main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lando instead of Lor San Tekka?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JMaster Luke, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I think it could've worked, but there would certainly have been the danger of too much too soon - and that it would've dulled the edge of Han's death.
    That's probably why they chose to invent a brand new character for this. As it stands, I like Lor and have no problem whatsoever with the way he's established as an old friend of the family. After all, it's been thirty years since ROTJ, so it's not something that seems to come out of the blue. Also, it's nice to get side characters fleshed out a bit now and then. It makes the story real and impactful.

I'm still hoping for a meaningful return of Lando. In fact, it wouldn't make sense to me if he does NOT appear in some way. That's why I believe he will. At the very least, he'll be talked about.
    Hm... Maybe he'll be what GL would call an "emerging character" in this trilogy. Just as Luke was mostly just talked about in TFA and then takes on a bigger role in TLJ, maybe Lando will be mentioned in TLJ and then make a triumphant return in EpIX!
    Not as significantly as Luke, of course. Lando was always a sidekick and if he does appear, his part in the story will likely remain quite small.

J7Luke likes this.
  2. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    True, but people would claim that's how Lando went out if it happened to him.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, they probably would. And, if it had been Lando, I wouldn't have liked that death for him, either.

Jolee Bindo and SunnyNelson like this.
  4. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I don't have a problem with Lor San Tekka being someone unknown. Leia was a well-known figure. There are going to be people she knew but were not seen by us in the few limited environments of Yavin, Hoth, and the Rebel fleet. Lando, and an audience interested in seeing Lando would deserve more than that.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  5. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    I agree that copying and pasting Lando into Lor San Tekka's death scene would have been unfair to Lando, but if they started TFA with him, I imagine his death scene would have been completely different. I imagine Lando going out guns a blazing with his cape flowing behind him (probably covering whoever he gave the map to as they escaped) and right before he dies, he would say, "This deal is... getting worse... all... the... time!"

Darth Dnej and Lulu Mars like this.
  6. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I wouldn't like it. Now if he was a contact on a different location, it could work. Lando out in the desert as a monk-like character would not fit at all. On top of all that, Lando would deserve more than dying in the first few minutes of the new trilogy.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

He could always keep his stash of Colt 45 on ice underground. It might work. :lando:

Darth__Lobot and Darth Dnej like this.
  8. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Soo...Wedge then.

Seriously, I fundamentally disagree with Lando taking the role of Lor San Tekka but Wedge? A minor character with history with the Big Three and brothers in arms with Luke Skywalker and the definition of the Ensemble Darkhorse trope. Lando is too much of a big name to have him be done in like that but Wedge was just minor enough with just enough clout with the fandom to have it mean something but not have it overshadow the whole thing.

Don't get me started, but thats a matter for another thread

J7Luke likes this.
  9. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000

J7Luke likes this.
  10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Wouldn't it have been incredibly redundant, to the point of farce, to have Kylo murder both Lando and Han in the same film?

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I had no idea who Lor San Tekka was until I just looked him up. Would've been a shame to waste Billy Dee Williams in such a nonrole, imo.

12. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000

I'm just saying IF Lando doesn't show up at all then wouldn't a character who has history with the main characters, knew Kylo before he was evil and wants to find Luke make sense to be someone we as an audience knows? When he died it was like...oh well. never knew him anyways. If it was Lando or as others said at least Wedge then i think it might have been better.

Nos if you made this Tekka guy without all this back story then maybe I wouldn't care.

J7Luke likes this.
  13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Can only speak for myself, but I didn't have a very strong emotional reaction to the OT characters in TFA. Just thought the film could've used more breathing room to re-establish their identities given this entry was so far down the line since we last saw them. Not sure Lando appearing for a couple of minutes just to be killed off would've worked for me. Then again, maybe the shock factor would've been enough. Han's death was easier to predict then another Death Star.

14. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I think Lando would have fit the role of LST pretty well, but I'm glad that wasn't his role. Having Kylo kill Lando within the first 5 minutes combined, with him later killing Han, would have been too much.

15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, it would have been cool if Lando survived and went with Han onto the bridge to confront Kylo. He could stab Han and Lando at the same time with them saying the same lines at the same time. Then have one fall one way off the bridge and the other the other way.

It's a two-fer!

jaqen and J7Luke like this.
  16. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017

[face_laugh] That would have went over well.

17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

:D

J7Luke likes this.
  18. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Landon would have worked better in Maz Kanata's role, with a bit of re-jigging.

Think about it - Han needs a stop off, goes to see an old friend, Rey senses a lightsaber calling to her...

Padme501st and J7Luke like this.
  19. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    And later when asked by Han how he got that lightsaber, Lando says, "A good question, for another time..."

I kinda like that, actually.

Mistress_Renata and J7Luke like this.
  20. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

I was thinking more that it'd render that unnecessary; Han, Finn and Rey go to cloud city to meet Lando instead of Maz, and Rey senses something, and journeys down into the bowels of Bespin and finds the lightsaber - when she returns, Lando is like "how did you find that? When I returned here after the fall of the empire, none of my men could recover Luke's lightsaber.."

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That... is kinda brilliant.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe it's not too late for them to reshoot the movie.

jaqen and J7Luke like this.
  23. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Wow - so to pile on... that is actually an amazing idea.

-Jedi Joe-, jaqen and J7Luke like this.
  24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The opening scene could have been moved to Cloud City! Or whatever planet Lando is on.

J7Luke likes this.
  25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agree. I just don't believe Lando would become heavily interested in the Jedi/the Force either.

Darth Dnej likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.