main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Last news topic from main page, Orson Scott....

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by GandorfMightysword, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GandorfMightysword

GandorfMightysword Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2002
    This guy says MIB2 is better then AOTC? Sonnefeld may be a great director but he went totally wrong with MIB2. It's wasn't half as good as the first one and no where near as good as AOTC. An 88 minute film just isn't gonna cut it. It's less then most animated kids movies. I guess Big Trouble was only 85 minutes, but that movie was hilarious, even though it was out of theaters really quick. I would say MIB2 is probably one of Sonnefeld's worst movies. Did anyone else see MIB2 and like it better then AOTC? I think the only thing I liked in MIB2 was the beginning short film. All the trailers show most of the jokes from the first hour of the film and after seeing these trailers so many times the actual movie wasn't funny.

2. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Ah forget Card, what does he know? When was the last time he created an immortal epic on par with the Illiad?

3. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    here is his whole review of AOTC:

"How bad is Attack of the Clones?

Well, I have friends whose little kids actually liked the movie, and my eight-year-old didn't hate it, so it's not a total loss.

But the special effects are surprisingly blurry and ineffective, especially after having just seen "Spiderman." Apparently shooting a movie in high-definition digital video only works if you also project it onto the screen as HD video.

I have to give the actors credit -- there were moments when they actually made me overlook the excruciating badness of the dialogue and enjoy their performances.

But nothing could overcome the mind-numbing boredom of watching meeting after meeting, in which people sit around and discuss trivial and obscure points that we never understand or care about.

Even when something "emotional" happens, it's almost an afterthought. Suddenly, quite late in the movie, Anakin has a dream about his mother and then takes off to save her, only to arrive too late, whereupon he ... embraces the dark side of the force.

Ludicrously enough, Natalie Portman's character, after Anakin tells her the atrocities he committed, marries him anyway without even a hint of soul-searching on her part.

Both the science and the magic have no meaningful rules. Sometimes the technology can detect minute intrusions; sometimes whole spacecraft can enter a planet's atmosphere undetected.

Sometimes Jedis can jump from tall buildings without harm and sense the presence of worms in another room, but other times a big hulking warrior can sneak right up behind them.

And even though it's cool watching Yoda in a swordfight at the end, it's just infuriating that Anakin and Obiwan are so injured that they can't move and Yoda has to go to silly lengths to protect them -- until the moment the fight ends, whereupon they jump right up.

I don't know of a science fiction writer so bad that he or she couldn't have done a better job on coming up with a plausible story than this one. Science fiction doesn't have to be bad. That's George Lucas's own achievement.

Filmmakers really ought to be prevented from sticking closely to stories they thought up before they turned ten."

heres the link:
    http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2002-05-20.shtml

4. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    who is this guy ORSON SCOTT HARD. probably some freak who hasn't made as mcuh money as Lucas and is jealous and bitter beacuse he never will! i love how all these failed sci-fi hacks are comeuign out of the woorwodrk and bashing Lucas just for theri 15 minutes of fame that they wouldn't have otheriwse. Boo-hoo-hoo baseghers scum!!!Q

No thanks SCOTT HARD, I'll take lightsabrs and clone armies anyday. Did somehbody say JANBGO FETT!!!!

5. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Nasty! The man's entitled to his opinion though but much of what he critisizes , such as ..
    But nothing could overcome the mind-numbing boredom of watching meeting after meeting, in which people sit around and discuss trivial and obscure points that we never understand or care about" apply to whoever the "we" he considers himself to belong to. That "we" does not include me and the rest of us, I suspect who do care enough about the story to spend time here on the board..

BTW I forsee this thread deteriorating very shortly into an Orson Scott Card bashing/gushing thread [face_plain]

6. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    BTW I forsee this thread deteriorating very shortly into an Orson Scott Card bashing/gushing thread

I knew a bashing/gushing thread was on its way as soon as I saw "Orson Scott Card Bashes Clones" on the Latest Headlines. And within hours, here it is. I must be a Jedi Master.

Yes, the headline does say "bashes". How's that for objectivity?

7. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Ah forget Card, what does he know? When was the last time he created an immortal epic on par with the Illiad?

