main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX LARP - Boffer Weapon Supplies (long, with a rant)

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Carmen, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carmen

Carmen Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    /RANT MODE ON

Well, I thought I had found a website where we could get all of our boffer-building supplies with one lump order. So, just to make sure, I placed a little test order on June 21. I figured that if it came in a reasonable amount of time, I could pass on the information to the rest of you, we could all put together one big order for supplies, and life would be good.

Today is July 16. I have not received my order. I have sent this website 2 emails and 3 voice mails asking about my order, and I suspect that the only reason that I got a response today is that I threatened to call the Better Business Bureau. :mad:

If anyone would like the name of this website, so that they don't ever place an order with them, please PM me, and I will be happy to send it to you.

Or is it OK to post a website's address if you're trying to warn people away from it?

/RANT MODE OFF

Thanks for bearing with me, I needed that.

I've pretty much decided that I need to find another source for boffer-building supplies. Unfortunately for that nasty little website mentioned above, I already knew where to get everything. The only reason I tried this new place was because they (supposedly) carry everything in one spot.

For building a safe boffer lightsaber, you need basically four things:

• pipe

• pipe insulation

• open cell foam

• tape

Taking these things one at a time:

Pipe This is for the core of your weapon. 1/2" PVC (available at your local hardware store) does work for this, but it's heavy. If you're a wimp like me, you'll want to use .505 kite spar. This is available from kite supply companies.

Pipe insulation This is for the part of the weapon you use to hit people. :) There's a specific type of pipe insulation that's usable for this. It isn't commonly available in the DFW area, but it can be ordered online from a certain well-known national hardware store chain. ;) If you don't feel like ordering this online, you can buy a "Funoodle" (at least, I think that's the brand name) at most local supermarkets.

(By the way, if anyone finds pipe insulation made of funoodle-type stuff at their local hardware store, I'd really appreciate the address. ;))

Open Cell Foam This is to cap the end of the weapon in case you decide to poke someone with it. Chunks of this are available at just about every chain fabric store known to man. It's used for chair cushions. You want foam that's 2" thick. One slab of this will provide tips for several weapons. This is good, because replacing the tip is the most common repair I've seen made to a boffer weapon.

Tape This is to hold your weapon together and give the blade some color. The cheapest and most commonly used is duct tape, which is available all over the place and comes in different colors. I've also used gaffer tape, which is available at a couple of local theatrical supply places. It's lighter than duct tape, and comes in at least a few colors. It's a bit more expensive than duct tape. The last one I've found is a nylon kite repair tape. I'm not sure how well it'll work - I haven't ordered any yet - but it does come in all of your usual lightsaber colors. And a couple of others. It seems to be the most expensive per foot.

(I told you this was long!)

Ok, that all said, I'll get to the point. I have the web address for a kite supply company that I know sells the proper kite spar. It also sells the nylon tape. I also have the website for a certain well-known national hardware chain.

If you are interested in the LARP we're setting up in a couple of months, or if you just want to build a big padded stick so you can hit your friends with it, then I'm making two offers:

1. If you would like the addresses and product numbers for these websites, please PM me or post your email address here, and I will be happy to send you that information. That way, you can place your own order for whatever you want.

2. If

2. Carmen

May 19, 2002
    I plan on being at the meeting on the 20th. If you'd like to get the information or hand me money for an order, both options will be available then. Be warned - I might rant about a certain nasty little website while I'm there. If it goes on for more than a couple of minutes, tell me to relax. :D

3. DarthBanky1

DarthBanky1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2002
    Is there a website carmen that can give you intrustion s on builing the hil?? and make it look decent rather than just a pipe?? lol

4. Carmen

May 19, 2002
    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any websites on making PVC lightsaber hilts. Basically, I was planning on building up the grip with PVC (the wider pipe is more comfortable to hold), and then trying to decorate it with whatever seemed like a good idea at the time from my local hobby and hardware stores.

(Someone from that nasty little website is supposed to call me today. I still have not received that phone call. Who wants to bet that I'll have to follow through on my threat to register a complaint with the BBB tomorrow?)

5. Carmen

May 19, 2002
    I won't be calling the BBB tomorrow after all. I got my phone call, with about 10 apologies, an offer to throw in some extra stuff, and a promise that they will be having a long chat with the incompetent fool who didn't ship my order. I should have my original order (plus some) early next week.

I also got the opportunity to mention that this was a test order before making a larger order for a new group. [face_devil]

I feel better.

6. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Tell them that their every move is being watched by highly trained professionals. Watch 'em squirm. ;)

7. Carmen

May 19, 2002
    I never did tell them that I found out what their physical address is. Reverse phone lookups can be our friends. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.