main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lame Lineup...questioning if I should go or not...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by buntcake, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Tony-WanKenobiNC Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    since c2 ventures is the official autograph place....hopefully they'll AT LEAST be able to put autographs of some of the ones not coming on their site for sale.....granted, don't think I'll be paying $129.99 for christopher lee or sam jackson's autographs (no wait, his is now $109.99....thanks for the discount sam:) but it would be cool if they at least gave the fans an opportunity to purchase the others (that aren't coming) official autographs.

2. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    For a guy who supposedly has an MBA he can't spell. 'Bundt Cake' has a 'D' in it unless he's using a baseball refence.

He'll be getting lap dances from women he has to pay. Probably (and hopefully) one of those guys destined to never know the touch of the fairer sex. Let's just hope he never reproduces.

Personally, I'm glad I won't have to risk running into the guy. Sure he paid for a product but how can you complain about something you haven't even had yet? That's like going to your favorite resaurant, ordering you favorite dish and them complaining about it before it even gets to the table. At least sample it first. One thing he said was very telling- that the autographs wouldn't be worth anything. That's completely wrong. If you're getting a sig from someone you admire, that sig is priceless. The value is intrinsic. It doesn't matter how much money someone is willing to pay for it. If you won't part with it, that makes it priceless. That's where the value truly lies. When I get an autograph, it's because something that person has done has made an impact of some sort on me. I'm not thinking about how much I can get for it on Ebay the following week.

3. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Feb 14, 2005
    Posted this in the "civil" :) thread....I'll post it here too for fun....
    One thing that I think we're all missing is asking this (and I hope someone does ask it): How long did they know about these guests not coming? I mean, Christopher Lee's and Sam Jackson's autographs have been on their site for a few weeks now so, I have a bad feeling about this. Now, if someone does ask this, hopefully they get the truth (doesn't look good though). If they've known this for a while......well, this is gonna strike a nerve with a lot of fans. Especially, since it's after the deadline for cancelling. May not sound PC but it's not right if this is the case.

4. -Doctor_Evil-

-Doctor_Evil- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2004
    Well, to be honest I have not cared since day-one if any stars would be there. I just WILL not wait in line for anyones signature. I've never understood the fascination. But that is just me. I know some folks live for that stuff. The only advantage for me if they had the bigger stars, would be it would pull people out of the lines for the stuff I want to do. :)

I want to go to panels. I want to see the presentations and demonstrations. I want to browse the vendors and find the coolest and silliest licensed products. I want to see all the props up close. I want to see all the costume folks. I want to see the R2 D2 droids that people have constructed. I want to see the vintage toys I have not seen since I was a child. I want to see the new Fan Films. I want to eat lunch at a Steak 'n Shake while going over all the junk that I bought that I really didn't need, but could not resist. I want to hear someone tell all within earshot how horrible the prequels are, and then walk around a corner and hear another person saying how great they are. I want the whole experience. I want to be able to mention in casual conversation that Corran Horn is my favorite SW character and not have to explain who that is.... I'm sure I could think of more. That was just off the top of my head.

Plenty to do. Still plenty of waiting in lines I'm sure, but getting autographs or not, does not have to make or break an experience like this IMO.

Doc

5. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    He'll be getting lap dances from women he has to pay.

Suddenly paying to get a woman to just sign a picture seems like a rip-off. :p

Seriously though, the guy is gone, who cares? Why are people posting about a guy who is banned now? Can we either lock this thread or get it back on topic, and the topic is a serious one for people who are (or were) interested in obtaining autographs from bigger names.

6. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    If all he's interested in is getting autographs, then why not just buy then off the officialpix site? Wouldn't it have been cheaper than paying for C3 tickets, airfare and hotel?

7. Tony-WanKenobiNC

Feb 14, 2005
    ^ Agreed. Topic should be about those who are going to be there doing the autograph signings and ones thoughts on that....

8. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    If all he's interested in is getting autographs, then why not just buy then off the officialpix site?

I can't answer for him, but I never buy autographs. Not necessarily for fear of fakes, though that is an obvious concern, but I get autographs more for the experience. The actual autograph is nice, but I get them in person because it's a personal experience I'll always have from meeting the person. Sure, I've run across the rude SW actors, and I've been herded like cattle with some, never even getting eye contact or a hello, but then I've had the pleasure of having nice conversations with very pleasant individuals like Michael Sheard, Richard LaParmentier, Jeremy Bulloch, and Kenny Baker. That's something you can't get from OfficialPix. That being said, there are plenty of folks that would pay big money for the actual autograph and be perfectly happy. If that's their thing, good for them, because it looks like OfficialPix can make it happen.

9. scott1701

scott1701 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    You know... I hope not to piss anyone off here, but I've never have really been an autograph person.

If I can get an autograph with little trouble... great; but, if I need to wait in line 6+ hours to say hi to Carrie Fisher and have her sign something, I have better things to do.

I AM disappointed if this announcement is indicative if who will be there for the appearances and seminars. I actually am an acquintance of someone who used to work for LucasFilm and still has connections... I'll be emailing him tomorrow to see if he knows anything.

To sum up... I'm much more interested in hearing what the big names have to say (ie, see them in the seminars and other appearances) than to have a 10-second "meeting" with them and an autograph.

That said, hopefully we'll hear some announcements soon concerning major appearances... even if they don't autograph.

Scott

10. brokenyolk

brokenyolk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    ^I fully agree.

The most disappointing thing here (for me) is missing these stars speaking in panels and seminars. I'd be very interested in hearing what they had to say - especially guys like Lee and Jackson. (although admittedly I never truly thought they'd come). The panels I attended at CII that Fisher or Daniels were involved in were definitely highlights. I really thought we'd get the same from Mark Hamill this time around.

