main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Last news topic from main page, Orson Scott....

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by GandorfMightysword, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    DOOKU2004, I guess I have to count you as part of my fan club then since you spend more time bashing me than you do actually talking about Star Wars.

Chewies_bandolier, I think you'll find that over the years practically the only source of "Ender's Game" movie rumors has been Card himself. If AICN mentions it, Card has almost always been the source. Card is understandably trying to keep a constant pr hum going about the movie, even though there isn't one even close to being greenlit.

2. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Apparently it is a "real fan"'s duty to berate and attack the character of anyone who makes a negative remark about anything Star Wars. Thankfully I am only a "fake fan" and not one of these "real fans".

3. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

I love gushers.

In fact, I adore them.

4. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    does anybody know why Ender's Game is not progressing on the movie front?

5. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

It's a difficult and risky book to film. If the Rama and Childhood's End projects turn out to be money spinners, though, I am sure other unfilmable sci-fi masterworks such as Ender will also be turned into movies.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I think some people saw the Harry Potter movies in general, and the Quidditch match in particular, as proof of concept for the viability of an "Ender's Game" movie.

"Ender's Game" requires a core cast of competent child actors with adult playing only peripheral and supporting roles. Also, it's effects-heavy and would require that the kids do an enormous amount of blue screen work. It's the kind of movie that a studio would be unable to produce for less than $125 million yet, on the downside, "Ender's Game" is just a pulp/genre classic, not a mainstream megahit like Harry Potter. The built-in audience does not justify the potential budget.

7. TwistedMentat

TwistedMentat Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2002
    Not just child actors. Really GOOD child actors.

Who else can play psychotic 10 year old geniuses?

8. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    It's not my job to bash anyone making a negative remark about SW. However, I do feel justified in calling attention to idiots who bash SW repeatedly for no reason. People who don't like it have said so and move on to other things. Jaba, however, stays around and bashes daily(hourly). Why some of you excuse his behavior as "someone with right to have his opinion" is beyond me. Call a spade a spade. Jabba is a basher and you people love to make excuses for why his opinion matters. I won't get into your likely political views....

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Actually, I don't think anyone has to excuse my behavior, least of all me.

I agree Ender's Game would need a minimum of about 10 highly gifted child actors, 50 competent ones, and another hundred or so to fill in the spaces.

Spielberg could do it, but it's hard to imagine a director would really want to take it on.

TPM is a good example of what happens when a director without a talent for working with child actors works with child actors. Jake Lloyd could not have possibly been as bad as the dialogue and directing behind his performance.

If Spielberg Directed and Lucas produced, then I'd call "Ender's Game" a sure thing, but obviously that will never happen.

10. Sithchilde

Sithchilde Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2002
    "I won't get into your likely political views..."

Ooooo, that sounds...foreboding!

What could they be???

No, seriously, I want to know!

11. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Good job javva, keep on bashing...."I hate SW but post all day on their message boards." Jake did a great job. Lucas did a great job. Anyone expecting oscar-worthy performances must HATE the original trilogy. It's Sci-Fi fantasy. It's supposed to be cliche'd. Of course you know this but you bash away nonetheless.....it's your choice. I'm just amazed you spend so much time on a message board for movies you find so appalling.

12. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    DOOKU2004, Jabba has a right to his opinions, whether or not you consider them to be "bashing". If you disagree with something he says, argue the issue itself -- not the person. Alternatively, you may ignore his posts and continue on to the next ones in the thread.

13. TwistedMentat

Mar 11, 2002
    DOOKU2004, just ignore him. I don't like what he posts either but I can ignore him. He has nothing good to say about Star Wars yet he spends hours on a message board concerning the same movies he hates.

Sad.

14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    ANH and ESB are two of the least cliched, most entertaining sci-fi/fantasy films ever made.

I think it's a tribue about how we as Star Wars fans have been asked to lower our standards that these boards are full of posts like:

"It's sci-fi, of course the dialogue is lousy. It's supposed to be lousy."

"It's sci-fi, of coursethe story is cliche[/i]."

15. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    Furthermore DOOKU2004, you may wish to read the first few paragraphs of this thread:

Welcome New Users

16. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Tokyo, I believe you are a good SW fan. However, I am just calling Javva on the fact that he's a basher and an idiot. His motives are bad. He/She comes over here and bashes and bashes. True, I could go on to the next post and I probably should. But if no one else feels like calling him/her/it out, then I gladly will. He/she/it still has yet to say what movies are his/her/it's favorite. Allow us to bash his movies 24/7. Tokyo, I think you'll agree that it's fair for us to give our "honest differing opinions" about his/her/it's movies.....

17. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    And the inevitable:

Of course it's a lousy movie. It's supposed to be a lousy movie.

In my opinion, I mean IMO, cliche is probably one of the worst things a movie can have... essentially, an element so overused and threadbare that it has long ago lost its original impact.

Excuses for cliches are even worse. All I can say is "avoid cliches like the plague". GROAN.

18. TwistedMentat

Mar 11, 2002
    Just drop it, its not going to do you any good.

19. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    Jabbadabbado may be a basher and I agree that he bashes too much but,so what?He often makes good points about TPM.Daveed does the same thing(except without making good points)why not get on his case?

Without thee bashers these forums would be mighty dull.

20. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    dahveed is an idiot also....

21. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    they're not idiots,they just have strong feelings.

22. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    I don't mean cliche'd as a bad thing. I mean it as the style is like the serials GL grew up with. That is the style that GL has always had in SW. It's the same guy doing all of the movies. It's his vision. He hasn't changed, some of us have. And I don't believe Javva ever liked ANH and ESB. He simply says it to appear to have credibility.

23. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    Idiots is a little harsh. I apologize to all of you (javva and dahveed) who I have called idiots. I do think you're gutless, however, I'm an idiot for calling you idiots...

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    As long as you feel comfortable stating your opinions about what I believe and don't believe, I feel comfortable criticizing TPM and AOTC.

ANH and ESB are my two favorite sci-fi/fantasy films. ANH is the second most popular movie ever made and will continue to be decades after the PT films have been forgotten.

Back on topic...

Orson Scott Card came out with one of the most intelligent critiques of TPM I ever read, and that's why I'm willing to listen to what he has to say about AOTC. Unfortunately, I don't think his comments about AOTC were particularly original, just more of what we've already heard many many times.

About TPM, and I wish I had a link to the review, he noticed that although the movie played up the final friendship and cooperation between the people of Naboo and the Gungans, it went out of its way to take an incredibly paternalistic, patronizing attitude toward the Gungans, making them look childish and superstitous, tribalistic and unsophisticated. The movie sidetracked its own message by playing Jar Jar as a bumbling bafoon, and opened itself up to criticisms based on the seeming racial stereotypes built into some of the aliens.

Card was careful to note that he understood the movie had no racist intent or deliberate efforts to evoke racial stereotypes.

It was an exceptional review of a problematic movie.

25. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    I truly believe you're full of it Javva.... AOTC is so much like TESB...if you loved TESB I find it hard to believe you hate AOTC....it just doesn't fly...if people start drilling you, then you throw a little lie out there about loving one of the movies and people start liking you again...it's pathetic...just admit it, you hate SW...I could respect someone who admits it but not someone who lies about it and then bashes and bashes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.