main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Last Chance: Myn and Lara >New Year, new posts, and yes, the end is nigh<

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Sephrenia

Sephrenia Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    [delurks]

I have to say I really enjoyed this story. Keep it up please :)

Up.

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    My goodness, a new reader, after all this time. How'd that happen? :)

Well y'all, the next post is at the beta-diva's: yu should be seeing it soonish. (c4rosses fingers)

Have a good one!

*Derisa*

3. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    woohoo!

-b-

4. Jedi_Vai

Jedi_Vai Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2002
    For the record, I have enjoyed reading your story very much!

I really like the relationship. It took long enough for them to get back together! :)

The sub-plot with CorSec is intriguing. Can't wait to read more!

Keep it coming!

5. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Derisa!
    More Please!
    Reb

6. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Hi, I just joined here. This is one of the best contiuations of any story I've read. I think this is for three reasons:

1) The writing quality is far and away very high.

2) The responses by the readers are enthusiastic and often insightful.

3) Finally, there is no sense that this is just a "wish-fulfilment" story - the characters don't just get back together, they are forced to grow, have backgrounds, and fight evil while getting back together. (I loved the description of Myn as "Your friend of the upright bearing and crusading tendancies.")

I do have a couple of questions about continuity, one external (with the published novels) and one internal (within the story itself). Neither damages the story significantly, but I have a tidy mind.

First, at the beginning of the story, Kolot is specified as one of General Derricote's (of the One Hundred and Eighty Worst) experiments. It was my understanding the Kolot and Piggy were actually Zsinj's projects, performed by people like Dr. Gast. General Derricote was under Isard's control.

Second, when Myn meets Kirney at the Crater, he gives her a brief rundown about his "crusading" project, and the shooting that morning. However, several hours later, he gives her another rundown on his activities and the shooting, and Kirney doesn't seem to remember any of the earlier conversation. Did I miss something? (Quite possible. I have read the story through about three times, and I keep finding things I missed. Perhaps I need to print out with a larger type.)

Anyway, thanks for giving these characters a new lease on life. I look forward to the rest of the tale (on the edge of my ejection seat).

7. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Wow. Um, dude! There are lurkers unlurking and new readers... how did this happen? :) Don't stop now! :)

Thanks for pointing those issues: Just so you readers know, the story will be extensively edited to catch such errors as those noted above, (and there are a few!) for when it is reposted to the Beyond the Saga forum later this year. Yay, Betty_Diva!

Anywho, we're coming around the clubhouse turn now, but here's the next post all betaed and purty. You all should really thank Rani Veko for her patient assistance and her invaluable insight: she's the only one who makes these posts readable.

Hope you like it!

*Derisa*

?It?s about your girlfriend,? Axel said carefully. ?I don?t think she?s all she seems to be.?

?I doubt you can tell me anything that?s going to surprise me,? Myn replied, his voice light, ?But feel free to try.?

Axel cocked his head at the younger man. ?Alright, then. The thing is, she showed up here some two months back, and pretty soon she?s part of the scenery. She?s got solid docs and recorded history, but it ain?t all real. I know this, I'm sure of it, but I can?t prove it.?

He eyed Myn, to see if he was getting the reaction he?d expected. The younger man sat back in his chair and gestured for Axel to continue.

?Rij is convinced he?s known her for years, ?cause she dropped all kinds of hints about his past, mentioning this tapcaf he worked at before he set up the Crater, made him ?recall? her as an occasional customer there, but there's no way she could have been. In the time he ran Digger?s place, her records show her as attending the Academy of Sciences on Drall. There?s even transcripts recorded, and with those marks, she wasn?t hanging around no spacer?s bar, you follow me??

Myn had to control his reaction to these revelations carefully or he?d let too much slip, but he was appalled that Axel could have figured out so much from just a few clues. He wondered at the man?s resources, until he recalled his father having squadmates and fellow troopers in all different lines of work, which came out to mean friends in a lot of unexpected places. He nodded.

