main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Laser vision correction surgery

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Jun 26, 2014.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    First off, sadly I am not getting my Kryptonian laser vision corrected. Sorry if the title is misleading.

Maybe this is a bit late to be asking for input, but I'm having my SBK laser eye correction surgery tomorrow. (I don't say LASIK because they are clear that this is the next generation of the procedure which uses only lasers, no blades).

This is to correct mild myopia (-1.25) which is just bad enough that I can't drive, watch TV, etc. without my contacts or glasses. Since I work long hours my daily contacts are always sticking to my eyes by the end of the day and should I actually have time to watch a show or play a game at night, I can't because my eyes are crusty. And I got sick of wearing glasses for 12 years.

Soooo.... Anyone else had LASIK, SBK, or something like it? How was it? Should I be freaked out? What am I supposed to do for the couple hours after surgery I won't be able to see? Talk to people out loud or something? Ew.

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I had eye surgery, but I went with the genetically engineered clone transplant eyeballs. Sure, it was more costly, but lasers still freak me out.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My brother had LASIK and loved it. I'm at the point now where I'd consider it because we're now sort of at the point where we can see what it's like a couple of decades out, since it's apparently only a one-time procedure?

5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
  6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, this is definitely my greatest hope.

Saintheart likes this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have yet to meet a single person who regretted having it; I've been polling people recently because I'm considering it (that's obviously not a huge sample size, but it's all I've got). My uncle had it about 10 years ago and my mom a few years ago and they are both very happy. The worst thing people is told me is about the halo effect at night, but it does eventually go away.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I've worn glasses for 20 years. I've gotten so used to them, I don't even notice that I'm wearing them.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I had LASIK (the lasers only version).

I won't lie; it's the most terrifying thing I've ever done. Like really. But it's totally worth it. I actually had to have it done TWICE; the first initial time took me from a -6 down to a -.5 and left me with myopia so I had to have glasses for driving/nights. So then I went back and got one eye touched up so that I'm now monovision (one eye stayed near sighted while the other is far sighted, so they balance out and give me perfect vision).

As for the terrifying part; my doctor's office actually gives you a stuffed animal. I thought it was stupid at first except then I had that little guy in a ninja death grip the entire procedure. I wish I had two because my other hand was just painfully digging into my other arm. So I'd bring something comforting (and squishable) just in case they're not awesome like mine.

What's so terrifying about it: well, the clamps and stuff hurt but just in an irritating way. Mostly because I'm claustrophobic and having machines sitting practically right over my eyes made me start panicking. It does smell a little like burning, but the actual laser part doesn't hurt (they numb up your eye). Mostly all you'll want to do is just blink and keep your eye closed (and your eyelid will just be fighting nonstop to close). Your vision does go away once they peel the membrane back, but by "away" I mean everything just goes really, REALLY fuzzy (and by really fuzzy, I mean way worse than my normal vision was). But all in all, the entire process takes like less than 10 minutes.

The pain is worst immediately afterward (and it's not like shooting pain, it's just irritating burn), which is why I was given 1 valium right before the procedure and then 2 more immediately afterwards. They just want you to go home and go to sleep so that your eyes will have some uninterrupted healing time and you'll sleep through the worst of it.

Also, you'll get clear lenses taped to your face and then a sexy pair of padded goggles to sleep in.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, bring big sunglasses for the drive home. The sun will hurt.

As to what to do for the rest of the day after your post-surgery nap? Ug, that was the worst. You can try and be naughty and watch TV/read a book/go online, but honestly, that will just hurt. Your head will hurt and eyes will ache if you try, so I suggest audio books and then just sleep some more.

Computers will hurt for a while and you'll find you can't stare at a screen for long periods of time at first. It took me 2-3 weeks for that to go away, but, again, I had super terrible vision.

Again, terrifying, but the liberation of not having to wear glass or contact lenses after 20 years of corrective vision is so, SO worth it.

