Last news topic from main page, Orson Scott....

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by GandorfMightysword, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

I'm glad you take what card says about the movie into account more than what the actual maker of the movie says....
  2. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    Off the top of my head:

"this party's over" (AOTC)
    "...sitting ducks" (TPM)
    "that's got to hurt" (TPM)
    "oh, not good" (AOTC)
    "how wude" (TPM)
    "what a drag" (AOTC)
    "I'm beside myself" (AOTC)

...and that's just the dialogue :(

The main reason cliches are universally despised is because they exist in place of original, illustrative writing. The only good C-3PO line in AOTC is "...machines making machines, how preverse". That was great. Everything else was wretched. Or at least mediocre (I don't know which is worse -- to be completely terrible, or to be dullingly mundane).

Consider Han Solo's line from SW: "we could fly into a star or bounce off a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick!"

and then compare it to the TPM line: "we'll be sitting ducks". I apologize if the quote is wrong; you have to admit it's not a very memorable line. A sitting duck is not a strong visceral image to begin with.

Or what about comparing "I truly, deeply, love you" to a simple Han Solo "I know"? It's not so much the words that are bad (they ain't great), but at least Han Solo put a great new spin on the old standby "I love you". The most memorable line in the movie!

My Jedi senses now tell me that one of my fellow Star Warriors will point out that "how rude" existed in ESB. But consider that ESB was a full 7 years before the atrocious Full House and the Olsen Twins betrayed and murdered that line.
  3. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    DOOKU2004, I understand you're arguing from a position of complete ignorance, but I'm happy to correct your misapprehension. :)

The written record for the last 3 1/2 years is crystal clear and unwavering about my opinion of ANH and ESB. Your opinion on this matter is ignorant and wrong. There's no other way to put it.

4. SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Master

star 4
    Just becuase AOTC is a lot like ESB dosen't mean a person has to like it....I could even see someone NOT liking it for that very reason.
  5. DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Tokyo, what a fun life you have. Go watch a movie. Enjoy movie. Come home and start bashing same movie. Pick movie apart. Pick some more. Defend Javva. Pick apart movie from 3 years ago. Defend Javva.....It's sad that you can't just enjoy the movies. Oh well, there's still a ton of us who love the movies and don't feel the need to disect, bash or pick apart our favorite movies...
  6. Duckman Jedi Master

star 4
    Leave Jabba alone. He's one of the few bashers I can stand :)
  7. DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Javva, your record is meaningless. You contradict that record every day you bash away....call me what you like, because you know i speak the truth. By the way, what are your favorite movies?(again)
  8. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Anyway, my final word on the Scott Card thing is that I respect his work as a genre writer and wish his remarks about AOTC had been as creative and insightful as his critique of TPM.

DOOKU2004, I haven't called you names. You're simply ignorant about my opinions and beliefs. The more you claim to know what I think the sillier you look.
  9. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    Well, I still don't know who he is, and I don't agree with what he says, BUT:

I LOVE THIS GUYS NAME!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D

Anybody know if Orson Scott Card is a real or made-up name? ;)
  10. DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Javva, the fact that you think i'm ignorant makes me feel good....why won't you say what movies you like? I know the answer but want to see if you'll actually give it....
  11. TwistedMentat Jedi Knight

star 2
    "Anyway, my final word on the Scott Card thing is that I respect his work as a genre writer and wish his remarks about AOTC had been as creative and insightful as his critique of TPM."

I wholeheartedly agree.

Dooku2004, its okay to criticize the movies. ANH, ESB and ROTJ were bashed during the 80's. (don't read the SE reviews, go find stuff from the 80's)

They complain about the same things we see today.

The cheesy lines (aka bad dialouge), the Ewoks (aka Gungans), special effects (aka CGI), etc..

Just stop draging this thread down. />
  12. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    DOOKU2004, did you read that "new users" link yet?

I should question your motives for being here. Only 20 posts, and the majority of them are flames. Do you ever post about the Star Wars films themselves? Movies you might have seen 25 years ago, 22 years ago, 19 years ago...
  13. Marsguo Jedi Knight

star 2
    [image=http://www.comedix.de/grafik/hefte/band15.gif]
  14. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    I'm still waiting to hear if it's a real name? ;)
  15. DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Yes tokyo, i do post about the movies themselves. I have read the message boards a long time before actually posting..it's funny, my posts are "flames", however, bashers are just expressing their opinion. You amaze me. I take exception not to javva's opinions, but to his motives. He's a basher plain and simple. Why doesn't he say what his favorite movies are so that we can give them the ANAL EXAM that he gives the SW movies. It's because he's a hack, plain and simple....
  16. Marsguo Jedi Knight

star 2
    No , he´s adopted the name of his idol :

[image=http://www.garfield.com/comics/meet/images/orson.gif]

Meet Orson, the mild-mannered pig who all the other farm animals look up to. Orson loves to read and share stories with the other characters. He encourages the other characters to use their imaginations when they hear a story -- often with hilarious results!
  17. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, since you refuse to read the link, here's some clarification:

QUESTION #7: What is "flaming"?
    Insulting any other Jedi Council member, or antagonizing another member can be considered "flaming". This is absolutely unacceptable behavior, and will result in a stern warning, and if it is repeated, a banning.

Here's the important thing to remember: We're here to discuss ideas and theories, not each other. If you?fre attacking an argument, that?fs okay. If you?fre attacking a person, that?fs not, and you may be expelled from the Jedi Temple.
  18. DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Tokyo, thank you for reciting the rules so wonderfully....If calling Javva a hack is considered flaming, then ban me...I'm going to continue to call javva out for his MOTIVES not his OPINIONS....but keep defending him and while you're at it feel free to let him talk you into changing your opinion of the movies too....
  19. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    I thought Orson Scott Card was either one of the EU writers, or the name of a U.S. battleship. It's definitely the name of a sci-fi writer, because I don't think anyone else uses their middle names as much as they do.
  20. Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    DOOKU2004

I don't agree with him all the time but leave Jabba alone. Jabba and Tokyo usually state their opinions in a well justified manner. They are never offensive to other users and their opinions should be respected as much as any "gusher's" opinion.

To each their own.

Just leave it alone.
  21. Qui Gon Binks Jedi Knight

star 1
    You know what's interesting is Orson Scott Card did the dialouge for "THE DIG", a game developed by LucasArts, based on a concept by Steven Spielberg.
  22. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'm sure I've given my list of favorite movies before somewhere... but I'll be happy to play along:

1. Star Wars (1977)
    2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. The Exorcist
    5. The Godfather
    6. Goodfellas
    7. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    8. The Fellowship of the Rings
    9. Alien
    10.Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

As you can see, my taste in movies is entirely conventional. My second 20 gets a little goofy, but I won't give you that list.
  23. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Qui Gon Binks, I didn't know that about "The Dig." I believe that was a moderately popular game title, although I never played it. Do you think Card is somehow bitter about his business relationship with Lucas? That would be interesting.
  24. DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

I like your list, however, FOTR was not oscar-worthy. Peter Jackson changed the films from the original feelings of the books. The books were great, however, the film just could not be expected to mirror the passion of the books.....for example, why eliminate Tom Bombadil? Why change the love story? If you're going to make a movie about a famous and classic story, then don't change it. Present it as it's meant to be done....Just my .02
  25. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    Man Jabba, you do like mainstream stuff don't you?

I agree with many of your choices but Willy Wonka?

Oompa Loopa, doopity doo. :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.