main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Lady Luck and Other Dangerous Women - Han and Chewie, First Sentence Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Lady Luck and Other Dangerous Women
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Han and Chewbacca
    Timeframe: ANH
    Summary: Despite his own good sense, Han Solo returns to the fight.
    Notes: Written for the New First Sentence Challenge.

Lady Luck and Other Dangerous Women

The best time for luck to show up is when all hope is lost.

As a gambler and a smuggler, he knew a lot about luck. He had lived by Lady Luck?s fickle mercy ? and almost died at her whim a few times as well. He was used to depending on luck to survive.

This, however, was pushing way beyond luck and heading straight into idiocy.

His luck just might hold. Maybe. There was a slim chance. In hell, he thought grimly. It was certainly true that there wasn?t much hope in what he was about to do. But maybe ? just maybe ? luck would give him a break simply because he needed one so badly.

Of course, it doesn?t usually work that way, Han admitted as he continued to argue with himself. Going back to the Death Star was the supreme act of stupidity. It was reckless and useless and completely hopeless.

So why was he doing it?

Even as he sighed and set his course, Han Solo called himself every insulting name he could think of, even creating a few of his own. What he was about to do would almost surely get him killed ? and he?d take Chewie along with him.

Yet, there he was, setting the Falcon?s course straight for disaster. What had possessed him to develop a conscience this late in the game?

Luke Skywalker ? and something about that name tugged at Han?s memory, a dim and distant one to be sure ? had somehow infected Han, the consummate smuggler, with the disease of caring.

Caring was dangerous. It cost you; it even killed you. He had seen enough of the galaxy to know that. Glancing at Chewie, who chuffed once with something that sounded strangely like approval, Han shook his head at his own foolishness and kept heading for his own destruction.

?You say the word, and we put a stop to this insanity,? Han muttered as they slipped out of hyperspace. He was almost hoping that Chewie would save him from himself. Far beyond, set like a skull against the black of space, he saw the giant space station where he had already almost died once. The Wookiee remained frustratingly silent.

Insanity, he thought, pure and simple.

Except nothing was so simple anymore, he acknowledged. If he didn?t take the risk, if he didn?t finally step into something that was by no means his business, a lot of good people were going to die.

The princess among them.

With a slight groan, he clenched his teeth. The damned princess ? trouble walking on two very shapely legs (he had gotten a good peek in the compacter) and certainly beyond the touch of a man like Han Solo. She was dangerous and he knew it. Still, those dark eyes made a man want to stop for a moment and get lost there, and he was a man who thrived on risk.

And what a mouth, he thought, unaware of the grin that stretched his own lips. She was the type who would never back down, and suddenly he wished he could have seen her face Tarkin. He could imagine her snapping and snarling at the Moff, not giving a damn that she was about to die. Luke had gotten the story out of her, his big, innocent blue eyes focused on her like she was a sun going supernova. Han had just sat there and listened, fighting the urge to hug her tight.

Men like Han Solo did not embrace a princess.

/Well?/ Chewie rumbled. Dragged from his confused thoughts, Han turned and got a look at the Wookiee?s face. It was clear that Chewie was spoiling for a fight, even one as unfair and one-sided as this one. /Are we gonna sit here or go in and do something?/

?Don?t get your fur in a wad,? Han grumbled. ?I?m thinking.?

/There?s a first time for everything, I guess,/ Chewie quipped, leaning on one massive arm and blinking at him.

?Ha, ha,? the smuggler returned. Then his amusement

2. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    When he was sure that Chewie?s attention was elsewhere, Han allowed himself a little grin. The princess would most assuredly be grateful. And he?d be gentleman enough to let her express it.

[face_laugh] Pure Han! =D=

3. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    With a slight groan, he clenched his teeth. The damned princess ? trouble walking on two very shapely legs (he had gotten a good peek in the compacter) - Han, Han! [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] - Even about to get smooshed flat by steel walls, he checks her out! [face_laugh]

4. Teresa

Teresa Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2007
    Ahhhhh!!!!!! Yep, that's Han and Chewie: two of the best! Chuckle, if Han could have looked ahead and seen where his connection with Luke, Leia, and the Rebellion would lead him he might have made a few more wisecracks but he would have still been there for them all. In a way, Han and Chewie remind me of another pair, one with a fairly unflappable side and the other somewhat wild..... and it looks as though Han remembers that pilot as well! As for Han's connection to dangerous women, he should be used to that by now! Of course, Leia will outdo all of them......snickering. My thanks for the vignette! :D =D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    That was fun to read, Just like Han and Chewie would talk to each other.[face_laugh][face_laugh]

6. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    When he was sure that Chewie?s attention was elsewhere, Han allowed himself a little grin. The princess would most assuredly be grateful. And he?d be gentleman enough to let her express it.

