main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Last news topic from main page, Orson Scott....

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by GandorfMightysword, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    who is this guy ORSON SCOTT HARD. probably some freak who hasn't made as mcuh money as Lucas and is jealous and bitter beacuse he never will! i love how all these failed sci-fi hacks are comeuign out of the woorwodrk and bashing Lucas just for theri 15 minutes of fame that they wouldn't have otheriwse. Boo-hoo-hoo baseghers scum!!!Q

No thanks SCOTT HARD, I'll take lightsabrs and clone armies anyday. Did somehbody say JANBGO FETT!!!!

It gets old...

2. Marsguo

Marsguo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    edit : removed orson pic

3. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I WOULD say something...but I'm too busy reading the article on Spider-Man in the new Cinefex magazine :D

4. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Ack, what are you doing reading THAT filth? It's not Star Wars! It SUCKS, yo!

5. Auge_Der_Sturm

Auge_Der_Sturm Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 13, 2001
    Card is just looking for some instant attention. He hasn't been relevant or important in years, so the easiest way to get people to notice him is if he takes on something as visible as SW. He's mostly PO'd because Warner Bros won't let him make the "Ender" movie the way he wants it to be(see related AICN story). If you ask me, he's jealous of Lucas. GL can make any movie he wants however he wants, and millions of people will see it, and Card will never be in that position.

Other than that, he's probably upset because of that poster featuring a picture of Jake Lloyd pretending to read "Ender's Game." After TPM, nobody wanted to be associated with Jake, not even an attention whore like Card.

6. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Well, I would admit that he is just voicing his opinion, which is perfectly acceptable.

But seeing as his review is just GAPING OVER with things that don't make sense, gripes that ONLY a person who was set on ripping the film, andthe criticizing of what Lucas LIKES and ENJOYS to make...now, that is my problem with his terrible review.

Also, when you review a movie, regardless of whether you like it or not, you should still explore everything that happened. He mentioned how he didn't like the story- why? He didn't like the effects, "after seeing Spider-Man." Uhm. Sorry, but Spider-Man's effects were vague compared to AOTC. I mean, he just doesn't review the movie at all, rather than just bashing everything he found wrong to it.

7. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Ack, what are you doing reading THAT filth? It's not Star Wars! It SUCKS, yo!

Filth? I happened to be an EXTRA in it, YO!!! :mad:

But you're right. I'm just reading it to see how they did the effects. That, and it DOES have some cool pictures. :)

8. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Is that the latest one with Yoda on the cover and a feature on Episode II as well?

9. Wuffy

Wuffy Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2002
    I don't care much about feeding into a basher/gusher debate, but Card comes across from his recent statements as patently uninformed and perhaps resentful of success that isn't is.

Beyond his ridiculous statements about AOTC, he recently gave an interview where he characterized modern literature as a private conversation between writers, where the object is not to tell a story, but to write something as technically good as possible. Literature, he surmises, isn't for the masses. Only folks like him who can tell stories, and not neccessarily 'well', can reach an audience.

I suppose if I had no literary credibility, I would detest what I percieved as the 'in crowd' in modern lit as well. I suppose if I only had one good book and a litany of others that mimic it, I would be jealous of someone who is seemingly doing the same thing to much greater success.

He's entitled to his opinions as we are to ours, of course. However, it's difficult to take him seriously when he first makes asinine comments about literature, and then somehow comes to the conclusion that MIB2 is a better film that AOTC. It may be funnier, it may not have dialouge that makes you wince, but it has a heart and soul, which MIB2 doesn't.

Darb

10. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Card is a hack. But not to worry, all of the people who bash Star Wars just for the sake of it (i.e. people who don't actually review the merits of the film) will get theirs eventually. What goes around comes around. If any of these people become as famous and recognizeable as GL or SW (which is highly unlikely) then they will have people blindly attack them. So the people like GL who just go about their business making the best movie they can and doing things right will win out in the end (if they haven't allready). And people like Card will wallow in mediocrity because they can't produce anything of merit themselves, they can only tear down what others create...

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    But you're right. I'm just reading it to see how they did the effects. That, and it DOES have some cool pictures.

Eh, you know me (I think) I was just kidding. Spider-Man was a cool movie. Very cool. In fact, so cool, that it is easily one of the best films of the year for me.

...too bad it still doesn't compare to Episode II in my book.
    ;)

12. Auge_Der_Sturm

Nov 13, 2001
    I don't think it's fair to call Card a hack, but his bashing of SW is clearly self-serving.

13. TwistedMentat

TwistedMentat Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2002
    Orson Scott Card is a good writer (not a hack like Anderson). I don't think anyone on these boards ever had a best seller or will have one.

However, I do think that his opinions and criticisms aren't that well thought out.

