Last Chance: Myn and Lara >New Year, new posts, and yes, the end is nigh<

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Aug 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Cargin Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, Corran couldn't go, because he's a CorSec deserter, and probably would be recognised faster than One Flight.

Kewl update. :cool:
  2. SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Master

star 4
    I dunno... I mean, Wedge, if not the others, is, appart fromLuke, Leia and Mon Mothma, pretty much the face of the Rebellion. Remember all that babykissing he does before XWRS?
  3. Sephrenia Jedi Knight

star 1
    They can always put on a disguise. Ask the Wraiths to teach them :)
  4. SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Master

star 4
  5. LumiKuningatar Jedi Knight

star 3
  6. Jedida Jedi Master

star 4
    oh my... I've missed so much! I can't believe it- I miss three posts and all of a sudden Hallis makes a cameo and everyone is on their way to Corellia!

Great posts :D Looks like everything is about to go down... I don't think Wedge really needs to worry about Wes seeing Lara though. Not that he won't recognize her, but when he does I don't think it will be that much of a problem.

The real problem will be when Wes sees Kolot, a real life Lieutenent Kettch...
  7. -thor- Force Ghost

star 4
  8. KirneySlane22 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Derisa... Hello.... Are you here????

I know that you are busy and everything... but do you think that we could get a post please? I really really really would like to know what happens next.

I even promise to delurk more often if we could have a post.

Please???? [-o|

Kirney
  9. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Working on it. WIll be writing on the ferry trip this evening. :)

Thanks for delurking, and posting. :) It's always nice to hear from the readers. :)

*Derisa*
  10. Stoked1984 Jedi Padawan

After 86 years the curse has finally been lifted! seems like its been that long since the last post.
  11. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah yeah. :) Well I am moving this weekend and on-line time will be very limited, but my actual writing time should go up. I will in all likelihood be posting weekly once I've finished moving and settling in. :)

Patience is its own reward?

:) Love you lotr, and hope you are having a safe and happy Halloween. :)

*Derisa*
  12. KirneySlane22 Jedi Knight

star 1
  13. REBADAMS7 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ahem, this one needs an up - and soon it will be Happy Holidays...please!!
    Reb
  14. Stoked1984 Jedi Padawan

It's november 12. we haven't even had thanksgiving yet. the holidays don't start till AFTER thanksgiving.
  15. REBADAMS7 Jedi Master

star 4
    I always think of Halloween as the start of the holidays for me....
    Reb
  16. Stoked1984 Jedi Padawan

uhhh...is this story going to be updated within the next month or so?
  17. -thor- Force Ghost

star 4
    Looks like Derisa's move has caused more than a minor interruption ;)
  18. Lucid_Lady Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I just finished a marathon read of about a year's worth of posts. As usual, every one of them was superb. Here's hoping for another post soon. (Oh and good luck with that move.)

ps- I liked the part about Myn's baby pictures. I think I dislodged a kidney laughing about it.
  19. -thor- Force Ghost

star 4
  20. REBADAMS7 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, New Years is right around the corner
    Hope your Noel was merry and Best for 2005 to Derisa and all the readers
    Reb
  21. Lucid_Lady Jedi Master

star 4
    This is a late Happy New Year bump.
  22. Tarrsk Jedi Padawan

New reader here... love the story so far! That it's written by a fellow Firefly fan is like icing on a tasty, tasty cake. Here's hoping that Derisa's absence is temporary, and that this story will find its conclusion at some point. :)

Veeeeery minor crit, more of a personal preference thing- I always liked how Donos was referred to by his last name in the narrative of the Allston books. It placed him at a distance from the reader, reflecting his own inhibited state, and making it slightly jarring (to good effect, I think) when another character calls him the more personal "Myn." I think the best example of this is halfway through Wraith Squadron, when Kell and Tyria run Donos through the simulation of the Talon Squad ambush. The scene is presented from Donos' point of view, but he is still written as "Donos," except in dialogue. Tyria calls him "Myn" directly, which affirms the emotional connection that has developed between him and the other Wraiths. The narrative's use of "Donos" (even after his acceptance of their help) affirms his essential Donos-ness, the core elements of his personality.

Now, admittedly he's a much less emotionally damaged person in Last Chance, but I've come to associate that sensation of mental disconnect between the reader and Donos with his character, a subtle reminder that even at his most social, Myn Donos is a very reserved man. It just slightly reduces that feel of verisimilitude for me when he is called Myn in the narrative.

On the other hand, having Lara referred to as Kirney makes perfect sense to me, considering that her questions of identity are inextricably tied to her character's development. Go figure. :D

Again, this is just a personal nitpick- I'd be rather surprised if people agree. Hope I don't ruffle any feathers. :)
  23. Stoked1984 Jedi Padawan

Firefly was the greatest american show ever produced. and the DVD box set was phenominal. Plus, there is a movie in the works that has a release date of mid to late april 2005. Check out the movie webpage at http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/
  24. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Firefly rocks.

Last Chance is not dead yet. I have so few bits left to write, and theyt are the exciting ones. I have a computer again, and more in the way of time than I had before, so we're alsmot good to go, and thank you to all of you for your patience. And OMG a new reader. Welcome, Tarssk! And good critique, something I will certainly take into consideration when I do the revise on this story, and maybe try a few chapters like that to see how it works. It is characteristic of Allston's writing that his protagonists are referred to by their last name, something he shares with a number of action and suspense authors. I shall have to give it a try, and thank you for defining it so concisely.

:) Happy new year to the crew, and I'll do what I can to send a post your way soonest, okay?

*Derisa*
  25. REBADAMS7 Jedi Master

star 4
    thanks for the update Derisa, here's hoping for something for....Groundhog Day?
    Bests
    Reb
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.