Then his smile faded.

Luke would be down there. Luke who had pulled the trigger on the kill shot. Luke?who was, against all odds, his friend.

The grin returned.

It was good enough.

For now.

Totally loved this!![face_love] So Han! Just awesome! I'd say more, but I must get back to studying. :-B :D
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

EDIT: I'm done studying. ;)

Yet, there he was, setting the Falcon?s course straight for disaster. What had possessed him to develop a conscience this late in the game?

Luke Skywalker ? and something about that name tugged at Han?s memory, a dim and distant one to be sure ? had somehow infected Han, the consummate smuggler, with the disease of caring.

[face_love] Loved this!![face_dancing] I too especially liked the "disease of caring" part.

It was Luke. The gods watched out for fools and children, Han thought, and Luke was both.
    Really liked this too! ;)

Alright, enough of me. :p Thanks for this really wonderful story!! [:D]

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I loved that!

Han's thoughts were so perfectly in character for him and I loved the banter between him and Chewbacca.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Now that's the Han we know and love! :D

Just perfect, K! =D=

9. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    /I?ll bet the princess will be grateful,/ Chewie chuffed softly.

?Shut up.?

/I?m just saying?./

Got it in one, Chewie!!! Of course Han would be gentleman enough to let Leia express her gratitude; what he had in mind, though, is anyone's guess!

Leave it to Han to notice Leia's legs in the garbage compactor! He's such a rogue...

10. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Great viggie! :D You really got into Han's psyche.

11. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    had somehow infected Han, the consummate smuggler, with the disease of caring.

I just love that phrase "the disease of caring". My thoughts kept jumping back to that line.

"Don?t get your fur in a wad," Han grumbled. "I?m thinking."

/There?s a first time for everything, I guess,/ Chewie quipped, leaning on one massive arm and blinking at him.

"Ha, ha," the smuggler returned.

[face_laugh] Great job showing Han and Chewie as the close friends they are. Their relationship is sadly unexplored, but I enjoyed the spotlight you gave it here.

The gods watched out for fools and children, Han thought, and Luke was both.

Heh heh. Nice. ;)

Fantastic work as always! =D=

12. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Wow! This was totally awesome!=D=

So cynical, so Han.

?Don?t get your fur in a wad,? Han grumbled. ?I?m thinking.?
    ?Ha, ha,? the smuggler returned. Then his amusement faded. ?You sure about this?? He owed it to Chewie to give the Wookiee the right to back out of this.
    /I?m not sure about much,/ Chewie admitted. /But I think we both know you?ve gotta do this./

Chewie rocks!

Was he actually ready to throw his own life away on the off chance he would make a difference?
    As much as it appalled him, Han admitted that he was.
    Well damn.
    Who would have thought such a terrible day would come to pass?
    He looked at Chewie, whose own eyes were calm and prepared. ?All right then, let?s crash this party!?

Uh-oh. I think there might be a "nice man" inside that smuggler.:eek:

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Golden_Jedi And yet we still love him! :p

PonyTricks He's male, isn't he? o_O

Teresa Glad you liked it! :)

earlybird-obi-wan Thanks! :D

dancing_star Thanks so much for reading! [:D]

KELIA Those two are a hoot! :D

Gina Miss you G! :(

dm1 He's male and he still had a pulse, so anyone is still fair game! ;)

Jaina_and_Jag He's a great character to write! :D

The_Face Thanks!

Blue_Milkshake [face_shhh] Don't tell!

14. Astarel_Undomiel

Astarel_Undomiel Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    Ahh, this is brilliant! Wonderful insight into Han in one of his best moments. Seeing him come back to fight is one of my favourite parts of ANH. [face_love]

It was Luke. The gods watched out for fools and children, Han thought, and Luke was both.

This strikes me as a very powerful line. Love it!

=D==D=

15. IrishRover

IrishRover Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2009
    This is a nice snapshot of one great moment. (And I'm showing my age by saying that I saw the movie on opening night on the big screen...)

16. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ahhh! Loved Chewie in this one! Girl you should do more with Chewie :D =D= Loved it!

LOL on the sense of humor, poor Han ;) hehe

17. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    What an awesome vignette! =D= You really captured Han here, and I love his interaction with Chewie.

18. darthvecron

darthvecron Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2007
    I must agree with those above, you captured Chewie and Han wonderfully. I loved the humor, and I loved the little glimpse into that space of time when Han falls off the map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.