?There?s a lot of other things that don?t quite add up, either,? Axel continued. ?Her accent?s not right. It ain?t exactly wrong, either, but there?s a touch too much Core there. Then there's the rumours about her co-pilot: lotta people say they've seen an Ewok in the [i]Future's[/i] cockpit, of all things. Now I'd wink at that and call it scuttlebutt, but I got some Verpine friends that do some repair work here, and they told me straight up that's the truth. Now that?s odd. I been all over, and I ain?t never heard of such a thing." He met Myn's gaze again, befrore continuing. Myn was relieved he wouldn't have to try and explain about Kolot.

"Now the thing is, most folks here are gonna look on it as a point of interest, but not address it with much curiosity: she picked a good port to call home. We all have our secrets, and we tend to respect the privacy of our fellow beings." Axel drew a breath, "And truth be told, she runs a clean op. Her rep is spotless, she drives a hard bargain but delivers as promised, she?s shrewd, smart, and a solid pilot. She ain?t living above her means, which would mark her as an agent of some larger body, catch my drift? That was my first guess, but she?s been here a bit long for a freelancer, but if she was supposed to make a contact and missed it, she?d be long gone. I just don?t get it.?

Pale eyes earnest in his grizzled face, he looked up at Myn, and the pilot noted how much more grounded and in control the older man seemed. The thrombosed veins in Axel?s face had faded, leaving him paler, almost ascetic. He wondered how long it had been since Axel had had a drink.

?Thing is, I was willing to let it slide, since she didn?t seem to be hurting anyone. Maybe she was somebody else once, but was here to try and make a new start on things. She wouldn?t be the first, in the wake of the war and all, and I?m sure she wouldn?t be the last. Then yo

8. Stoked1984

Stoked1984 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2004
    To be perfectly honest, I'm kinda dissapointed. The storyline for the chapter was good, it was just far to short. I measured it against some of your other chapters and its only about 2/3 the size of a normal one.

Don't get me wrong still entertaining [and is the only star wars FF i read], but its kinda like ordering a steak and epecting it to be a 16oz filet and it ends up being a 8oz filet. Still as good, just to small for your liking.

I dunno if you've seen this page or not, but it might give you some more insight into Myn and Lara.

http://www.aaronallston.com/faqswars.html

Anyways, keep writing, 1 chapter a month is too few.

9. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    A new posty! Wahooo! :D

?It?s about your girlfriend,? Axel said carefully. ?I don?t think she?s all she seems to be.?

Axel's pretty sharp, no? :)

?Rij is convinced he?s known her for years, ?cause she dropped all kinds of hints about his past, mentioning this tapcaf he worked at before he set up the Crater, made him ?recall? her as an occasional customer there, but there's no way she could have been. In the time he ran Digger?s place, her records show her as attending the Academy of Sciences on Drall. There?s even transcripts recorded, and with those marks, she wasn?t hanging around no spacer?s bar, you follow me??

Ooooh. He is sharp. So she shot herself in the foot, did she? Now that's interesting. [voice=Cap'n_Jack_Sparrow] Very interesting... [/voice]

"Now the thing is, most folks here are gonna look on it as a point of interest, but not address it with much curiosity: she picked a good port to call home. We all have our secrets, and we tend to respect the privacy of our fellow beings." Axel drew a breath, "And truth be told, she runs a clean op. Her rep is spotless, she drives a hard bargain but delivers as promised, she?s shrewd, smart, and a solid pilot. She ain?t living above her means, which would mark her as an agent of some larger body, catch my drift? That was my first guess, but she?s been here a bit long for a freelancer, but if she was supposed to make a contact and missed it, she?d be long gone. I just don?t get it.?

