main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lando possibly in Episode 7 (or 8) after all?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediKnightOB1, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    There's only so many old characters you can bring back before it starts to get ridiculous.

2. ForgottennJedi1986

ForgottennJedi1986 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 12, 2014
    Unless he needs to be dead for plot purposes I don't see why they wouldn't bring him back even for short cameo in one of the films, I mean him and Han seemed like old best friends who got reunited. It might be a bit of fan service, but really so what? The guy has been great to Star Wars fans over the decades, way more than some of others.

3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    My name tells you everything you need to know.

4. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Yeah, I'm hoping he's not dead and he comes back for at least EP8 and EP9.

5. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
  6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I would imagine that Lando will pop up in some form in the ST. It doesn't have to be a big role, but it would be cool to see what he's been up to.

7. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Lando is too busy dancing on some show

8. Curjax Rebo

Curjax Rebo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2014
    I think He'll show up in VII unannounced. That's how Abrams rolls, unless someone spoils it that is.

BigAl6ft6 and TKT like this.
  9. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Well there is a certain symmetry to him showing up in 8

10. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Indeed, it rhymes, like poetry

11. Jerome83

Jerome83 Jedi Padawan

Apr 30, 2014
    Maybe we see him in the last minute when they have the victory celebration parade...

12. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I would prefer that they save his return for 8. This film is way too crowded as it is.

Django Fett, Dak Oolron and mratm23 like this.
  13. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    If you're a producer/director/mastermind of a saga like Star Wars, you have to think in terms of a saga. If you put all your main characters in the first movie you're not telling a story the way it should be, you're just making a fan-pleasing blockbuster.

Billy Dee is alive and kicking and he loves being Lando. I'm sure he'll show up, just have patience.

jbyrd1245 likes this.
  14. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I don't see why he can't get a quick cameo talking to Han.

15. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    that inspired me:(spinoff maybe?)
    Weekend at Landos:
    [​IMG]

16. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Lando will be at Han's funeral? :_|

Bennihana likes this.
  17. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Lando will be revealed to be the "Dark Knight"!

18. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

[face_laugh]

You see that's what I'm afraid of, though. I'm with sethg and Skaddix in thinking Ep. VIII would be a better fit for Lando for a number of reasons; the aforementioned symmetry, the already crowded "We're baaaaack!" slate for Ep. VII. But health is a fickle thing at any age, let alone late 70s, and I'd hate to get to Ep. VIII and Billy Dee not be able to participate due to health reasons.

19. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Did they say why Lando is not in this movie?

20. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    My guess is he'll have a small but crucial cameo in 2-3 scenes in Episode VIII. That keeps VII from being overstuffed with the old guard and also gives VIII another little hook for the original fans. I don't think his appearance in VIII will be a secret either...he'll be announced with the cast to help build hype, etc.

With the task of reintroducing audiences to the GFFA 30 years after ROTJ, catching up with Luke, Han and Leia and introducing about 10 new lead characters, I doubt there's time for Lando in this one. Just wait another two years...

21. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    JJ and Disney gave Denis Lawson (Wedge), a glorified extra, the courtesy and RESPECT of a phone call and a part in VII but not Billy Dee, the unsung hero of what many consider to be the best Star Wars film of all time. Star Wars has white people coming out the ass, but for many black/non-white people like myself, Lando was OUR Han Solo, our official entry into a galaxy far, far away....

Even if he makes a cameo in VII, I still consider this whole affair one of grave disrespect. How would you guys like it if Harrison, Mark or Carrie had to pretend they weren't even called? How would you like to read reports of your beloved white actors begging for VII crumbs on Facebook like a nobody, waiting for that midnight call that most likely never came? Disney and company are way too comfortable doing ***t like this. I don't care how many black people you stick in VII; you NEED Lando.

Silly people are on here talking nonsense like "Wait for VIII to bring him in. It's like poetry!". DUDE, the man is 77 AS IS, junior only to Kenny Baker (80), and, if you haven't noticed, he's not in great shape. What if his health worsens to the point where even a cameo isn't an option, or, God forbid, the man dies before VIII begins shooting? What are you going to tell black people, "Sorry we didn't get around to bringing back one of your groundbreaking, beloved and iconic heroes"? For shame...

Just like I want to see that strong and pioneering female character Leia pass on the torch to Daisy, so too do I hold hope that the original brotha in the galaxy is still around to pass insight to Boyega. For God's sake, I at least want to see them both on the big screen TOGETHER, for symbolic purposes...

Han Drolo and Dak Oolron like this.
  22. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't really see how adding Lando would be an overload of returning characters. Wouldn't that kind of be like saying, "Oh well for Return of the King, we are already bringing back Frodo, Aragon, Legolas, Gimli, and Sam, so let's not bring back Merry and Pippin, that would just be overload."?

23. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Sorta like a black Bechdel test?

24. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I coulda been in Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" music video and I agree with you... and it would be difficult (near impossible) to recapture the charm of Billy Dee with a recast, if BDW is not physically able to participate by the time the Star Wars team wakes up and realizes that the GFFA needs Lando. Hopefully Boyega will be as good as I'm hoping, but it would still be a huge mistake not to include Lando in the ST.

25. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    Considering the release schedule on the sequel trilogy (2015, 2017, 2019) and the fact that VIII is already in the writing process by Rian Johnson, it stands to reason that pre-production for VIII will begin before the end of 2015, with filming to follow in early 2016.

Billy Dee will still be around by then, and he'll be in VIII for sure. But, I still think he has a small role in VII. At the very least he'll be mentioned by Han and Leia.

Dak Oolron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.