main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Laptop]This is why Aragorn can't have nice things.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Aragorn327, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Why hello there interested thread opener. You wondering what this thread is about I expect!

So there is a pretty bad crack in my laptop screen. It's just the screen, everything works fine when I plug it into a monitor.

Has anyone replaced a screen before? Unsure where the best place to get a new LCD screen (17" for a Dell Inspiron e1705) if I was going to attempt to do it myself, or if I should shell out more money to get someone else to do it.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Don't know about Dell, but from what I've read about laptops in general the screen can be a pain in the butt to replace. You might want to get an estimate from a repair place to see if replacing it is worth it. If the laptop is more than a couple of years old it might be worth pricing a new one and maybe saving this one as a backup unit to be used with a monitor.

3. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    [image=http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dude-getting-dell-doh.jpg]

Ask this guy?

4. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    i've replaced the lcd's on the dell latitudes (d620, d630, and d430), and i have to admit that it is the part of the laptop i like replacing the least. can it be done? yes. will it be easy? not really.

5. TheModFavorite

Sep 14, 2007
    hmmmm, based on what i'm seeing on your model (dell's got it lumped in with the inspiron 9400), it looks like they don't usually replace the lcd itself, but the whole lid. if that's the case, it's not that difficult to replace. if you just get the lcd itself and have to dismantle the lid to put in the lcd, that's going to be a pain.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Do you have any idea on price for replacing the whole lid? He's bound to ask - I'll just beat him to it.

7. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Often it's worthwhile buying a dud laptop of the same kind from ebay or some such and scavenging the pieces you can use.

I agree with TheModFavourite, replacing laptop screens is a bitch, try googling 'replace laptop screen on dell <insert model number here>'. I've found step by step guides, both with images and videos, from people who have done that with just the machine I've had to do it on.

8. TheModFavorite

Sep 14, 2007
    my job required me to get dell certified, so i took a look at the the actual repair guides dell has for his model. they replace the entire lid, not just the lcd. see if you can get the same model cheap and use it for parts.

i don't have any prices for that unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.