main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Last news topic from main page, Orson Scott....

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by GandorfMightysword, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wuffy

Wuffy Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2002
    I think it's as presumptive as Card is about AOTC that people who post here have never had or will never have a best seller, therefore the opinions of those who post here don't have a validity that Card's do.

Card being a bestseller does not make him an authority on anything. Nor would it anyone else here who might be a published author.

Darb

2. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    quote:

When was the last time he created an immortal epic on par with the Illiad?

this is a joke right?

oh, and i find it dificult to disagree with most of what Card had to say. no use for him as a writer of course.

3. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    The Iliad? I once tried to make that into a film. Some advice: Don't bother. What a nightmare.

Orson Scott Card: OK writer. One great book. Couple of good ones. Lots of dull ones.

Does it matter what his opinion is? No. There aren't that many great space operas around these days in SF literature. More's the pity.

4. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "Orson Scott Card: OK writer. One great book. Couple of good ones. Lots of dull ones."

thanks for your OPINION.

5. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I was being clever, you see, by giving my OPINION of his work as if it was fact. Mine's as worthwile as his, you see?

Christ, it's like a nursery school in here. Do I have to explain EVERYTHING?

6. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Hell no it was no joke.

7. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I love Card's books (not quite as much as I love SW, but he's still incredible), and the AICN report regarding the battles he's having to fight to get a decent adaptation of Ender's Game on the screen, made me see red. I hope his will and common sense prevails in the end.

However... There's so much needless vitriol in his review of AOTC that I can't help but picture him thinking "Hey, my works are better than Lucas'! Why do I have to jump through hoops to get my oh-so-superior project made?" I'm no psychologist, but I'm chalking his rant up to envy. He feels Lucas is not as deserving of success as he is, and begrudges him not only his success, but his total independence from the Hollywood monster, which he could use right about now.

8. RagnarRocker

Jun 27, 2002
    BWAHAHAHAHA, 'total independance from the hollywood monster'

I love it! So true, so true.

9. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    All this endless AOTC bashing by the media is getting a little old. Check that: a LOT old!

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Tolkien>Card.

I'm amazed that someone who has apparently written worlds with such depth can be so shallow when it comes to a universe that easily rivals the ones he has created. If I were him and noticed that it has worked for millions of fans over the years, I'd ask myself what I'm missing, and that perhaps others are seeing something I'm not.

11. RagnarRocker

Jun 27, 2002
    I agree, he should be reviewing himself, not Lucas.

But what does this mean

'Tolkien>Card'?

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    It's a shorthand way of saying Tolkien's better than Card.

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The worst Orson Scott Card book is still better than the best Star Wars EU novel. He's not a great writer, but he's among the best by science fiction standards which are, admittedly, low.

But still I value his opinion as a writer, even a genre writer, in his critique of AOTC's dialogue which is among the worst I have ever heard in a mainstream Hollywood movie.

14. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    But still I value his opinion as a writer, even a genre writer, in his critique of AOTC's dialogue which is among the worst I have ever heard in a mainstream Hollywood movie since the original trilogy.

I hope you don't mind my clarifying your post.

15. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    The worst Orson Scott Card book is still better than the best Star Wars EU novel.

Err...

16. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I never had any intention of ever reading Ender's Game,or any of his other books,and I think I'll keep it that way,based on what he's said about AOTC.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Don't forget Timothy Zahn. He's not your run of the mill writer.

18. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I saw Card once speak to students in the Brigham Young University film department about his troubles getting Ender's Game made into a movie. Much of the time was spent bashing Quentin Tarantino and calling him a hack. It made me think he was either very frustrated or resentful of Tarantino's success. He criticized the "Royale with Cheese" speech in Pulp Fiction for being banal and not carrying the story along.
    He went on to criticize all sorts of movies for strange nitpicky reasons. When I read his comments on AOTC all I thought was "here he goes again."

19. RagnarRocker

Jun 27, 2002
    I couldn't agree more Knightwriter. Tolkien is another master of the epic.

As for Card, he sounds like a real jerk. Why should anybody care what some sci-fi writer thinks about SW for gawds sake?? That's like a soap writer mocking Card for lame romances in his books.

20. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    "his critique of AOTC's dialogue which is among the worst I have ever heard in a mainstream Hollywood movie since the original trilogy."

Ha, ain't it the tooth? :)

21. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Actually, I'll take Card over Tolken any day when I want to have fun reading.

If you think Card is boring other than Enders Game, then maybe what you are looking for is a lot of big action scenes. He doesn't write that way. He writes more like a mystery writer putting pieces together into a big puzzle for you to figure out. His stories are very interesting for those who are looking for the mental challenges rather than the physical ones.
    Ender is a hard book to make into a movie. There is no way fans will be satisfied with it.

(Try "Homebody" for a well thought out thriller.)

I also think that his criticisms of AOTC are mostly unfounded, but a fan of SW sees things different than a non-fan.

It also deals with the suspension of disbelief which I see a lot of people don't have these days. It's hard when you know too much about a field, to be able to just enjoy it anymore. Since so many people know about SFX techniques these days, its harder to suspend the diebelief and just enjoy them.

Look at old monster movies. People used to think they were actually realistic, but when you look at them now, you can instantly see the bluescreen work, or what is a model and what is not.

It is a sign of the electronic age we live in.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think Card is largely living in a fantasy world about "Ender's Game" being made into a movie. I think he talks about it constantly with the hope of drumming up support, but it is by no means a sure thing that the movie will ever happen.

The OT scripts had a much higher writing quality than the PT. Lucas had better help from the ANH and ESB scripts than he got for TPM (none) and for AOTC (Hales - worse than no help at all). Luckily, Hales is back for Episode 3, ensuring that it will be as bad as, and therefore entirely in line with, the rest of the PT.

23. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Again, Jaba, why do you post here? What movies do you like? I guess you can cross "bash SW" off of your list for the day....what a waste....you wouldn't know what it's like to be a fan if your life depended on it....I know, go ahead and take another shot...it won't change the fact that you must tear others down to make yourself feel better...

24. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Well, (side-stepping a little brush fire erupting above me)- wasn't there talk of "Enders Game" being made into a movie a couple of years ago (just before TPM was released), starring none other than 'lil Jake Lloyd? Perhaps the deal fell through and OSG is drinking a juice made with some very, very acidic grapes :)

25. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    ya know,

if I was card and wanted to get my book made into a movie I would be slightly more diplomatic in my crtiques. Especially since GL has lots of money and also owns a little company called ILM.

Then again it's possible he tried this route already, was shot down and is now a little bitter about it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.