Oh yeah! Showering and washing your face will suck for a month or so, because you can't get anything in your eyes. Also, no pools, no swimming, no Splash Mountain.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah I'm totally not okay with the whole peeling back the membrane thing.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Neither is OZK.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Like a potato!

EDIT: I was intending to reply to Vivec, but this works too.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Rach, my doctor specifically said they didn't want me to take a nap. They want me to keep my eyes open until I go to sleep at a normal time. They also said I'd be able to watch TV once it wasn't fuzzy. So it's interesting that's so different from what you were told. Interesting.

I was gonna ask about showering... I do have a bad habit of getting stuff in my eyes, and I know I'll have to avoid it. So I was wondering if I can just wear swim goggles when showering? And what are the eye shields like for sleeping?

Luckily I have at least a couple weeks until I have to work again so hopefully my eyes will be able to rest. And yes, Audiobooks are definitely a good option.

Good advice about the stuffed animal thing. I am definitely going to need valium... I got a little woozy just hearing them talk about the procedure, even though I didn't think it was gross or anything. But my body had a flight reaction for sure.

15. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
  16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Definitely interesting.

For showering, not sure about goggles. I just got really good at showering with my head tilted all the way back and using your hands to not let water down onto your eyes. I mean, a little is fine, but they just don't want contaminates getting into your eyes while it's still healing.

You only have to wear the shields the first night; the goggles are annoying. I usually would wake up halfway through the night and discover them missing. I think I was supposed to wear them for 2 weeks but usually gave up after 9 days. It's mostly that they don't want you rubbing your eyes.

Oh yeah, resist the urge to rub your eyes. It's very hard, but that's crucial for the first few months.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Alternately, you're a nerd posting on a Star Wars board: presumably you are familiar with going a couple of days without showering? :p

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Not everyone's gross like you, Dave.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Pffft, you know my showering habits better than 99.44% of the people on this forum. :p

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I had it done last year and shared my experience in this thread. :)

It's weird that they told you not to nap after the procedure - since the best way how to avoid the post op pain (which hits in after the anaesthetic wears out and is pretty bad - feels like your eyes have been scraped with sandpaper) is to take painkillers and sleeping pills and sleep through the worst of it.

I didn't need any weird things taped to my face like Miana, though - they did insert protective contacts that came out a couple of days later, but that was it. As my operation took place on Friday, I spent the weekend in my (darkened) flat, wearing sunglasses (light hurts the first few days), sleeping or listening to music. :)

Good luck with yours! [:D]

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Thanks for sharing your experience Mar.

Yeah I will definitely ask about the sleeping thing. My doctor is actually often listed as the top LASIK guy in the country and is the person who developed the bladeless procedure, so I trust he and his staff know what they are doing. But I will definitely ask about that. It's kind of a moot point anyway since I have horrible insomnia and am literally only able to take a nap once every couple years. So I doubt I'd be able to. Hoping to maybe get some pain meds at least...

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I would never recommend Ambien to anyone, but the OTC sleep-aids are brilliant for this, especially if your eyes will be covered.

23. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Does anyone know the risks involved for this kind of thing, with people who suffer from strabismus or photosensitivity? I have to deal with both, the latter due to a vitamin-K deficiency. Any ideas?

24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I still think sleeping through the worst pain is the best option (which is why I was issued with both painkillers and sleeping pills after the procedure), because a) you don't feel the pain and b) your body can rest and concentrate on healing. My doctor told me to sleep as much as possible.

My eyes also felt very swollen the first day afterwards and it took a lot of effort to keep them open, so I just spent my time in bed with my eyes closed, because it was the least painful/irritable way. :p Thankfully, the discomfort only lasted three days (unlike some horror stories of week-long pain I had read online), and only the first day was actually painful (the sensitivity to light remained for about 5 days).

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So how long exactly was it hard for you to watch TV or look at computer screens?