main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LAJ_Fett's Question and Answer Thread V. 2.0

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Mara_Jade_Fan, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Who's the Bossk

Who's the Bossk Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2013
    oh ...whosthebossk

2. Who's the Bossk

Feb 25, 2013
    oh...whosthebossk

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    OK - there are two user ids with the same email address and one is banned. Do you remember having another ID many years ago?

4. Who's the Bossk

Feb 25, 2013
    Nope. that was my only user. I just would like to have my old email back and not be banned. Or should I just keep this new user (which was my old anyway) and password (which was my old anyway). I just want it to say member since April '02

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    i just checked and it looks like member date isn't a field we can update. I can try tossing a '.' into the email address on the banned id to see if that makes it different enough to allow you to log in with the old id if you want.

6. Who's the Bossk

Feb 25, 2013
  7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    OK - see if you can log into the old account now.

8. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Awesome! thank you! So I'll delete the other one then or can you?

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We prefer not to delete IDs. If you're concerned about it I can permaban the ID and put a note in that it was at your request, not because of something bad.

10. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Ok, that'll work, thanks. I'll just keep using my old one.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    OK, that's done. If you want to use the other ID you can submit an unban request or PM one of us to free it.

12. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm sure this has been asked already, but are the only good sites the list the prices for various SW memoribilia. I'm trying to sell all my old stuff, but I'd like to know how much the stuff is worth, so I don't get ripped off.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    What we normally suggest is to search eBay for recent closed auctions on the same item to get an idea of the market. I have collecting books, but the newest one is 2005 so it's rather old. Another thing we suggest is that if you have a large amount of items to sell, break the large amount into smaller groups. Maybe group them by character or release line or film. Someone who only collects Luke figures isn't going to bid on an auction containing stuff he/she doesn't want. We don't allow advertising here but the forums on our sister site Rebelscum have a classified section. You might check that out as well. You have to register to post but it's free.

kubricklynch likes this.
  14. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    How do you guys open the sealed moulded clear plastic style packaging?

I've got a few McFarlane NFL figures for display (nothing rare or valuable) and I've always cut them as carefully as possible with a sharp kitchen knife with mixed success, some slices I've been happy with, others I think I've completely knackered (UK slang: ruined) the packaging.

I'm just embarking on collecting the Star Wars:Clone Wars micro animated series collection and have started off with a couple of the Walmart 3 packs. These arrived today and it looks like I can easily/neatly slice the sellotape seals and slide out the clear plastic insert and remove the figures for display. Similarly if I get hold of the Sith Attack and Jedi Force 3 packs I can do the same. The remaining 8 figures in the collection look like they are all in those McFarlane NFL style sealed plastic jobbies rather than traditional/vintage bubble on card? Would you leave them figures in the packaging, if you can't get them out "nicely".

Thanks in advance.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I tend to not worry about keeping the packaging nice if I decide to display a regular figure. I do keep packaging for stuff like Kotobukiya figures, maquettes, and statues if only so I have something to pack them in if I have to (like for reselling or for a move).

16. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Thanks LAJ_FETT I don't intend to resell these so I suppose I shouldn't worry but I'm a bit anal about keeping things in as good condition as possible.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, once you've opened them you really can't describe them as carded so unless you have a reason for saving the packaging I'd toss it (for basic figures, anyway). If you're worried about keeping them in decent condition, don't expose them to sun, heat, cigarette smoke, or major dampness (like in a basement).

18. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Can anybody explain me what these Topps things with original artwork popping up on eBay are? I'm not familiar with what Topps is, what they do and what this is at all.

Thank you. :)

19. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Ewok Poet Topps makes trading cards that are the same size as baseball cards. You buy packs to get whole sets. Original art cards, autograph cards, hologram cards, etc are considered to be "chase" cards. They get placed randomly in packs. You have to buy a lot of packs to get any. Particularly autograph and art cards are very HTF, hence why they command high prices on the secondary market. If you buy a whole set of cards online, the set likely won't have any chase cards unless they say that they're including them.

Trading cards for the Star Wars universe have been around since 1977. When the franchise got relaunched for merchandising in the 90's cards came back in various forms and have been around ever since. Here's a list of most of the different sets that have come out over the years.

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I assumed it would be related to baseball cards (which never got off for whatever other sports they tried to make them for here), but those super-expensive artist sketches from this year's sets confused me. And the idea of paying 100 bucks for a bag of unknown content is pretty bizarre, too.

You're very helpful, by the way. :) In terms of collecting, I'm a complete n00b and it doesn't help that I seem to be having an unique interest I'm primarly after.

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Well thank you, I worry sometimes that I come across as an insufferable know-it-all :( I've been collecting since the beginning and have a vast collection of all sorts of junk, so some areas I'm very well versed in, others not so much, but I might have a passing knowledge about them. I spent many years growing up pouring over my price guides and familiarized myself w/ all sorts of stuff.

I'd be very excited to see where your animated ewoks collection is going. I only have a very few items from that line. I always thought they were really cute :)

Re: Trading cards - yeahhhh buying cards is fun, particularly when they throw in chase cards. You really never know what the hell you're going to get. Worst feeling of all is buying a whole box, ripping open everything, not getting very many chase cards, then find that you're missing a couple of cards so your set isn't even complete....grrrr!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Maybe that has got something to do with the current trends in internet culture, where, like in a fictional high school, we all have to be rude, careless or whatever? I see it the other way round. As somebody who is a human databank for some other community, I have high expectations wherever I go, always hoping to find somebody as dedicated, who will outline the basics for others and make sure they don't wander around in dark...preferably somebody who will go out of their way to make sure people get what they need. So, by all means - correct me, teach me, feed me information and whatever else you can think of - you're a data-maniac's data maniac dream. :)

(The above is also a warning for everybody who could get pissed off once I ask them to explain me how those role playing games and collectible card games work, as I never understood that stuff, for the life of me!)

Why are they called chase cards? Because one has to chase after them, or...?

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Can anybody refer me to a definite and accurate glossary of terms such as unpunched, MOC, COO etc? I keep on seeing varying definitions and it makes me want to poke arrogant rogues, tee-hee.

Oops, getting in character a bit too much, as such.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You could try here. Seems to be a pretty good list.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you - I never thought unpunched would mean what it means!