Its just like reading reviews from any other place/magazine/critic. Same BS over and over.

Pay it no mind. He can be one of the greatest authors ever, but he can still be fallible.

[i]But the special effects are surprisingly blurry and ineffective, especially after having just seen "Spiderman." Apparently shooting a movie in high-definition digital video only works if you also project it onto the screen as HD video.[/i]

Moot point. Watch it in digital Card.

[i]I have to give the actors credit -- there were moments when they actually made me overlook the excruciating badness of the dialogue and enjoy their performances.[/i]

SW has never been known for Shakespearean performances or dialouge.

[i]But nothing could overcome the mind-numbing boredom of watching meeting after meeting, in which people sit around and discuss trivial and obscure points that we never understand or care about.[/i]

Its not that hard to understand. Its amazing that 5 year olds can understand ESB and AOTC, while adults can't.

[i]Even when something "emotional" happens, it's almost an afterthought. Suddenly, quite late in the movie, Anakin has a dream about his mother and then takes off to save her, only to arrive too late, whereupon he ... embraces the dark side of the force. [/i]

That scene was done quite well, Hayden did a great job as well as Ms. August.

[i]Ludicrously enough, Natalie Portman's character, after Anakin tells her the atrocities he committed, marries him anyway without even a hint of soul-searching on her part. [/i]

Very good point here.

[i]Both the science and the magic have no meaningful rules. Sometimes the technology can detect minute intrusions; sometimes whole spacecraft can enter a planet's atmosphere undetected.

Sometimes Jedis can jump from tall buildings without harm and sense the presence of worms in another room, but other times a big hulking warrior can sneak right up behind them.

And even though it's cool watching Yoda in a swordfight at the end, it's just infuriating that Anakin and Obiwan are so injured that they can't move and Yoda has to go to silly lengths to protect them -- until the moment the fight ends, whereupon they jump right up.

I don't know of a science fiction writer so bad that he or she couldn't have done a better job on coming up with a plausible story than this one. Science fiction doesn't have to be bad. That's George Lucas's own achievement.

Filmmakers really ought to be prevented from sticking closely to stories they thought up before they turned ten.[/i]

But thats that point. Star Wars harkens back to the whiz-bang serials of Flash Gordon where inexplicable and laughable stuff happens all the time.

14. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Does anyone else think that review is so bad that it almost sounds like he's being sarcastic?

PS-Mr. Card. Its not Sci-Fi its fantasy. Maybe that's the problem.

15. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I second that...

Ludicrously enough, Natalie Portman's character, after Anakin tells her the atrocities he committed, marries him anyway without even a hint of soul-searching on her part.

Very good point here.

Not really a good point at all. If your spouse or BF/GF killed the people who killed someone close, would you leave them? I wouldn't. I mean, if my girlfriends' parents were killed, and she killed the people who killed her parents, I'd agree with it.

Anakin deserved to kill them, and I think Padme agrees.

16. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    People will justify whatever they want if it makes them feel better. It's quite believable that Padme justified Anakin's killing in her head.

17. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Does anyone really care what Orson Scott Card thinks? His opinion is no more valid than anyone on this forum.

18. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Well weezer, i guess it's really impossible to tell at this point, since the SW saga is still being told, and isn't even 30 years old yet. But IMO it is really that good.

All the lightsabres and star destroyers aren't even essential to the awesome story, which could have been told in any milieu, and to tell the truth, all the sci-fi in SW is pretty cheesy stuff. It's the epic quality of the story that keeps me coming back for more.

19. Qui Gon Binks

Qui Gon Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 1999
    Some serious science fiction writers don't like Star Wars...remember Harlan Ellison.

20. Auge_Der_Sturm

Nov 13, 2001
    Harlan Ellison doesn't like anything. :p

21. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    Card may be a great writer, but he has lousy taste in movies if he thinks that the stale creampuff MIB II is better than the full gourmet meal of AOTC.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think most moviegoers would be hard-pressed to decide which movie was more shallow if they had to choose between MIB2 and AOTC. Just because AOTC takes itself seriously doesn't make it more substantial.

23. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Jaba, don't you get tired of bashing AOTC? Why come here if all you have to add is more bashing. I know, I know, you have valid "points of objection" about the movie. Why not just say you don't like it and move on. Do you enjoy getting under SW fans skins that much? What movie(s) do you like? Why don't you go to their boards and discuss them? Probably because there aren't enough fans of your movies to warrant a site. So go ahead, every group needs a leech who doesn't have any friends of their own. Stay as long as you like.

24. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    wow look at all the Orson Scott Card bashing!

25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Luckily, I don't have to justify my fandom to anyone here but the moderators and the good folks at TFN who've put up with me for more than 3 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.