main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lady Luminya

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Domenic, Nov 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    well, if they leave out the n, they will spell it correctly, :D.

2. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    So, in what book/comic/thingie does this whole Luke, Lumiya, shot down stuff happen?

3. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I think the Lumiya-Nom Anor thing is interesting speculation because there's a mutual short-term goal in destroying the (corrupt/inept) Imperial Leaders from within.

However, I think the Lumiya/Sith-Yuuzhan Vong alliance speculation is too farfetched because I think the Yuuzhan Vong belief system is just too contradictory to the belief system regarding the Force, (Sith or otherwise), (i.e., death vs life).

I'm more inclined to believe that any alliance with the Yuuzhan Vong is likely to end in betrayal to the non-YV party - and hence - I can't fathom "why" Lumiya would enter such a pack. This is a line of speculation that boggles my mind. From a Yuuzhan Vong perspective, sure - play the players on the field against each other - after all, these sentients are all infidels; but from the Lumiya perspective - it makes no sense to me because she will ultimately lose by conceding too much power to the Yuuzhan Vong - where would Lumiya's help to defeat the Yuuzhan Vong come from??? "If" Lumiya has taken on a Sith Master (i.e., a la Palpatine) position, then would the Force "direct" her to make a pact with the Yuuzhan Vong OR would the Force lead her away from that pact?

Plus, I would "assume" that Nom Anor's "blank presence" in the Force would raise Lumiya's concerns about trusting this "creature" and his brethren, (i.e., Nom Anor can't be read through the Force). This Lumiya-Yuuzhan Vong alliance speculation is just too iffy a pact to me to be plausible because for Lumiya, the risk of loss heavily outweighs the benefit of gain(s).

As a MINOR example, Lomi Plo and Welk - who are NOT Sith - haven't exactly been greeted with a warm embrace by the Yuuzhan Vong.

4. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually it's not speculation but conjecture based on quotes said in Gamer #5. I.E. Carnor Jax, Lumiya's Apprentice was making deals with nom anor, in which he had intentions to ally his order of sith with the vong. Hinted that lumiya was behind the scenes instrumenting the meetings.

Considering that things written down in hardtype in the EU aren't speculation but EU facts. But you already know that.

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    In my RPG actually we have the Sith/Vong alliance actually working...here's what happened..

Darth Lumiya is completely insane and wants revenge on the galaxy and Luke Skywalker in particular.

Having sealed her pact with the Yzzumng Vong she and her apprentice (in this game the son of the player's Jedi Master) have been manipulating events for 14 years to place their inept, corrupt, and corpulant pawns in control of the Galaxy's Senate.

Supporting de-armamentization and similar measures the galaxy is taken by storm by the Yzzumng Vong and with complete surprise.

Supporting the Vong's hatred she intended to use them to foster hat against the Jedi to strip away her rivals for power and more personally watch Luke Skywalker's family and friends and dream of a reborn Jedi Order die.

When the galaxy is reduced to rubble Darth Lumiya (who in my game has a legion of former Imperial geniuses) is going to release a nanogen plague throughout the Vong fleet.

In the greatest moment of their triumph the Vong will die (why their ships are dying in my game) and then Lumiya will kill Luke Skywalker. The Empire already ready to follow her she will emerge as Emperess and offer the metholodgy/stability to rebuild...and rule the galaxy.

Just one way of showing how Luminya would triumph.

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Lumiya, not luminya. It's Lumiya there is no N in Lumiya.

7. Terranix

Nov 6, 2001
    Hey, he might make typos, like 95% of people on the boards, but maybe his joints are sore... ;)

Kiddin'. The mistake does appear to have been repated. Over & over & over...

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    How do you know it's a her. Though I understand typo's 95% of us make them, :D. But over and over, LOL.

9. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    I bet you would really hate it if someone spelled it Luminia, I actually saw that once in an EU thread.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Lol, yep that's pretty bad. About as bad as people spelling as Ulic as Ulic Quel Drommal.

11. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    I agree that Lumiya wouldn't make a pact with a faction unless she was certain that she would have the upper hand in the end.

She seems the type to always have a trick up her cyborg sleeve. . . . except, however, when Luke constructed a light dagger to defeat her Sith Whip weapon!

12. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Valiento,

1) As an aside regarding SWEU continuity, and not necessarily regarding our discussion here, but even when in print, there's often wiggle room for other reasonable continuity takes in the SWEU.

By at least one recent admission here by Halagad, that "wiggle room" can be intentional.

2) But back to our discussion, from an analytical point of view regarding Lumiya, I think I understand what you're saying.

However, from just a reader/writer point of view, you lost me on the difference between conjecture and speculation. How do these two words differ in your approach to continuity analysis?

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I though that Lumiya was the Sith apprentice of Vader, and that the Emperor was training her as a Hand.

TC.

14. Domenic

Domenic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2001
    LOL, I love it when threads mutate into totally unrelated topics :) (that is, the Site/Vong Alliance)

Anyway I can persuade one of you to give me a chronological sequence of events which Lumiya was involved in?

Thanks guys...

15. Terranix

Nov 6, 2001
    To clarify, do we actually SEE Nom Anor in Crimson Empire II? That'd be cool...

& in exactly what comics/novellas/thingies do we see Lumiya?
    Getting shot down, using a Sith whip weapon(Which I'm betting my left ear is a lightsaber type thing which's blade acts like a whip. Stolen from Starchaser: The Legend of Orin. Tut tut...).

16. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    Yeah you see Nom Anor, not his face of course.

Lumiya was in the old Marvel comics Star Wars series. I think Dark Horse is re-releasing old Marvel Comics.

17. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    The sith weapon appeared in the last few issues of the Marvel series. I don't know the exact issue number, but check the last 15 issues or so.

I believe that the whip combined a lightsaber type weapon with a solid whip weapon. At first, Lumiya was able to overcome Luke with the whip. the "lightsaber" portion tore luke's lightsaber out of his hand. Luke later learned that he needed 2 weapons to combat the two elements of the whip, so he constructed a light dagger . . . using both the light dagger and saber he was able to defeat Lumiya, capture her, and learn her true identity . . . which shocked the crap out of Star Wars comics fans back in 1985!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.