"Lamps"

Discussion in 'Scifi 3D Forum' started by RylorTaduri, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RylorTaduri Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey folks, I've been in modelling for 2 years now and I'm using MAX 4.2. I was just wondering how to do effect like this for lights:

http://scifi3d.com/images/wip/565_src_legacyISD6.jpg

Taking a wild guess I'd say it's with Post Video effects? Is there an other way to get around?
  2. Alessandro_Moretti Jedi Padawan

The "light stripes" are simply surfaces with a self-illumination map, and the glow is added in a compositing application, or with a Video-Post glow (If is 3dsmax)
  3. myself_me Jedi Master

star 4
    It has now became my obligation to apply that exact effect to all the lights in my uber batteling arena.

Wow.
  4. Henry_Jones_Junior Jedi Padawan

you can do it with a glow in max video post, but if you want a better control, I would suggest to use photoshop or after effect. you can do that by duplicating layers, setting to screen fusion mode, and then playing with blur effect, color levels and contrast
  5. joek1010 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah, but don't you have to do that frame by frame in photoshop? That would be a real pain. How bad is the video post quality?
  6. myself_me Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm, you could render the lamps alone as a separate animation/picture, add glow/shine-plug-in/blur or whatever suits you, and overlay that over the rest of the footage in AE.

I find that would work best, and leave you with plenty control.
  7. Henry_Jones_Junior Jedi Padawan

Yeah the trick I disribed above is possible in AE, these are basic operation on layer that are possible in both applications. AE is a kind of photoshop for video actually, it allow to do apply the same kind of filters on video footage
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.