main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lame Lineup...questioning if I should go or not...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by buntcake, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    craigrr: I totally agree. Those guys like Richard LeParmentier and Garrik Hagon are awesome! That's what fun about lesser known actors,there's not as much demand for their autographs,so sometimes you can have more time to talk to them and stuff. :)

2. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    At AlphaCon, you could just hang out at their tables and chat & stuff. Every now & then Mike Edmonds would break into song for no reason other than to do it. Warwick Davis, Michael Sheard, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, Femi Taylor, Mercedes Ngoh, Shannon McRandle, Michonne (not even gonna try the last name) were all there too. I met all of them. They were great. The last day of the con Michael Sheard got on the PA and thanked Omaha for inviting him and said he hoped he was invited back if they ever do another one. Just because there isn't a big name, doesn't mean there won't be big fun.

3. buntcake

buntcake Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2005
    Actually the reason I haven't replied is because I like seeing all the different opinions of people come in, and the fact that I have a very busy job (one that requires an MBA, just like most of us here) and I don't have time to troll the message boards all day long.

If I wanted to hang with my friends for a week, I would have rather gone to Vegas than.....INDIA-FREAKIN-NAPOLIS. I mean, beyond walking around and talking to people, staring at overpriced baubles, watching bit players sign autographs that won't be worth jack in the future...what else is there to do? I just though it would have been cool to meet Luke Skywalker himself, that's all. My rant is the fact that you couldn't get Mark Hammil to do the "supposedly" penultimate Star Wars event when you knew about it for 3 years??? Come on, you can't defend that. I'm sorry, you just can't. The entertainment business works at the speed of light, most people in the industry don't know where there next job is six months down the line. So as to the argument that thier schedule was filled up 3 years in advance is about as hard to swallow as a bottle of rancid Tequila....with the worm.

And for the people who say I should lighten up....whatever. I'm a consumer, I paid, I have a right to be upset when the product doesn't turn out the way it should have. In other words...Bite me.

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    buntcake posted on 3/10/05 3:27pm

If I wanted to hang with my friends for a week, I would have rather gone to Vegas than.....INDIA-FREAKIN-NAPOLIS. [/b][hr][/blockquote]

*snip*

Then you should.

[blockquote]And for the people who say I should lighten up....whatever. I'm a consumer, I paid, I have a right to be upset when the product doesn't turn out the way it should have. [hr][/blockquote]

When you [i]paid[/i], there was the promise of a 4 day Star Wars convention in Indianapolis with [i]Guests[/i]... no mention of specific people. No one promised you that Mark or Carrie would be there to sign your 'overpriced bauble'.

[blockquote][hr] In other words...Bite me.[hr] [/blockquote]

How about this.

Go see the doctor as you obviously have a bad case of [i]cranial- rectal inversion...[/i]

5. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    "My rant is the fact that you couldn't get Mark Hammil to do the "supposedly" penultimate Star Wars event when you knew about it for 3 years???"

Maybe Mark Hammil and others like him don't want to go to events like this. Maybe the big names are tired of dealing with demanding disrespecting "fans" that have little or no compassion for them?

Ever think of THAT?

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Cool it now. If you have problems with the lineup thats one thing, but don't start bashing the convention, the center and the big stars. Ford doesn't really like SW too much. Portman doesn't like crowds. Hamill has gone to plenty of conventions before, perhaps he's just tired of them. Gen-Con never said that the big stars were coming. You just presumed as much. And thats just the autograph list, you never know they could be there as specators, instead of participants. You and I both don't know.

In the meantime, I'd highly suggest calming down. ALL OF YOU.

7. VaderFanForever

VaderFanForever Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    I think buntcake needs to be blocked form this forum. He has insulted too many people in here...the fans, the actors, Gencon...too many. I hope the MOD sees this and takes care of it. I know that we have a right to speak our minds, but this guy has gone too far!! Help me MOD, you're my only hope...

8. Darth_Bootsy

Darth_Bootsy Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2004
    If there is one thing I want to do involving a celebrity, it is to shake Peter Mayhew's hand.

It is all subjective here. I would not be that excited to meet Carrie Fisher or Mark Hamill. So they are "the twins." Big deal. Different characters and actors effect us in different ways. As a big guy I always liked Chewie. And after hearing some of the things Mayhew has said about big people, it makes me respect him and the character so much more because I know how it is to be a big guy. What does Mark Hamill know about that?

This kind of thing is different for every person. Someone may love Daniel Logan more than anything in the world. Amy Allen probably has her own fan club of drooling businessmen. So just because your ebayed Kenny Baker might not sell for as much as your brass bikini Carrie Fisher autograph, it doesn't mean that Kenny Baker's value as a member of the Star Wars family is any less valuable.

They all are awesome, and I can't wait to be there to meet them all (Or as many as I can).

And you never know who might make a special appearance. Optimism is a wonderful thing.

9. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    "And thats just the autograph list, you never know they could be there as specators, instead of participants."

True. Jake Lloyd was at C2,even though he didn't sign autographs. :)

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OBIX1 posted on 3/10/05 4:55pm

True. Jake Lloyd was at C2,even though he didn't sign autographs. [face_happy]
    [hr][/blockquote]

So was [face_drooling] [face_love][i]Hayyyyden[/i] [face_love][face_drooling]

11. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I'll repeat my post from the other grip thread. Its just as relevant here.

