main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Landfill where Atari videogames were buried to be excavated

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Jun 2, 2013.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Alamogordo city council grants approval

C'mon man, really? Why, besides the curiosity factor, would you do this? Like those games would still be playable after being crushed and buried under concrete and trash for three decades.

Also, if that E.T. game is as bad as they say it is, maybe they belong down there. Lord knows that Atari 2600 port of Pac-Man does.

Oh great. Now I got the sound of that game in my head.

EEEH OON EEEH AHHT

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL wut? I played many, many Atari 2600 games back in the day and I've never even heard of the ET game. Doesn't sound like it's worth excavating.

Ms Pac Man and Space Invaders, on the other hand...

3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I played that game a couple of times, it can stay buried.

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It's not that nobody could play E.T., it's that nobody knew how. The game was, dare I say, ahead of it's time in terms of gameplay and initiatives (most Atari games were known for being simple, easy to pick up arcade ports). Though I will say that it's the type of game that wouldn't go over well with kids, which was unfortunately the target audience.

Now, it's nice to see some light being shed on this urban legend after all these years, but it'll barely prove anything that we don't already know. I wouldn't expect anything to actually be salvageable after the abuse they've been through. On top of that, E.T. is still a common game today, despite the landfill scandal. But I'm still curious about what will be unearthed there.

5. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you bastard. of course i had to click it again. but thankfully my java is out of date or something. *fist pump*

7. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    I'll say the 2600 version of E.T is pretty common, as well as the 2600 port of Pac-Man (It was the pack-in game sold with the system for a time). I saw a copy of the 2600 E.T. at a local Goodwill a few years back (No, I did not buy it).

But the reason why the 2600 version of Pac-Man is so common is that Atari, in their hubris, made more Pac-Man games than there were Atari 2600 systems out on the market, much less even sold! It think they made like 5-10 million more Pac-Man carts than there were 2600 systems or something like that. An Atari executive said they did this because they thought people would want a second copy for their ski house or something like that. Yes, an executive actually said that.

It was thinking like this (one video game company exec supposedly said something to the effect of "I could put horse**** in a box and it would move a million units) that led to the video game crash of 1983. To be honest, reading up on it, you get the feeling some of the companies brought it on themselves.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    An E.T. Atari for every household!

9. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Attitudes like that lead to the crash of other industries as well. OTOH, executives like that just flocked to the music industry, which explains the current spate of crap they keep trying to tell us is cool.

10. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Reading about the XBox One, does anybody else think things are going to be looking bad for the video game industry, i.e. a second crash or something along those lines? You get the feeling Microsoft is setting themselves up for a world of hurt.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    From reading a lot of gamers' displeasure (I'm not one, but I know a few through various message boards and sites and some members of my family are gamers), about all the various consoles that are coming out, most notably XBox One, and I'd say yes.

12. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    DRM is a pipe dream. Someone will either find a way to counteract it or the market will voice its displeasure to MS.

13. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    That game was so bad......soooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad...........so terrible..........

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Given the reaction all over social media today about this, I guess I'm supposed to care.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's a game so terrible that it helped kill the industry in the U.S. Doesn't that make you want to play it?!

17. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I guess the tourist gift shops in Alamogordo have run out of trinitite, so now they'll begin
    selling the rotted remains of failed Atari game cartridges.

Whatever.

18. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    The article mentions people leaving because of the stench from the trash [face_rofl].

Nice to see it confirmed, though.