main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Lancaster County Garrison planning

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Midi-ChlorianLori, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Twilight

Darth_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2005
    Aw, come on, slap on a beard and some suspenders and join the fun!

2. Vaders_Kid

Vaders_Kid Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2002
    You know, the more I think about this, the more tempted I am to do it.

I actually have a black hat that I think might work and I'd just need to get some suspenders (I could get a cheap pair pretty easily I imagine) and the beard. Or maybe I could be the boyish non-bearded farm hand.
    I could always have some sort of garden tool hanging from my belt instead of the lightsaber which will add to the overall "Amish-ness".

Hmmmm....

3. Darth_Twilight

Feb 14, 2005
    Its too bad we don't have oxen for this, LOL.

Bruce, sounds good, do it!

4. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Bruce, is the rest of the trio coming? Because an Amish rebel pilot could be handy. And a spare amish Leia....

I'll keep an eye out for premade bonnets and report back tomorrow. Also, we have a cheapo Vader helmet - maybe I can fashion some sort of calico helmet slipcover....... I act like I can actually sew. Of course, it's like practicing for a chair slipcover, right? Yeah. That's it.

5. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    Vaders_kid, you should totally do an Amish Luke - he was a farmboy after all! And incidentally (I'm new) which Luke costume do you have? Cinnea, thanks for looking for the bonnets. I hope you find one! I have a Leia costume but to do that right it would need to have a white bonnet with two "bun covers" on either side, and I lack sewing skills!

6. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    So, the closest thing we found to a bonnet were those white lacy caps - the sort of thing Martha Washington wore. Didn't pick any up, as they are non-returnable and what would I do with lacy caps? But they're easy enough to get if you want them.

On the beard front, we bought out the store's supply of cheap black beards - I have 5 of them on my dining room table right now. Wendy, I think you had a conflict - did you still want one? I know where there's another costume shop, so it's easy enough to pick up another.

7. Darth_Minx

Darth_Minx Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2003
    Sweet, how much do I owe you?

8. Vaders_Kid

Vaders_Kid Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2002
    Eugenia--

Yes, the other two members of the triad are indeed coming to the con, but I'm not sure if they doing the costume thing or not. I'll check with them and see what's up. I'm coming in costume regardless. Still haven't decided about the Amish thing though. But I am starting to lean towards doing it.

Leia Asylum--

To answer your question, I have replicas of Luke's farmboy and ceremonial outfits from 'A New Hope'. I also have the outfits worn in 'The Empire Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Jedi'. Which Leia outfits do you have?

9. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    $4.25 each. I went with the fancy beards.

10. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    Vaders_kid, I just have the classic white ANH Leia dress. I also have a sort of generic Jedi costume that is not meant to resemble any particular movie character. Where did you get the Luke ceremonial jacket, if you don't mind me asking? I love talking about costumes, even though I know little about them (I'm a recent arrival at the costuming thang). And I still think Amish Luke would be a riot - add the Amish-style hat, and maybe some suspenders, to the costume, and you're ready to go!

I don't think I can scrape up an Amish look, but if I can I will.

And just to be a total geek, is there going to be a meeting place on Saturday morning? I'm probably going to drive up for the day and I'd hate to wander aimlessly, searching for Amish stormtroopers, and miss out on any GS hijinx. :-B

11. Darth_Twilight

Feb 14, 2005
    Now that you mention it, we usually have a cell phone list that we pass around before conventions. Eugenia has been the keeper of that. E? You might want to give Eugenia (Cinnea) your number to add to the list. I myself will be there on Friday.

12. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    In fact, why doesn't everyone who wants on the list, email me their cell numbers again? It's always good to have updated numbers.

We'll be arriving on Friday as well. I think a meeting place will be set up as soon as the schedule comes out. It won't be too early. ;)

And when in doubt, check the Lounge.

13. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Grand_Moff_Stallion Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    Or the bar. That's the first place I always look. ;)

14. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    Hi all, long-time (occasional) lurker, first-time poster here. Some of you know me (Eric Tank), if you're not one of those, I'm Lori Frye's significant other :). Member of Garrison Tyranus (VA 501st), mostly as Vader, though I have an Imp Officer and have done TK before. Also have a generic Jedi, though I'm not a member of the Rebel Legion yet.

