprises that have nothing to do with thinking an episode would suck and being surprised that it didn't, I very much loved the Season 1 finale and was surprised with the ruthlessness and intensity that they gave Cade Bane. Very good episode IMO.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
  22. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    #8: TaradosGon: Which character has had the best development in your opinion?

23. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    AkashKedavra_93

I would say Fives, Rex, or Asajj have all seen a decent amount of development, but I would have to say Asajj if forced to whittle it down to one. We've seen her go from a Sith, to being hellbent on Revenge against Dooku, to allying with Talzin and "becoming a Nightsister," to now being on her own, showing sympathy to others despite her hardened facade, and showing us what a Force user can be when they are not following the rigorous religious teachings of some dogmatic Jedi or Sith Order. Her story is also pretty good about approximately picking up right where it was left off. With someone like Rex, something profound might happen to him, but then he might go back to work like normal for several episodes, before following up with him in some meaningful way later on, so there isn't the same kind of immediate flow.

24. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Seerow
    Not counting Obi-Wan. He is a lead character and he has lead character privileges. :p

Personally I think Ki-Adi Mundi got the best Order 66 scene. Why?!
    Couple of reasons:

- When we go to Mundi, the battle is still raging unlike the other several Jedi who were either just walking or just patrolling which is not that entertaining.
    - From all the planets in the Order 66 sequence, Mygeeto seemed like the harshest for a battle to be fought on.
    - His expression was so genuinely surprised. Aayla also looked kinda surprised but Ki-Adi sold the shock of betrayal.
    - If look and listen closely, there is something unique in his death scene. Except for clone blaster shots being seen and heard, we also see/hear droidekas and B2s firing their weapons. Poor Mundi was shot by both sides at the same time.
    - When he is dead, the average viewer of the SW saga knows this Jedi the most out of the sequence. Mundi was the only one on the council with a speaking role aside from Yoda and Mace.

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011