main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq LadyNaberrie got her first car!!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by LadyNaberrie, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    My first car was a 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback GT 390....way to much power for a 16 yr old. I have never gotten a speeding ticket even to this day! That car nickle and dimed me to death...wish I still had it!

2. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    Mine was an 89 mustang. Not the greatest car but it got me to hockey practice, and school.

3. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    Jango_Junkie: What car, in your guys opinion, would be best for me? I want great miles per gallon and power!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrotherHalo: Ummmm, no such thing?

You can't get both, dude.

getting the power from a car with good MPG is all about how you drive it. (If I can outrace a ford mustang in a toyota camry anyone can get power out of a good car. Yes, i actually did this once and only once. I think it was a total fluke but man was it fun.) But with a little love and a lot of skill you can get power out of a good car. But then again you run the risk of having to buy a new clutch more often the you probably need to...

But you might want to check out the Scion cars. They are really cool little cars and decent car milege and great rides as well as a good price. And with a toyota engine you can't go wrong. They get good milege, last forever and get pretty decent power.

Another one you might want to check, though more mulla, is Suburu.

4. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    If your willing to spend the money you can increase your power and economy with a turbocharger.

5. jango_junkie

jango_junkie Jedi Master star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks guys, I get it now. Being half asleep while writing this, I forgot the other factors (AC, Load, Speed, etc) I am going to UNM so throw all things at me I guess.

6. obi-chris-kenobi

obi-chris-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    The first car that was actually mine was a 1977 Cosworth Vega. I still have it in my brother's garage. Chevy had a great idea, put a Cosworth powerplant in a street car. The bad thing was they used a vega to put it in. Still, it's my favorite car i've ever owned.

7. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Those Vega's rocked...I had a friend who had one and that little orange beast was fast!

8. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    Chris' Vega is bad ace! I remember riding around in it listening to Rush 2112! Those were the good ol' days.

9. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Mmmmmm Rush'es "2112"! Do not forget REO Speedwagons "You can tune a piano, But you can't Tuna Fish"

10. Redgek

Redgek Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 1999
    My first car was a 1979 Olds Delta 88. Looked like crap but ran smooth as silk.

If I could afford any daily driver, it would be the Accord Hybrid. 255 horses and mpg at 37/29. That's power AND fuel efficiency, but you're paying over $30K new.

As for a Camry outrunning a 'Stang, it's not inconceivable, depending on the year:

4-banger Camry - 160 horses
    V-6 Camry - 210/225 horses
    V-6 Mustang - 145 horses (early 90's)
    V-6 Mustang - 190 horses (late 90's, early 00's)
    V-6 Mustang - 210 horses (current)

I'm guessing the Camry is lighter, so anything's possible under the right conditions.

...unless we're talking about any Camry vs any 8 cyl 'Stang, in which case I would have to raise the BS flag. :D

11. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    nah it was a piece of crud I am thinking... the guy had a pretty canister but it was empty. The camry was a V6 and his mustang was a 4 early 90s. Alot of it was using drag racing tricks my dad taught me while I was learning the stick shift - the most important, having a good driver in the passenger seat who shifts when you tell them to.

12. Redgek

Sep 26, 1999
    No kidding...this happened today. Minding my own business coming home on Paseo and POW!!! The right front tire blows out!!! I immediately exclaim "GAWDDAAAMM!," not unlike Rick James being smacked silly by Charlie Murphy at the China Club.

Here's a pic...

:oops:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/Redgek/SSBlowout.jpg]

13. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    OUCH man. Hopefully nothing else got damaged...

14. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    dang! glad you are okay that coulda been nasty...

by the way, jango junkie when looking for cars make sure the tires are not something that have to be "special". Need to get new tires on my car and they are going to cost around 350 - 600 bucks for all 4 of them... and here i thought i could just go to discount tire and get a new set for 100.

15. jango_junkie

jango_junkie Jedi Master star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks, I won't go car hunting probably until towards the end or after college. Until then, I use my mom's exploror. She don't mind either.

16. Bloodclaw65

Bloodclaw65 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Wow that looks like a pucker factor about -2.I am glad everone is ok.

17. karenec1

karenec1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    Wow, I am glad that everyone is OK. That could have been super nasty.

18. Redgek

Sep 26, 1999
    Thanks guys. Sometimes bad things happen to good people, and sometimes they happen to @holes like me who deserve it. [face_skull]

Luckily, I was the only one in the car and it was steady until I could get to the shoulder.

Damn, I wasn't even driving crazy or nuthin! Sonuva...

19. FlirtationOfficer

FlirtationOfficer Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2005
  20. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    That really sucks, Scott!

21. skyra

skyra Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2001
    Scott, glad to hear you are okay. Blowing out a tire has to be tops on my list of things I don't want to experience in my life. I mean I have had tires go flat while I'm driving, but not serious blow-outs like you had.

22. Salvan

Salvan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2004
    Blowouts are the scariest thing to experience. I was driving down I-25 going about 80 coming from Socorro when I had a bad one. Thank God I was able to survive but I almost took out a semi or at least hit the semi. The driver was a good guy that was paying attention because he was able to hit his breaks and swerve onto the shoulder. I even had a rollover where I totaled a truck and that was not nearly as scary as the blowout. Perhaps cause the rolloever happened so quick I couldnt do anything but blowouts man if your not able to bring it under control your gonezo!

23. Bloodclaw65

Bloodclaw65 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Man that is crazy. I travel alot windshield time had many blow outs the key stay of the brakes and not panic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.