Been roped into the Lancaster County Garrison :D, and will be playing Jedi for that one. Still need to get some suspenders to take the place of my tabards, and I'm trying to think of what else I need to change for best effect. I already got the beard, of course, and Lori's working on the hat. Charles, you're planning on using an axe for your lightsaber? We went to Home Despot the other day to look around, but couldn't find anything really good for my "saber", and don't want to run into problems with con security using something dangerous as a prop. Have you considered using one of those little 3-pronged rake-thingies (Home Despot calls it a "hand cultivator") as a "mechanical hand"? Failing that, perhaps one of those cheapo pirate-type hooks?

Also, Charles, before I forget - you'd asked me about Vader Supreme Edition costume mods a while back. Have you seen this page: www.imperial-fleet-com/vader ? Just the helmet to date, but it looks pretty good - finally got me thinking seriously about painting my own Classic Action helmet and armor parts myself.

See you all at Farpoint!

15. Grand_Moff_Stallion

Grand_Moff_Stallion Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    Actually, I wasn't about to get a real ax (probably too expensive, plus security concerns). I found a prop ax at Masters Costumes and picked up some spray paint at Home Depot (it always comes back to Home Depot). So we'll see how that goes. I'll check out the site you linked me, but if I'm going to do any serious mods to the helmet, I'm definatley going to need expierenced supervision. :)

16. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    You will soon find out that all your costuming mod needs normally send you back to Home Depot. [face_laugh]

Again, I am bummed that I can not be a part of this now, but have a drink for me in your Amish finest everyone! ;)

17. EricT

Feb 2, 2004
    *Smacks self on forehead* D'oh! Don't know why I didn't think about that. Guess I'll have to head back to Master's for my own Lancaster lightsaber - mine'll have to be blue, of course.

And yes, it DOES always come back to Home Depot. :D

Well, this site seemed very thorough to me, with step by step photos and good descriptions of what was being done. Won't tackle it myself till after Farpoint, and I plan to start with my fiberglass armor pieces anyways, but it seemed simple enough in principle, anyways. Besides, it's a lot less nerve-wracking to think about painting my helmet when, if I totally and irredeemably screw it up, I can now replace it with a similar helmet for $125 instead of $500 or more (if I could even FIND another C/A). Ideally, of course, I won't have to worry about that at all :). One of these days, I'm going to have to put a real helmet liner in there to hold it in position on my head properly, too...

Like I said at the New Year's party, for yours I'd start with replacing the lenses and the multi-layered grill screen, plus maybe the tusks if you're feeling ambitious - oh, and at least one fan inside somewhere to blow cool(er) air across your face and keep the lenses from fogging up. That'd do until you felt comfortable doing more major work, there're plenty of 501st-legal Vaders without 2-tone painted helmets.

And since this appears to be veering rather far off-topic, I'll close this here. Thanks again for the suggestion, Charles.

Eric Tank
    SL-7171 Garrison Tyranus (VA)/501st Legion

18. Darth_Minx

Mar 20, 2003
    Topic? There's a topic?

19. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm just glad someone mentioned suspenders. I knew there was something I needed to do ASAP....

20. EricT

Feb 2, 2004
    Shhh, don't tell anyone! ;)

21. Midi-ChlorianLori

Midi-ChlorianLori Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2003
    Actually Eric, posting from Lori's computer -

There's been a problem. Lori's in the hospital now (since Mon AM), we don't know yet what's wrong, and I just have a minute before I head out the door back to the hospital. She wanted me to tell everyone that it doesn't look like she'll be able to get the hats done in time for Farpoint. We might not BE at Farpoint, actually, we don't know yet. Apologies all around, but it looks like the Lancaster County Garrison is going to have to wait a little longer. I'll post updates as I get them, when I have time.

Eric

22. Darth_Twilight

Feb 14, 2005
    Oh my God, Eric. I hope she'll be home recovered soon! In which hospital is she? Let us know how it goes! Wishing all the best!

23. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Eric, please, let us know if we can do anything and tell Lori we're thinking of her, and want her well!!

24. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Please pass on my hopes for a quick recovery to Lori as well. [:D]

25. Darth_Minx

Mar 20, 2003
    Goodness, we don't care about the hats! Just get better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.