main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Last news topic from main page, Orson Scott....

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by GandorfMightysword, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Yeah, that's a credible argument, but FOTR worked for me as solid entertainment and an apt tribute to the literary work. I think if I hadn't read the books many times as a child, I would not have loved the movie as much. I see FOTR's greatness in its status as companion to the book, more than I think it is a masterpiece of cinema.

2. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    "The Dig" will never never never NEVER NEVER match DIG-DUG, or the awesome sequel that none of you ever played, but that I did in fact play, and did in fact beat... DIG-DUG WORLD.

I bet you're jealous.

3. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Your crazy, the sequel to Dig-Dug didn't have the excitement that the original had! The dialogue was worse too.

:)

4. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    Jabba, just for curiosity, what is you second part of your top twenty favorites. You said they get goofy, so I was wondering.

5. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    quote:

As you can see, my taste in movies is entirely conventional.

exactly. the gushers want to believe so badly that we criticize the PT movies because were movie snobs or something. or because of the media. or because we just like to be critical. or some other stupid reason.

AS hard as it is for you to accept, these movies SUCKED BEFORE we pointed out the fact that they sucked. I wanted very badly for these movies to be well-crafted and entertaining. thats all. AOTC at least was entertaining at times, but it had most of the same problems as the unbelievably tedious TPM.

Its okay to like a lousy movie. like jabba, i have a special place in my heart for Willy Wonka (i used to watch it on HBO like every other day as a kid), but im also perfectly aware that its far from a great film.

6. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Darth, it's not the same game; the game I played was definitely "Dig-Dug World", and not the dippy island sequel.

The gameplay was pretty similar to the original, but the hero was able to acquire power-ups for the pump (spear-gun I remember being one), and after each successful level (or set of levels), you were able to choose your path to different territories (with different types of dirt). There were some other advancements too, but it's been about two years since I played it. I have done many Web searches for this game since, and have not found any images or information. Also, the cabinet was obviously imported from Japan, because it had a 100Y slot! Stay tuned.

7. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    >>>exactly. the gushers want to believe so badly that we criticize the PT movies because were movie snobs or something. or because of the media. or because we just like to be critical. or some other stupid reason.<<<

Yeah, the excuses that some gushers come up with for why others hate the PT are pretty weak. I readily accept the fact that some people have different tastes, or like Star Wars for reasons other than mine.

But I would like to point out that more than half of Jabba's favorite movies are scifi/fantasy flicks from his childhood(or in the case of LOTR, movies that closely follow stories he read as a child). It's so much easier to attach yourself to a movie when you're a child.

I still watch movies. I even like some of them. But even my favorite recent movies just can't compare to the feeling I get when I watch the original Star Wars, or Indiana Jones, or Back To The Future, or whatever other semi-well made movies I liked as a kid. I love the PT, and I suspect I'll like Indy IV too. But I've long accepted the fact that, for me, nothing will ever match the originals. Nothing--no sequels, no remakes, no cheesy tv spin-offs...nothing.

Maybe it's time for some other people accept this as well.

Looking at Star Wars as objectively as I can, I'd say the only difference between the OT and the PT is about 20 years.

8. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    dahveed, why are you here....why don't you and javva go to the classic trilogy forum instead of hanging out in the AOTC forum. I know it's not as fun as bashing but it's alot more honest....the movies sucked for you because you wanted them to, however, they have been loved by a ton of real fans....

9. DOOKU2004

DOOKU2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    dahveed and javva, i believe you truly love TPM and AOTC....you can say otherwise but what else can explain why you're talking about them in the AOTC forum long after they've been released????

10. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    The original Dig Dug was great and beautiful.However on DIG DUG WORLD the acting was stiff,the dialogue terrible,and they went way too far with the CGI!It was almost nothing but COMPUTER GENERATED IMAGES!

Dig Dug World raped my childhood.

11. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Haha.

By the way, are you people sure Orson Card(teehee, his name isn't nearly as cool without his middle name) wrote the dialogue for The Dig? I could have sworn it was Alan Dean Foster.

12. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    Yes SW3 the animation was horrible for Dig-Dug World. It was almost like I was playing a video ga...

Wait, what are we talking about now? :)

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Alan Dean Foster sounds like a more likely candidate. He wrote "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" and so had a business relationship with Lucas from that went back to the very birth of Star Wars EU fiction, speaking of which, "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" is better than a few of Card's novels, so I take back what I said earlier.

Jabba's favorite movies, 11-20

11. Ravenous, a movie someone once described to me as "perhaps the finest tragi-comedy about cannibalism ever made."

12. Night of the Comet. One of the most attrociously stupid B movies ever made. I don't know why I love this campy piece of low-grade sci-fi horror comedy.

