main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Lady Gaga's Transformation

Discussion in 'Community' started by AmidalaLover, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I've seen the Tony Bennett duet on PBS. They were fun together. Even if I'm not a fan, she's got range and I respect that.

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I too would love to see her water down this refreshing out-of-the-box character mashup that she's most known for! It would be more pleasant for me personally to listen to her music in a more cookie cutter, expected way. I can't be bothered to find another musician who already performs in that style - Gaga should cater to me and tone her **** down!

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Thought this was "Lady Gaga's Transformers." I would totally watch that.

4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    The transformation wouldn't be down to the fact ArtPop failed royally, her schtick wore thin, and people realised she doesn't actually write that many great songs, would it? Call me cynical but for someone who apparently pushes the boat so much artistically, besides paparazzi and maybe telephone, her catalogue is pretty much just contrived, lame, run of the mill pop songs. Lana del rey, to take one example, is far, far better.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Artpop is a ******* great album. The version I got has a DVD of an amazing concert at the iTunes festival in London. It's phenomenal. I just still find her incredibly charismatic and very talented. She's not my favorite artist ever or anything like that, but I love her a lot. I'm glad she's branching out a bit if only because it will make people who've always dismissed her as a weirdo realize that she's talented. I mean, she's had missteps, sure, but she's the real deal and I hope she's around for decades, doing whatever she wants to do, because it's going to be interesting and compelling.

But Lana Del Rey? Really? Make it easy on yourself and make the case for Lorde first.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Lorde is utter crap, Lana is unique.

epic likes this.
  7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't care for the Lady Gaga's eccentric nature, but she is clearly a capable singer.

Yeah, I don't care for Lana Del Rey or Lorde. I would take Adele over either of them, if only for Skyfall, since it is the only thing she as done that I believe fits her style.

8. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i haven't listened to ArtPop because i don't like Lady Gaga. but my point in relation to it was that it wasn't a big hit commercially. in fact her sales have dropped every album - 12m for the fame; 8m for born this way and not even 1m for artpop. hence this newfound 'transformation' - it's all about sales. and my theory is that remove all the craziness and you're not left with much actually in the way of solid songwriting. i mean, she's fine as just another pop starlet, but the way people go on about her make it seem like she's something beyond that, when she isn't, really.

and yeah, as SLG says, lana is way better than lorde. go watch the 10 minute version of ride, it's better than anything gaga has done, ever.

9. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I thought this thread was about Gaga finally transcending her human form and becoming one with the astral plane.

Very disappointing.

10. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'd settle for her doing a remake of "The Touch" .

Gamiel likes this.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow, I did not know Artpop tanked that badly. I don't pay much attention to the numbers side of things. But I think there's more to her than just the wildness. Dope is a solid example off of Artpop; it's just her and a piano and it's a really raw song and performance. I've always liked the acoustic versions of her songs that she's done and I think that songs like Bad Romance & Poker Face really stand up as great songs no matter how weird or normal she is. I mean, Bad Romance's video is one of the best music videos ever, but I also just love it as a song on its own.

Well, yeah, I mean, if we're going to bring Adele into this, she owns every other musical artist that's been mentioned in this thread.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    like she was ever that subversive or interesting. oh wow, a cocoon thing. a dress made out of meat. how "groundbreaking". way to "shake things up".

i mean that stuff did what it intended to, which was get her attention. it's just hard not to be cynical about it all.

epic likes this.
  13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The Kermit outfit was a trip, though.

[​IMG]

14. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Hey, I liked Artpop too, I think it's way better than Born This Way.

As for the weirdness and the giant egg and the meat dress, yes, it's too obvious it was all for attention. But, she's an entertainer and that stuff certainly entertains. Some people love it and some people hate it, but few just look at a meat dress and go "meh".

15. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    As usual, Dingo is correct.

Dingo likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Marina and the Diamonds is easily the best of the lot, though I adore Lana as well.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    PRIMADONNA GIRL

Now I have that song stuck in my head again. I really don't know why it's such a big deal, though.

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Buy it. I'm a fan of hers yet not a fan of those musical eras but many fans of that music have praised her work with Bennett. And it is surprisingly good.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You mentioned contrived and then mentioned Lana Del Rey. Those go together. Adele gets accolades because she sounds like a rehash. A talented singer of rehash, yes.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    All she ever wanted was the world though.

21. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I've been hesitant to buy it for the exact same reason, but I guess I'll end up getting it sometime soon.

ShaneP likes this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't really understand this criticism. Why does a public figure doing something in order to get attention translate as something we should be cynical about? You could say a musical artist only sings good songs to get attention or an actor only gives good performances to get attention or an author only writes good books to get attention. Artists do things to get attention; it's the nature of art.

And that Kermit dress is a work of art.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the kermit dress aside, my point was that the things about her that are supposedly provocative are actually just carefully crafted for shock value without ever really saying anything and have little to do with her actual art, which is her music. i guess you could say her image is part of that or that it is art in itself and that's fine. i just find it boring and empty.