main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lady Krynda's cause of death? Haazen or Padme Part II?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Carnage04, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I was thinking about this the other day for some reason and the KoToR comics are not really all that clear on how Krynda died. I see two possibilities....

The first would be that Haazen did something nefarious to get her out of his way....poisoning...some Sith Alchemy...some unknown force power...

The second would be that her suspicion that her Son and four favorite students cut down their apprentices in cold blood caused her to "lose the will to live" or something of the sort. It almost seems like that as she mentions that her health started to decline after her visions of the Padawan Massacre but it very well could have been that Haazen capitalized on that moment because she was disturbed and had left her guard down.

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I don't remember seeing any talk of this.

2. MasterGandalf

MasterGandalf Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2009
    I'm pretty sure she had a stroke after her vision of Lucien and the others killing the padawans. Haazen found her and put her in the oubliette, maintaining the illusion that she was still alive and running things. I doubt he did anything to kill her directly, as he seemed to still nurse some sort of feelings for her (and the fact that he put her in the oubliette at all- it may not be pleasant, but you don't use an oubliette on someone you want dead). It's also implied that the oubliette itself was somehow flawed, which is why Lucien accused Gryph of killing her (though that could just be Lucien being his usual deluded self).

In other words- Krynda was dying of a stroke brought on by a traumatic vision and Haazen used the oubliette to postpone the inevitable, nothing more.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Um, I thought it was spelled out in the text what happened? The night after Lucien called about the Rogue Moon vision she meditated, saw a vision of Lucien's Circle killing their Padawans, and she had a stroke, but Haazen couldn't have Krynda die yet, so he stuck her in an oubilette. She mentioned her headaches had been getting worse recently, and the shock of the vision might've just caused a stroke. She wasn't super old (since post-LotF, reaching 100 is supposed to be easy for GFFA humans, especially Force-sensitive ones), but she's had a busy life, so who knows.

If Krynda had died, probably most of her old students would've sensed her death, and without Krynda as his figurehead, the Covenant would've fallen apart. So Haazen stuck her in the oubilette when she was on the verge of dying from a stroke or something, and then after Gryph pulled her out, she died. Nothing quite as... hard to believe as a broken heart.

4. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Actually, Haazen keeping her alive seems a bit weird to me, too. Maybe some of the students would have felt her death but Q'Analia can "See Her but can't feel her." when Gryph arrives on the scene. With the Jedi in the NJO and on being able to sense each other across enormous distances (Sure, most of them are related and unusually strong) you would think that some of the Covenant Jedi could tell if they could no longer sense Krynda while they were in the building... Dead or just gone into stasis, her force imprint would have been cut off from everyone all the same.

5. MasterGandalf

MasterGandalf Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2009
    I'd always gotten the impression that Haazen still nursed some affection- deeper than lust but creepier than love- for Krynda somewhere inside of himself. Note the one bit in his flashback montage where he's talking to her and is almost recognizable as the person he was before jealousy ate completely away at his life. If that was the case, then killing her himself (or allowing her to die when he could prevent it) may well have been the one act of evil that remained beyond him to commit.

A less charitable interpretation would be that all of Krynda's close associates would sense something as dramatic as her death in a very vivid way, while stasis wouldn't send out that kind of shockwave. In that case, keeping her from dying is in Haazen's best interest, as in her absence he'd probably have to blow his cover to maintain control over the Covenant.

A third option is that upon seeing her dying he just panicked and did the first thing that came to mind. I consider this the least likely, because it doesn't fit with Haazen the cold-blooded schemer we see elsewhere, but as this is someone whose life has been twined with his for decades it's within the realm of possibility.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wouldn't call it affection so much as obsession. True, we saw him make one last sorta pathetic attempt to woo Krynda in that flashback during Vindication, but she just completely ignored him, as she usually did (not that that justifies Haazen's actions in any way, just that Krynda was far from perfect too). And I thought that flashback was from several years in the past, as I think it mentioned Lucien's Circle having just arrived on Taris (or something like that), but in the present, Haazen's plans were close to fruition (he could control the navy, and he probably had nearly enough Sith artifacts).

Based on the comic, putting someone into stasis probably wouldn't cause a huge ripple in the Force. If she died, that would probably be felt by most or all of Krynda's students, which would upset Haazen's plans. But just disappearing probably wouldn't cause as much of a... disturbance as dying would've. It could be argued her disappearing from the Force could raise concerns too, and maybe it did, but Haazen was able to deflect any and all inquiries, like how he kept Lucien from seeing his mother. He could always trot out the "she's deep in meditation, that's why you can't sense her" excuse, and he did at least once or twice. Although Q'anilia isn't really the best judge either, as she's blind, but can "see" things with the Force, but if Krynda was merely in stasis, Q'anilia couldn't tell (and thus, she committed suicide).

7. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    A wizard did it. Next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.