13. Casablanca

14. Manhattan The best Woody Allen movie

15. Rushmore Like Manhattan, an absolute comic masterpiece.

16. She's Gotta Have It A Spike Lee movie worth watching

17. Forbidden Planet The forerunner of classic Star Trek

18. Metropolis The forerunner of just about every sci fi movie

19. Nosferatu Made the same year my grandmother was born. Still the best vampire movie ever made.

20. Rules of the Game The best movie ever made.

14. DOOKU2008

DOOKU2008 Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2002
    Jabba, I couldn't agree with you more regarding your opinions of TPM and AOTC. They are horrible movies and the dialog was terrible. And I love ANH and TESB. Despite all of this, I will stay here on the AOTC boards and support your every post. I mean, I would hate to be labled a flamer and get banned....

15. TwistedMentat

TwistedMentat Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2002
    You know, making a new username after being banned results in worse punishment like permanent banning.

16. DOOKU2008

DOOKU2008 Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2002
    Can we all just get along here? I believe those of us who have problems with the PT have a right to discuss our differing views without the threats from gushers wanting to ban us. I believe as Jabba and Dahveed believe, that TPM and AOTC lacked substance in the script and character development. That's a valid opinion of the movies...

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    For future reference: I try hard to stick to threads that seem to invite real debate on the merits of AOTC. I don't believe I've ever rained on the parade of threads that seek to be full-on cheerleading for the movie or where posters claim to have used Anakin's dialogue on a date. Let people have their fun, I say.

18. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    Guys who use Anakins lines on a date need some tips on seduction.

19. DOOKU2008

DOOKU2008 Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2002
    I couldn't agree more Jabba, let us discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of AOTC in peace.

20. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    Those aren't that goofy Jabba.

11. Ravenous. I thought this movie was pretty darn good. Not enough to rank in my top 20 though

12. Night of the Comet. Hilarious B movie. Classic when I was a kid.

13. Casablanca. Can't argue with that.

14. Manhattan. Best Woodie Allen movie, IMO.

15. Rushmore. One of the funniest movies ever.

16. She's Gotta Have It. Good but not for my top twenty.

17. Forbidden Planet. Classic.

18. Metropolis. Very old classic. Did you see the version with the 80's rock soundtrack?

19. Nosferatu. Awesome, but I thought Salem's Lot was better.

20. Rules of the Game. Never seen it.

Those aren't that goofy. When you get into top twenty fav's you really get into personal taste.

Mine
    1. Star Wars (1977)
    2. TESB
    3. Fight Club
    4. AOTC
    5. CaddyShack
    6. Rushmore
    7. Swingers
    8. Legends of the Fall
    9. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    10. ROTJ
    11. Se7en
    12. TPM
    13. The Manchurian Candidate
    14. The Contender
    15. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    16. Brazil
    17. Unforgiven
    18. Princess Bride :) (I know, I know, but I loved it as a kid)
    19. Casablanca
    20. The Color of Money (Big pool player)
    21. Real Genius.

I think thats a little more goofy. You seem to like the classics, I see?

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Unforgiven
    Fight Club
    Princess Bride
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Real Genius

definitely all make my top 30.

I've seen the 80s soundtrack version of Metropolis, although I have a different version on DVD.

Salem's Lot is great, but it can't quite escape its made-for-tv-ness. But you can't beat James Mason and a young and sexy Bonnie Bedelia. I love the main actor's disco-era pick up lines. Anakin could learn a thing or two from this mini-series.

22. bleh19

bleh19 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2001
    Real Genius!?!?!

One of my favorite comdies ever...Val Kilmer is absolutely brilliant in this movie.

23. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    Salem's Lot is great, but it can't quite escape its made-for-tv-ness.

Quite right, but I'll always remember how it scared the living piss out of me. I'm glad that you agree about Unforgiven, though. Even with its critical acclaim and awards, people don't mention it very much. I, personally think that it is one of the best, if not the best, western ever made. I guess there's not a lot of love for westerns these days.

They just started playing Real Genius on cable recently. I don't care how "80's" this movie is, I will never get tired of it. Probably because I have a physics degree.

I still love the Princess Bride simply because the humor is so clean, yet it is still so entertaining. A very pure, heart-felt, fun flick.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Is "Real Genius" available on DVD? I haven't seen it in years.

Unforgiven has such low-key, understated dramatic power, with a kind-hearted intelligence lurking behind its violent, hard-assed exterior. I like it so much because it's more sentimental than it pretends to be.

25. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    Im not sure if its on DVD yet. I think I may have seen it at the store, but don't hold me to that.

I agree completely about Unforgiven. Despite its Academy Awards, I still find it to be underrated with many movie fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.