Well, her contact took his time, and she really wanted the deal... ;)

?Thing is, I was willing to let it slide, since she didn?t seem to be hurting anyone. Maybe she was somebody else once, but was here to try and make a new start on things. She wouldn?t be the first, in the wake of the war and all, and I?m sure she wouldn?t be the last. Then you come along and get everyone all riled. Now don?t get me wrong, it?s about time someone did, and I for one am grateful to you for the kick in the ass. You showed me I didn?t have to fall into a bottle, I might even be able to do something, to help somehow. But, with this Slane girl, if she?s playing more than one side? well, I would just hate to see you caught up in whatever web she?s been spinning here, is all.?

I'm liking this guy more and more. And Myn gave him back his self respect. He rules.

He was fascinated to see how many ways there were to crack a cover. He wondered if Kirney had any idea, or if it was a calculated risk she took every time she switched identities. Perhaps that?s why cover identities were only supposed to be used for short periods of time. The thing is, Kirney Slane wasn?t supposed to be a temporary persona... was she? The question made him frown, but he couldn?t deal with it right then and there. He filed it away for future consideration, and put his attention back on the man sitting in front of him.

Hmmm...

?So you?re saying I should just keep following my gut?? Axel asked with a grin. ?After the way you greeted her in the Crater, and the way she answered you... my gut says neither of you knows what the hell you?re doin?!?

Myn was momentarily puzzled, then recalled the wonderful softness of Kirney?s lips under his, and then the heat and sting of the slap on his cheek. He gave a wry smile. ?Yeah, well... who does when it comes to women, hey??

[face_laugh]

?I guess she?s not the only one starting over, then,? Axel said.

Myn nodded. ?No, she?s not, Axel. I guess none of us are.?

No, no one is. It's imposible to completely change everything...

And stoked: I disagree categoricslly, but there we go. But the link looks very interesting. :)

10. Stoked1984

Apr 30, 2004
    You can disagree all you want, but if you actually read the post you'd see that the only thing i said was bad about the chapter was its length. Everything else was praise. So do you disagree with my praise? or did you just read the first few words and decide to comment on something you haven't read?

11. darkhelmj

darkhelmj Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    Guess what? I'm another new reader! :D

Well, technically not, I've been following this fic since day one, but I haven't had the time to actually sign up for this forum.

Derisa, this is one of the more impressive star wars fanfics that I have come across, and definitely my favourite! I could go on forever about what I like about it, but lets leave it at this:

Your writing is superb, and you're understanding of Myn and Lara makes the story absolutely enjoyable to read! I can't wait to see what happens next - hopefully they will get together by the end.

:D I really liked the part where Myn's mother brought out his photo-alblum. That was brilliant insight into mother-hood. ;)

Keep on writing! :D :D :D

12. ShortySC22

ShortySC22 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2002
    Another month gone by and another chapter. This was good. I just wonder what Kirney/Lara's been up to well Myn's over here and I'd like to see more of them together. This is a really good story and I cna't wait to see it in the Beyond the Saga forum.

13. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    <walks into the Last Chance forum, looks at empty room.>
    imiller: "It sure is quiet here."
    voice: "That's because very few have been responding."
    imiller: "Who's that?"
    voice: "I am the spirit of...oh, wait, that's the wrong movie. I am Tonin, King of the Droids, and I am waiting desparately for someone (wink, wink) to write some more about me."
    imiller: "You're an astromech, and as far as I know not part of the Q9 series. So how are you speaking basic? And where are you?"
    voice: "You worry about continuity too much. Besides, this is just an UP post, not anything to do with the story (other than plead for more, of course."
    imiller: "Oh, okay. And I totally agree with that last part."
    <sits down to wait patiently, well, not very, but to wait, anyway.>

14. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Happy Dance Happy Dance!
    Thanks for the post - I was wondering if there might be a clever soul who might give her wonder!
    Good Job
    More Please
    Reb

15. egyptman-1313

egyptman-1313 Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2004
    *fizzle fizzle crackle pop*
    [violent delurking]
    oh no, my lurking field is failing!Last time i buy from jawas!(by the way, awesome story!)

I'll just give it a thwak...
    *pop pop spark*
    [relurks]

16. egyptman-1313

May 9, 2004
    Why do i get the sense that i'm the only one here?

17. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    What give you that idea? :p

18. egyptman-1313

May 9, 2004
    10 days lurking in solitude?

19. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Still here, still reading. Unfortunately my time has become quite limited :(

20. Stoked1984

Apr 30, 2004
    this story is starting to frusterate me. we get a incredibly short chapter, and then once again we are forced to wait a month for another chapter. i am seriously considering abandoning reading this story. If its not updated by the end of the week you can count this as one fan you lost to inactivity.

21. SpeldoriontheBlended

Apr 12, 2002
    Stoked: Ever heared of Real Life? I mean, I haven't got one, but some people on this boards do- including our wonderful author. Perhaps the reason she's not posting is the fact that you are being so negative.

Just think about it, 'kay?

22. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Um yeah.

Okay, let me detail for you how I spend the average week.

Monday I get up at seven, turn out the horses, make my kids breakfasts and lunches, send one of them to school, do laundry and housework neglected over the weekend. I deliver my youngets to school, and then do my barn work at one of the stables I work at. Then I pick my kids up, bring them home, they do homework and watch TV while I continue with the chores and housework. Around six, we go to the pony's place and take care of her, bring the horses there in. Then I go home, make my kids dinner, and put them to bed. Then I finish tidying and write for a bit, catching up on correspondence usually, and maybe do an hour on a story (this one, or a novel I'm prepping for publication). At about eleven, I go to bed.

Tuesday, sort of the same, except I do evening feeds on Tuesday and Thursday, 20 horses, turn-in, grain and hay, flymasks off blankets on, water tubs topped up if necessary: sometimes that's an hour and a half, sometimes much longer. When I'm done there, I head straight to the other barn and bring the horses there in. I'm usually too tired to write on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Wednesday, both my sons are in school all day, so that's the day I go to the food bank or take care of dental appointments and medical things for myself (I have fibromyalgia, a degenerative joint condition that is excruciating if I don't keep it maintained). The kids get off school early, so we spend some time together, often getting together with one of their friends as well. When I have the chance, I ride on Wednesday as well.

Thursday is the same as Tuesday, except its my other laundry day, so I have that as well. Sometimes I skip the laundry and go for a ride.

Friday I have all of what I have on Monday except laundry, and I take a five hour return ferry trip to drop my kids off with their dad in Vancouver.

Saturday I am up at 5, do the full day at one barn, then clean stalls at the other barn, then go back and finish the day at the first, sometimes finding the time to ride or teach a lesson.

Sundays is better, I do the early rise thing and then I'm off about eleven, if there isn't a show on. After that, I rest, maybe write some, then make that same five hour ferry trip to get my kids home in time for school the next week.

My online time is divided betwen my fan force chapter, my hobby as a medieval re-creationist, and my writingt. I write and post poetry, and to a blog, and then there are my stories here.

It is discouraging and a little angering to be threatened by a reader, who I though appreciated the story, but I understand your frustration. I have the posts drafted out, I know what has to happen in each one, but finding the time to put pen to paper or fingers to keys is sometimes more than I can manage.

I greatly value all of my readers, and to lose one because they are frustrated with me is sad, but I would prefer to lose a reader than be spoken to like this.

Perhaps, Stoked, you should wait for the edited repost, which will be posted in prep for submission to the Archives, later this year. I can even send you a PM to let you know when that's up, okay?

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the rest of you being patient with me.

*Derisa*

23. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    "What do you mean, I have to learn patience, Master? So how long will that take? Two, three hours?"
    - the kind of thing Derisa's padawan would say

- Rani

24. darkhelmj

darkhelmj Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2004
    Lol, I've been reading this story almost incognito since you began it, Derisa! :D I look at it this way - when there's no new stuff, do something else. When there is, CELEBRATE, because it's great! Take as much time as you want, we've been with you this far. ;)

25. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    No need to feel discouraged. Real life is always first priority.

Anyone interested in another Wraith Squadron fic? ;)

*surreptitiously points at his sig [face_whistling] *