Any speculations on whose still to come?

Here are my guesses in order of likeliness:

- Billy Dee
    - Hayden Christensen
    - Jake Lloyd
    - Temuera Morrison

11. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    /\ Hayden is filming a movie in April, I've heard he won't be able to come. It would be cool if they could fly him out for a day though.

12. brokenyolk

May 10, 2002
    Most actors are filming a movie almost all the time...or if not they're doing ADR or reshoots or publicity...there aren't many days off for a guy like Hayden. I don't think his schedule will hold him back (although that is a convenient excuse). If he wants to be there (or more importantly I guess if LFL wants him to be there) they'll find a way. It's not too dificult to shoot around 1 actor on a film shoot for a couple days.

They gotta bring in one big gun right?

Right? [face_praying]

13. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Yeah but in Hayden's case the filming begins in April. In Italy.

It would be nice if he can fly in for the weekend, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

14. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    As far as I know most of those signed celebs will sign autographs through the mail for you for little more than the price of a postage stamp. It worked for me, and I have nearly everyone already.

15. brokenyolk

May 10, 2002
    Italy. hmmm. yeah that's a tough one.

You guys are making me sad.

16. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Ah don't fear brokenyolk, I'll be there, and I'm just as entertaining as Hayden!!

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm also hoping that there will be some stars there for panels, I would never stand in a long, long line just to get a quick autograph and nothing more though. For example when I was at Jedi-Con in Germany last year I didn't get Billy Dee's autograph, he simply seemed so rude and uninterested at his panels that it didn't feel worth it, on the other hand I had a really great chat with both Ian Liston and Paul Roscoe, they were wonderful at their panels as well.

18. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I agree with you guys about the "quick autograph" thing. I love getting people's autographs,but it's really the experience of getting to meet them that I like most. At C2,people stood in line practically all day for Carrie Fisher's autograph,only to get one signed quickly and then have to move on without even getting to speak to her much. I also heard that she seemed kind of "spaced out" when people met her. To me,that is not worth it. To spend a whole day of a convention to get one autograph,and then have an unmemorable experience on top of that. That's fine if some people like that,but that's just not my thing. [face_peace]

19. vader1025

vader1025 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2004
    "Oh, if anyone wants to meet Mark Hamill, he will be at Grand Slam in Pasadena CA this Saturday, and he ALWAYS comes to Comic Con in San Diego in July"

If someone goes there this Saturday, please kindly let him know we would love for him to be at C3. Don't rant or rave, just see what he has to say. Now if he says he was never asked or was asked to late...then we have a problem.

20. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    I, for one, think that the guests are great. I'm not particulary interested in standing in line all day just to get one of "the big ones", I'm just as interested in the smaller stars. Also, coming from Sweden I'm not exactly spoiled with meeting SW actors... we get one or maybe two each at each con here, and it's not like those cons are often. So for me it's gonna be so great just to meet so many SW actors at once, and even better: so many SW fans at once! For so many years I've been sitting watching pics from cons in the US, and now finally I'm going to one! Yay! :D

That said, I would really like it if some bigger star held a panel or so... :)

21. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    At C2,people stood in line practically all day for Carrie Fisher's autograph,only to get one signed quickly and then have to move on without even getting to speak to her much. I also heard that she seemed kind of "spaced out" when people met her.

I stood in line for 6hrs to get her autograph at CII. And I will say what is posted above is right. You got your things singed and they moved you out as fast as they could. And you could not take any pictures of her. Plus the one thing that I could not understand is that she was complaining about a crying baby. I will say that she did not want to be there.

Now for my rant. :)

I never expected Harrison Ford, Sam Jackson, Ewan McGregor, Christopher Lee to be there. They are A list actors. They have better thing to do.

Now Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Billy Dee Williams not coming that I'm a little disappointed in. I know that Mark is trying to distance him self from Star Wars but he should make an exception for this.

Now there is still time for Hayden or Jake Lloyd to be added. And I would like to meet Jake.

Now tlo call some of these people not major is wrong because they never did any thing outside of Star Wars is wrong. Kenny Baker, Jeremy Bulloch, Daniel Logan, Peter Mayhew, Ray Park, and Dave Prowse all had major parts in these movies.

22. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    vader1025 posted on 3/10/05 12:08pm
    I think one thing the original poster was trying to say is "why the heck wasn't this planned a lot sooner?"
    He is right; this is THE Star Wars convention and there shouldn't be more named stars at Comic-Con Austin than C3
    [hr][/blockquote]

Not to be nitpicky, but there isn't a comicon in Austin.

23. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    If he's talking about the Dallas ComicCon in May he's still wrong.

All the announced guests are appearing at C3 as well.

24. vader1025

vader1025 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2004
    ^ to the Comic-COn comment I made, I wqs quoting some else on either this one, or a previous one.
    No matter, my point is the same. This is the most Important Star Wars related convention ever and the actors should make an effort to be here. It's a "once in a lifetime" chance for them.
    As to Mark Hamill wanting to "distance" himself from Star Wars, I'm kind of sceptical about that. he was talking about a role in the upcoming TV series and what does he want to be known as? The guy that is in a couple of 2 bit films like Corvette Summer and Jay and Silent Bob strike back?

25. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    The one persons's autograph that I truely want is Harrison Ford, and he'll NEVER attend anything like this so I have no delusions whatsoever. lol

I've met David Prowse already, he's an awesome guy to talk to. I didn't get his autograph though, I got a picture with him instead. ;)

Personally, I'd be happy to get autographs or pictures with people like Trisha Biggar! Or from any of the authors or artists or supporting actors. I guess my waits in line will be relatively short. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.