Hmm... I'm going to go ahead and assume you are being sarcastic. So I have to ask. Is it really that good ?[face_plain]

8. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I'm not about to call Card a hack or any other names because he didn't like AOTC or even for sneaking in some cheap shots. Having said that, I thought his review was waaaaaaaay off.

9. T_R_O_N

T_R_O_N Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Whatever one thinks of AOTC, good or bad, it STILL was better than MIB 2, or Spiderman for that matter.

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm ashamed to say I have never heard of Orsan Scott Card :eek: I have know idea who he is, or what he wrote :eek: Maybe I'm ignorant ;)

11. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I've never heard of this guy either, but it has got me thinking about the general bashing that AOTC has received in the US press.Nearly every review I've read is negative, why?.Over here in the U.K., the reviews have been 90% positive, many ecstatic in their praise !!

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Thats absolutely right. Not just here in Britain, but throughout most of Europe, the response has been fantastic :D

I think Europeans can get into the political themes, the dark Machievelion (spelling) undercurrents. The highly complext plot. The fact the movie isn't black and white, but shades of grey.....

13. blackjack86

blackjack86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2002
    I used to be a huge fan of Orson Scott Card. I think I've read at least a dozen of his books, although there are many more. He wrote ONE classic novel called "Ender's Game" that they're making into a movie. He hasn't been able to come close to that achievement since. I was into his stuff as a young teenager, but now when I go back and read his stuff it sounds trite and sophomoric. He once said, "If you're going to be a writer, don't be an English major." Hmmm, that's interesting considering some of the greatest writers ever were Literature majors. His stuff doesn't challenge on any kind of deeper level, and it seems like every other chapter there's a naked kid running around.

That being said, I don't think Card is in a position to criticize Lucas, even if he does make some very valid points; such as the odd recovery-rate of Obi Wan and Anakin and the point about Jedi senses. Some of it doesn't add up, I'll agree. But I did read Card's "Ender's Shadow" which is a revisiting of the whole Ender story from another person's perspective. The book was luke-warm at best. Nothing brought the original's excitement or involvement. We already knew the characters, and Card barely brought anything new to the table. It was a bad choice on his part; and I think five minutes of Lucas is worth 100 pages of Card. Lucas may not like scriptwriting, and he may just be out to "revolutionize the way we make movies" (his ****ing mantra) and he maybe doing a sub-par job in doing it, but Card does not come anywhere close to Lucas's myth-making capabilities, or his visualizing, or his vision. Card is capable of different kinds of stories, although they all seem to take their cue from one another and blend together into one simple formula. Lucas can't do a love story to save his life.

There is a reason why Lucas is more well-known that Card; because he's a better story-teller eventually. Not immediately, but eventually. Card his pizzled out, Lucas has always been there.

14. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    "But the special effects are surprisingly blurry and ineffective, especially after having just seen "Spiderman."

You, sir, are an idiot!
    This clown is reviewing AOTC as if it was a serious sci-fi film, not a space adventure. I don't care what books he's written, right now I wouldn't urinate on Mr. Card if he was on fire :mad:

15. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    Say didnt this guy write the book that Iron Maiden's album "Seventh Son of A Seventh Son" is based on?

I think the book is called simply "Seventh Son" but I've always been curious about this.

16. Kelyne

Kelyne Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 1999
    Yikes, harsh words. I would probably take them seriously if they were mentioned with any other movie, but MIB2, you have too be kidding. The man must really be out of touch. What a real pile of rubbish. Just read at Rotten Tomatoes, MIB2 got hammered by almost everyone. Orson again proves why authors should stick too writing and stay miles away from film making. I give him a virtual slap on his dome. Sit down......b@#$.

17. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    I think Orson can kiss off any chance to write bad dialogue for another LucasArts game.

This man has really destroyed his own credibility by saying Men In Black 2 was better than AOTC.

Just to add insult to injury, Orson, I'm a better writer than you ever will be. It's quite odd that I think AOTC is great while you think it is garbage.

Anyway, it not like he's actually reading this, though.
    What a pity.

18. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Any credibility that Card may have had in offering his thoughts on AOTC pretty much went out the window for me with the overall acidic tone (has he been taking notes from hardcore bashers on these boards?) and his lame comparisons to MIIB and Spider-Man. I thought Spidey was great but better effects than AOTC? Not quite.

19. yoda900

yoda900 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I will agree with the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it sound to me like he (Card) is just another whiner coming up with and stretching way out on a limb to make AOTC look bad. This is poor taste in my judgement.

But maybe there is a reason his name is Card, becuase he is one.

now his points are not even valid.

The scenes with people talking about political stuff is all of essence to the film, to the saga, without it, noone would know what is going on.

The thing about jedi senses, well yes obi and ani both jumped 500 stories in the air and could sense danger and what not, but to say how did a huge crablike creature sneak up on him from behind? well the answer is this: It seemed to me Obiwan was incredibly very busy focusing on hundreds of battle droids shooting laserbolts at him and besides I think if the Ackley had gotten any closer to him without the droids hinting at it, he would have felt its presense and turned around anyway. Who are any of us to question what any jedi senses or does not sense.

As far as the 2 jedi being beaten by dooku, well Dooku is the most powrful and trained one we ever saw in a SW film going against 2 very powerful jedi but both are very very young and inexpereinced in comprison.

I also did not at all find the stuff Yoda had to do silly. Would any of you call a pillar falling on someone and thier master concetrating to save them silly?
    If Jar Jar did this, yes I would call it silly.

20. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Actually, I believe he was referring to Mace Windu sneaking up on Dooku when he talks about a "hulking warrior". I made the same kind of mistake. I think it's the "hulking" that throws people off. :D

21. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    Well, then, Card must have missed the point about that scene. Dooku wasn't surprised when Mace Windu ignited his lightsaber. He just looked back and pleasantly greeted Mace. It's part of his character - he doesn't care about the Jedi because he's above them.

In any case, the only good book I've read from Card was Ender's Game. The sequel to Ender's Game was garbage. I didn't even finish it. And all the other books I've read from him are garbage. He is definitely not as good a story teller as George Lucas. So his opinion about Star Wars isn't of any consequence.

22. Imperial_Guard

Jun 13, 2002
    Good point about the Mace/Dooku scene. Now that I jog my memory, it makes perfect sense. If Dooku was actually surprised, he would have shown it. He allowed Mace to sneak up, being arrogant and knowing that a Jedi would not kill by sneaking up from behind.

Kind of similar to the Sith arrogance displayed by Maul toying with Obi-wan in TPM and the Emperor letting the Rebels land on Endor in ROTJ. It's just more subtle here because he doesn't actually say, "I allowed you to sneak up on me, Master Windu" because his calm expression already says it. Too bad Card didn't watch it a little closer.

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    In my opinion the relationship between "Ender's Game" and "Speaker for the Dead" is a lot like the relationship between ANH and ESB. "Speaker for the Dead" is a beautifully written pure science fiction story, while "Ender's Game" has more mainstream appeal. It is a great story and a very fun read.

If someone has read only one science fiction novel in the last twenty years, "Ender's Game" is probably it.

It's not that Card lacks credibility. However, his criticism of TPM was much more eloquent. He said nothing about AOTC that hasn't already been said a million times.

24. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    The 'seventh son" book is the Alvin Maker series. A very entertaining series about magic in the colonial days.

I just finished reading "Enchantment" which was also a great book.

No need to try and compare him to Tolken expecting a LOTR type novel though. He writes purely entertaining novels. He's not looking to write an Epic. He is writing to entertain people, and the rest of the Ender series is very entertaining, if not silly at times.
    The Bean series gets more serious, so if you were put off by the silliness, you may try them, since they take place in the same time period as Ender's game.

If you haven't read his stuff pick one up.
    The Homeworld series is great stuff too, about a failing computer satelite system, that has an entire planet under its control... until it needs repair.

He has just as much right as anyone to bash a movie, as it is his opinion.
    Ender's game was as much space opera as SW is.

25. Marsguo

Marsguo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    Orson ? Isn´t that the pig from Garfield ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.