main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Laserdisc versions?

Discussion in 'Archive: Dayton, OH' started by corranhornjje, Apr 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Just curious if anyone in the FF had a laserdisc version of the trilogy? It'd be awesome to hook up to my set and have a screening of all the movies that have been released so far. Could be a grill out and watch movies weekend. Just curious, but I might just end up buying them myself. Gotta find a good LD player though. :)

2. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I don't have the laserdiscs, But Pada-1 I think has the laserdiscs burned on DVD so that could work. I would definetely be in attendence to that. :)

3. PADA-1

PADA-1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2003
    The format for the movies I have is called VCD for video compact disc. I don't think it is a true laser disc . If I remember correctly, laser discs were the size of records and there hasn't been a laser disc for sale since the late 80's. The VCD version I have is basically a MPEG format that you see when you watch video on a computer, only you can play these on a DVD player. The picture is great most of the time with the exception of bright flashes and rapid movement. The screen sort of flickers for the flashes and the rapid movement causes some pixelation. It's still better that VHS but not as good as a DVD. I found the VHS widescreen version of the original trilogy special edition at Disc Go Round which was a surprise. It is so much better watching the widescreen version, makes you feel like your watching a movie and not TV,plus there are little cool things on the side you don't get to see on fullscreen.

4. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    I have the VCDs as well. They're PAL though so I had to convert them to NTSC for my TV to handle them. They're marginal at best and while I'm glad I own them I wouldn't buy them again. I prefer widescreen format as well and like Pada said, these are not.:( Well I'll see what I can find then on ebay, they're going for a reasonable price. They still make laserdiscs for a lot of movies believe it or not. There's even LDs of the recently rereleased box set of the trilogy. They did a version right before the 97 rerelease and then a release of the SE versions too. Plenty out there, just gotta find the ones I want. Thanks all for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.