main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lando

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by greviousrules, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greviousrules

greviousrules Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    Is lando really on the rebellion, after what he did to Han, and got them into the biggest setup ever?

2. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Yes, Lando really joined the rebellion... I think he wouldn't have, if the Empire had just left him and Cloud City alone - but after seeing how evil Vader could be, he probably felt the Galaxy would be better off without the Empire and helped.

3. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Lando, like most, was just a man trying to make his way in the galaxy. As long as Lando's livelyhood wasn't threatened he was happy.A typical money driven person. Remember he made a deal w/the Empire to remain autonomous. It didn't work, Lando lost everything, and joined the Rebellion. After betraying Solo, Leia, and Chewie, plus setting up Luke, I do wonder why the Rebellion didn't just shoot him.

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Because they're smarter than you are.

Think before you shoot
    /LM

5. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes, they let Lando into the Rebellion. He really didn't have any choice but to cooperate with Vader when he showed up to Cloud City.

And then he DID help them all escape, and helped rescue Han.

He redeemed himself.

6. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    With Lando being quite rich, do you think he gave the rebellion a large sum of money to help them purchase more weapons and supplies for the battle in rotj?

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Depends if the Empire froze his assets on Bespin and other places. He'd be a bit out on the cash flow if such happened, though I'm sure he had stuff stashed away elsewhere...and not entirely by legal means.

I always felt Lando was a misunderstood character. Sure, he made a deal that wound up betraying his friends, but you have to keep in mind that he wasn't just a two-bit smuggler anymore. He had an entire city and business operation to take care of, as well his responsibility to the people within that city. If it comes down to harm to your old friend versus harm to a greater number of people, I think most people would be hard-pressed to choose the former. Now, get me wrong, some of his motives were obviously selfish and intended to save his own life as well, but I generally can't fault him too much for the decision he made.

8. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    As usual, Chaotic_Serenity is right.

And consider this: what was Lando's alternative? Vader has the Executor parked out back. Was Lando really going to have any option other than to do what Vader wished? Had he confronted Vader, he'd be the Ozzel of Cloud City and who knows what would have happened to the inhabitants.

In Lando's mind (as a two-bit swindling scoundrel himself) probably thought he was dealing in good faith. Poor, gullible Lando.

9. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Well said, Chaotic_Serenity...

Remember...Lando was a respectable businessman. He had to do what was best for the city...and he did, until he realized they were all in trouble anyway.

10. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    That's nice Lars_muul. Interesting way to add nothing to the conversation.

11. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    You have to look at the fact that Lando had no choice what so ever. If Lando had ever decided to cross Vader, Vader would kill Lando in an instant. I don't think Lando had any intention to hurt Han, and I think way before he made the deal with Vader, he knew that he wouuld be performing some kind of rescue on his friend. Lando Had to let things play out or else he and everyone else on Bespin would be killed. Lando could not risk that.

Making him a General was a smart move, Lando had a lot to contribute to the Rebellion, and I doubt the Empire was thinking about freezing all of Lando's wealth. That was probably the last thing on their minds.

12. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    I doubt the Empire was thinking about freezing all of Lando's wealth. That was probably the last thing on their minds.

I'm sure Bespin was punished in some form. Our stalwart band of heroes escaped on the Falcon. Only way they would have been able to do that is with Lando's help. Vader would have known this. And It is entirely possible that Vader knew Lando would help his friends the entire time and was just toying with him.

As for freezing Lando's wealth, I'm guessing since he is a member of the Alliance, he wouldn't be able to hit the First National Bank of Coruscant for his funds. Any monies that he had stored away in conventional institutions would be difficult (if not impossible) to access.

13. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Good point, didn't really think of that.

14. Sith_Lord_Magnus

Sith_Lord_Magnus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I agree that Lando was misunderstood and didn't really have a choice. I didn't like him at first after ESB but after ROTJ he became one of my favorite characters.

15. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I thought he was a slimy creep at first. That "Hello, what have we here?" greeting to Leia was really yech. Didn't get much better when he betrayed Han and the rest to the Empire, but I do realize he didn't have much choice in the matter. At least he advised everyone in Bespin to get out before the Imperial troops arrived. In the end he did redeem himself, helping to rescue Han and joining the Rebellion. One of the more interesting minor character arcs in SW IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.