I couldn't care one bit if there was a Star Wars celebrity there.

Even if there were none, the opportunity to be with 40,000 or so like-minded people is reason enough to go.

I'm going to meet old friends, make new friends and generally have a good time.

I don't feel like the actors owe me anything and have to show up. I'm a Star Wars fan without seeing Mark Hamill in person every other day of the year, why should it make any difference if I see him or not at Indy?

C3 is going to be as much fun as you make it. If you think you are going to be treated special, well look out, there are 39,999 other people in front of you then!

12. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    If Hayden comes I really really hope he will do autographs. :(

Anyways, I was really bummed to see the annuncement too, I did expect some big surprises from LFL since this is supposed to be their big ulta con.

But keep in mind people this is still over a month away. We don't know for certain who is and isnt coming, even on that site they said if someone's schedule were to clear up, they would come. You don't know what might happen, who might change their minds or whatnot.

I think it's good that they gave this announcement so that people who had hugely overblown expectations can kind of sit back, breathe properly and enjoy what WILL be there, and the added bonuses will only make it better, instead of everyone *expecting* big name people and then whining because someone who probably had a .001% chance of coming doesn't come.

I personally am thrilled to death Stackpole is coming, and I hope at least Zahn comes as well. But that's me. I am weird and I like EU. :p

13. buntcake

buntcake Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2005

Blech! If I want to hang out with a bunch of other Star Wars fans, I'll do it on opening night. Just took my plane ticket and traded up for a ticket to Vegas. You were right about that, it's just too bad I don't find anything of value with CIII. I wish I did, but I can't now.

You kids have fun, I'll be enjoying gambling, free drinks and lap dances from women that probably never even heard of Star Wars...or anything for that matter.

BOTTOMS UP!

EV Edit: Thats it good sir, enjoy a 48 hour vacation.

14. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    I know one person that is definitely coming..... ME!!!!!!

15. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    buntcake... good on you.

But... what happens at C3 stays at C3.

16. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    No buntcake? Does that mean we'll have to alter our plans?

17. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Venture have I ever told you I love you?

18. Dark_Elling

Dark_Elling Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    Buntcake said" Actually the reason I haven't replied is because I like seeing all the different opinions of people come in, and the fact that I have a very busy job (one that requires an MBA...."

ROTFLMAO !!! MBA, what next, how much you make, you drive an exotic sports car! LMAO Pathetic.

Don't worry about us, we'll be having a great time at C3 with the celebs that do show up, regardless of the amount of screen time they had. Have fun paying for your women in Vegas!

19. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Sweetie, trust me when I say we neither need nor want you or your attitude at C3. Enjoy Vegas!

20. Darth_Bootsy

Darth_Bootsy Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2004
    Elling and Jaina are right on.

"PAY for those women."

Like women in Vegas just give lap dances for free...

good riddance..... is a good band.

Edit.

And let's just imagine for a sec. What if they said they wont have a head line guest, but maybe they will have headline guestS. Boy I would laugh my toosh off if we had a panel of all the big names and this dude was broke as a joke in Vegas.

21. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I'll re-iterate what I said in the other thread as well.

Despite my disappointment with none of the "headline" stars at the con (yet!), if that was the only reason for going there would have been no way I'd be paying for a flight from England and hotel costs.

It's about meeting 40,000 other SW fans, making new friends and generally just having a great time.

22. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Tony-WanKenobiNC Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    Ouch....a lot of the Dark Side I sense in here.....be mindful of your feelings and stuff.

Yeah, I was pretty bummed to see that announcement, I won't lie. I have to say that meeting the actors (especially hoping that at least one of the ones not coming, would come to sign autographs) and getting autographs was high on my priority list. Unlike crabcake (was that the name? can't remember, anyways) I do still wanna see and do other things, including hanging out with the fans.

What would be SOOOOOOO funny to me is if one of the big names not currently coming somehow saw this board and see that this dude is not coming and changes their plans to come....we'd all be the last ones laughing, in terms of the original post.

Dude has to pay for his women (lapdances and such)....now that's sad, really sad. The Force has left him, no doubt. LOL :)

23. jediseanUF

jediseanUF Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2005
    I for one am still excited to see the people who are going to be there. I met Dave Prowse briefly at C1 and saw Ray Park but I am excited to get their autographs this time.

However...the people complaining about the timing of these announcements do have a valid point. People signed up in droves (me included) prior to knowing much about what was being planned. And now after the refund period has passed do we see things that were highly HOPED for just not happening. Do I think that some of these bigger stars could have been contacted a little sooner..sure, is that the real reason they are not coming..not sure. Do I think GenCon is manipulating some of their information release to maximize the number of paying customers and minimize unhappy cancellations...I think so. Are we still going to have a great time and enjoy the company of so many Star Wars fans... Hell Yeah!!!!

This is my 2 cents (worth a lot less I am sure)

24. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Tony-WanKenobiNC Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    (waving hand using jedi mind trick)
    All is forgiven if we get to see ROTS at CIII :)
    Yeah, I think everyone would be ok with that(?).
    Hey, hey, no laughing to scorn....doh...

25. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Oh, if anyone wants to meet Mark Hamill, he will be at Grand Slam in Pasadena CA this Saturday, and he ALWAYS comes to Comic Con in San Diego in July.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.